Bowl Projections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 19448

D
It is nice to have 3 games left and not be hearing jokes about the toilet bowl. Like the above poster I’ll be good with any bowls. Get the 6th win. Anything beyond would be gravy.

I get nervous posting a thread like this without 6 wins.

But, as long as we go bowling, I don’t care where.

It’s still possible we don’t go. MSU and Iowa are tough road games. And northwestern is a rivalry, so it would still make their season to keep us out. But I just saw no bowl as one of the options

Quick Lane is an easy flight and overnight stay for us. Going south might be nicer. But, a Bowl Game anywhere is acceptable.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Quick Lane is an easy flight and overnight stay for us. Going south might be nicer. But, a Bowl Game anywhere is acceptable.

Guessing that 7th win is necessary to head south.

SampsonRelpenk

Edwardsville, IL
Guessing that 7th win is necessary to head south.
I'm clinging to hope for the Music City Bowl. Three hour drive from me, and I've got friends I could stay with. Purdue went last year at 6-6 (5-4), so it's possible.

ESPN:

Quick Lane Bowl
Duke v. Illinois

CBS:

Quick Lane Bowl
Florida State v. Illinois

247:

Quick Lane Bowl
Louisville v. Illinois

I would love this. It would give us a home game atmosphere and the dates are perfect given that I hadn't planned on attending a bowl game.

Getting a win against MSU will really open up the options. If we don't become Bowl eligible until our game with NW on Nov 30 we will probably head to the Quick Lane.

https://www.si.com/college/michigan/football/michigan-football-bowl-projections-week-10-2019

Fiesta Bowl National Semifinal
3. Clemson (13-0) vs. 2. Ohio State (13-0){8-0}
Rose Bowl

Penn State (11-1){8-0} vs. Utah (12-1)
Citrus Bowl
Wisconsin (10-3){6-2} vs. Georgia (10-3)
Outback Bowl
Texas A&M (7-5) vs. Minnesota (10-2) {8-0}
Holiday Bowl

USC (7-5) vs. Michigan (9-3){7-2}
Taxslayer Bowl

Kentucky (6-6) vs. Iowa (8-4){6-2}
Pinstripe Bowl

Louisville (6-6) vs. Indiana (8-4){7-2}
Redbox Bowl

Arizona State (7-5) vs. Illinois (6-6){5-4}
Quick Lane Bowl

North Carolina (6-6) vs. Michigan State (7-5){4-4}

Next up would be Nebraska (4-5)

Note: Big Ten bowl agreements often call for a game to avoid the same team within a 5-year window if at all possible, and that was factored into how the teams are slotted here.

We need to get to 6, will MSU game decide the Redbox vs Quick Lane bowl if these projections hold true..or since MSU was in the Redbox last year it looks like at least SI thinks we may get a bump...to get any higher will be tough, like win out tough and give us a chance to jump Iowa.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Let's just fly the team to Detroit and spend two months playing every non-Clemson team in the ACC.

Detroit is an underrated city. I’m biased because my mom’s family is all from there, but I’ve had some good times there.

Dallas would be great, too. Direct flights from Champaign to DFW!

And Nashville would be awesome. Hella fun city.

Detroit is an underrated city. I’m biased because my mom’s family is all from there, but I’ve had some good times there.

Dallas would be great, too. Direct flights from Champaign to DFW!

And Nashville would be awesome. Hella fun city.

Edit because I am an idiot. Music City is in Nashville. Liberty Bowl is in Memphis.

Enough with all this optimism!!!

I have decided the best way for me to ensure an Illini victory on Saturday is to write an extended post that will immediately become irrelevant upon gaining their 6th win...

Thus APR bowl eligibility!

It's been a few years since this was relevant to Illini fans, so here's a little review. If there are more bowl slots available than there are 6+ win teams, the bowls start taking 5-win teams. These teams are taken in order of their Academic Progress Ranking (APR), which is based on graduation rate, player retention and things like that. Illinois is in pretty good position, tied with 5 other teams for 22nd in the rankings.

There were 3 APR teams selected to bowls in 2015 and 2016, but there hasn't been a single one in both 2017 and 2018. So there's no guarantee for even the top ranked 5-win APR team that they'll get to a bowl.

There are 38 bowls. That means 76 teams go to bowls out of 130 FBS teams.

As of right now, 45 teams have become bowl eligible with 6 or more wins, leaving 31 bowl slots to be filled.

Of the remaining teams, 5 have 8 or more losses, leaving 80 teams to fight out for bowl slots.

Taking out the teams that have either been eliminated up (have 6 or more wins) or been eliminated down (have 8 or more losses), Illinois is currently tied for 10th place in the APR standings.

1. Northwestern
2. Duke
3(t) Vanderbilt, Washington
5(t) Boston College, Nevada
7. Stanford
8. Louisville
9. Temple
10(t) Illinois, Middle Tenn St., Arkansas

So, absent a 6th Illinois win, we want teams that haven't become bowl eligible to keep losing, especially those teams on the above list.

I'm not sure the tie breakers or the order in which bowls that don't have slots filled get assigned APR teams. I'll research that if it becomes relevant.

I'll try to update the numbers as games are played so long as Illinois is sitting on 5 wins. Temple could lock down a bowl bid with a win at South Florida tonight. Tomorrow night, Tulsa could be eliminated from bowl contention against UCF and Washington could clinch a bowl bid with a win at Oregon St.

Heading into Saturday:

47 of 76 bowl slots have been filled.

5 teams have been eliminated.

78 teams still competing for 29 bowl bids.

Illinois' current standing among still-eligible APR teams:

1. Northwestern
2. Duke
3 Vanderbilt
4(t) Boston College, Nevada
6. Stanford
7. Louisville
8(t) Illinois, Middle Tenn St., Arkansas

There are about 20 games today that could either clinch a bowl bid or eliminate a team from APR consideration. I won't list them all, but basically any game where a team has 5 wins or 7 losses counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.