Bowl Games Thread

100%.

The football game was decided at that point so I think the outrage over the call lasting this long is a little outlandish but yes, that was absolutely targeting per the letter of the rule. Interestingly enough, that type of play was one of the driving factors for the ejection and subsequent suspension enforcement. If Brandon Peters is concussed and misses time due to the fault of the defender, that defender should also miss time. Or so the argument went.
I could not agree more that would stop alot of the cheap shots

I could not agree more that would stop alot of the cheap shots

Well, here’s where things get murky and where I agree with RamRod, who’s argument was/is spot on. The suspensions don’t actually seem to be curbing the behavior. I don’t have any data to back this up and as such I could very well be off base but from what I see in-game, kids seem to be leading with their helmets just as often as they had before the rule was implemented. In that regard, the punishment is severe but not giving us the intended result of changed behavior. As such, is the severity of the punishment actually warranted? I’d say it’s up for debate.

Well, here’s where things get murky and where I agree with RamRod, who’s argument was/is spot on. The suspensions don’t actually seem to be curbing the behavior. I don’t have any data to back this up and as such I could very well be off base but from what I see in-game, kids seem to be leading with their helmets just as often as they had before the rule was implemented. In that regard, the punishment is severe but not giving us the intended result of changed behavior. As such, is the severity of the punishment actually warranted? I’d say it’s up for debate.

Leading with your helmet also invites the potential for severe injury to one's self. It's ended more than a few HS, NCAA, and Pro Football careers. Proper tackling technique needs to be taught throughout all levels of football so that once a player reaches the upper levels, its ingrained. This would take a concerted effort, and time....

Last edited:
Leading with your helmet also invites the potential for severe injury to one's self. It's ended more than a few NCAA and Pro Football careers. Proper tackling technique needs to be taught throughout all levels of football so that once a player reaches the upper levels, its ingrained. The would take a concerted effort, and time....

Exactly. Very, VERY well said.

This is why the whole “This rule sucks, let them play football” argument is utterly ridiculous. This isn’t football.

OSU has the time, but haven't played real well this half..... I don't really care who wins here. It's been a fun game to watch.

I would pay actually money to sit in the film room Monday to break that down but from how that play developed, it’s seems fairly obvious to me that Fields misdiagnosed it.

I would pay actually money to sit in the film room Monday to break that down but from how that play developed, it’s seems fairly obvious to me that Fields misdiagnosed it.
I'd love to get the autopsy report on that last play too. Looks like Olive cut the route short at the same time the ball was released. If he finishes the route, I think it's six. It's the same route they scored the go ahead TD on, right?

Fields reaction seemed to be one of a guy who's receiver didn't do what he expected him to do. It was a look of disbelief.

I'd love to get the autopsy report on that last play too. Looks like Olive cut the route short at the same time the ball was released. If he finishes the route, I think it's six. It's the same route they scored the go ahead TD on, right?

Fields reaction seemed to be one of a guy who's receiver didn't do what he expected him to do. It was a look of disbelief.

I don’t think so.

What I know for certain is that’s an option route off the safety. What I don’t know for certain is what his route is supposed to be based on that read and why Fields didn’t also read it. My best guess is it’s an option post/corner. If the safety moves its post, if he sits in the deep middle it’s corner(So where the WR looks like he stops, I actually think he’s breaking to the corner). Fields didn’t read it that way though, he’s clearly reading post from snap to delivery. In this scenario, he’s at fault. He must be aware of the option reads.

Could be way off though. I obviously don’t know how this call is designed or coached, i only know it’s an option.

EDIT:

The kid just told a reporter it was an option route and he climbed down because he thought Fields was leaving the pocket. My guess was wrong.

Last edited:
I don’t think so.

What I know for certain is that’s an option route off the safety. What I don’t know for certain is what his route is supposed to be based on that read and why Fields didn’t also read it. My best guess is it’s an option post/corner. If the safety moves its post, if he sits in the deep middle it’s corner(So where the WR looks like he stops, I actually think he’s breaking to the corner). Fields didn’t read it that way though, he’s clearly reading post from snap to delivery. In this scenario, he’s at fault. He must be aware of the option reads.

Could be way off though. I obviously don’t know how this call is designed or coached, i only it’s an option.
Awesome breakdown!

Seriously, you're a major asset to this board. Good work!

Awesome breakdown!

Seriously, you're a major asset to this board. Good work!

LOL, probably need to see the edit I added. My guess was wrong. It’s an option route but the kid climbed down because he read Field leaving the pocket.

Tough mistake. One that happens all the time.

BZuppke

Plainfield
As to Ryan Day and Ohio State one could easily conclude that the program has not and will not miss a beat. This could very well be true but nothing lasts forever (see USC, Texas and others). This also could be Day’s high water mark. Time will tell.

As to Ryan Day and Ohio State one could easily conclude that the program has not and will not miss a beat. This could very well be true but nothing lasts forever (see USC, Texas and others). This also could be Day’s high water mark. Time will tell.

They’re still tOSU. They have some many kids coming back and coming in, if I’m a betting man I’m not putting money down against them.

BZuppke

Plainfield
Well if they take a step back I agree it wouldn’t be a total collapse. I’m suggesting falling back enough that some one else in the Big Ten has a chance to beat them.

Well if they take a step back I agree it wouldn’t be a total collapse. I’m suggesting falling back enough that some one else in the Big Ten has a chance to beat them.

Gotcha.

It’s possible but on paper I find it hard to believe we’ll see anyone with the QB play strong enough to out duel Justin Fields, assuming it got to that point.

I'm assuming LSU will crush Clemson, but I might just be buying into the SEC myth. :)

They should crush Clemson. That is no SEC myth. If you watched both games it’s obvious. Unless targeting comes into play again or more baffling officials decisions.
I could end targeting today given the opportunity. NO MORE HELMETS! Like rugby. Won’t happen of course. Helmet manufacturers too much influence and MONEY!
I can also eliminate need for the horse collar penalty. How? Tear away jerseys for RB’s , QB’s and receivers. Won’t happen. Why? Jersey manufacturers. But the NCAA cares about safety more than money right? Right.

They should crush Clemson. That is no SEC myth. If you watched both games it’s obvious. Unless targeting comes into play again or more baffling officials decisions.
I could end targeting today given the opportunity. NO MORE HELMETS! Like rugby. Won’t happen of course. Helmet manufacturers too much influence and MONEY!
I can also eliminate need for the horse collar penalty. How? Tear away jerseys for RB’s , QB’s and receivers. Won’t happen. Why? Jersey manufacturers. But the NCAA cares about safety more than money right? Right.

Living in Florida, I see a lot of SEC games as well as B1G games with the B1G Network. LSU has depth, and good gosh their DL is loaded with a rotation. Losing an OL didn't even hurt their offensive performance at all. So much talent on that team. Starting RB Edwards-Helaire plays a few snaps...eh, they don't really need their starting RB to win and win big. Those players are unreal and love Coach O.