Status
Not open for further replies.
Some new projections by others:

Action Network
Illinois v. Louisville in the Quick Lane Bowl

Illinois v. North Carolina in the Pinstripe Bowl

Sporting News
Illinois v. Virginia Tech in the Pinstripe Bowl

Count me as one who’d rather be in Detroit than NYC for Pinstripes.

Despite it being a “better” bowl I think NYC is just not going to be fitting of a college football experience. Travel into NYC and hotel costs will be annoying. Location relative to Yankee stadium not ideal of most hotels. Not even sure what the deal would be for tailgating / post gaming. At least in Detroit you have everything concentrated downtown around Ford Field and travel will be reasonable

Despite it being a “better” bowl I think NYC is just not going to be fitting of a college football experience. Travel into NYC and hotel costs will be annoying. Location relative to Yankee stadium not ideal of most hotels. Not even sure what the deal would be for tailgating / post gaming. At least in Detroit you have everything concentrated downtown around Ford Field and travel will be reasonable
And it is indoors.

TMC999

Not Iowa
Michigan just played the Outback Bowl a year or two ago. They’re pretty much locked in to the Holiday unless they beat OSU, then maybe the Citrus is an option.

Us and Indiana at 8 wins (They need to beat Purdue to get there) fights it out for the TaxSlayer. Otherwise, we’re definitely locked into one of the Pinstripe, Quick Lane or Redbox.
I’m just having fun speculating in this thread. The worst option... is still a great thing. #NewTerritory

If it doesn't bother you to stay outside, Manhattan, the best bargain option that is actually a little closer to Yankee Stadium would be one of the hotels in either Fort Lee or Teaneck, N.J., right over the George Washington Bridge. Not sure how much tailgating there is. There are a few bars (Stan's, Billy's) where you can do some pregaming, along with a Hard Rock Cafe and a few other choices within the Stadium.

Deleted member 654622

D
How much of a difference is 6-6 vs 7-5? I would guess not much. But I'm guessing 8-4 would make a big difference as to what bowl we go to? Also, looking like Mizzou will finish 6-6 or 7-5 at best. How likely is a matchup with them? Wouldn't a bowl committee want to match 2 rivals up to garner more interest?
They are not eligible since they are cheaters

Observation from this weekend - I think this fan base is excited and will travel well. I’ve spent much of this weekend refreshing Twitter and scores using in-flight WiFi. While in the airport in Bangalore, India I had a fellow Illini alum walk up and ask about the game (spotting my shirt)... she was flat excited to hear about the win and started talking about being bowl eligible and possible destinations. Was not a conversation I expected to be having at 4am at baggage claim in India

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL
ESPN Bowl Projections

New Era Pinstripe Bowl
Yankee Stadium, New York
Dec. 27, 3:20 p.m., ESPN

Bonagura: Michigan State vs. Wake Forest
Schlabach: Pittsburgh vs. Illinois

TaxSlayer Gator Bowl
TIAA Bank Field, Jacksonville, Florida
Jan. 2, 7 p.m., ESPN

Bonagura: Tennessee vs. Illinois
Schlabach: Tennessee vs. Iowa

247 Bowl Projections

Pinstripe Bowl: North Carolina vs. Illinois

ESPN Bowl Projections

New Era Pinstripe Bowl
Yankee Stadium, New York

TaxSlayer Gator Bowl
Jan. 2, 7 p.m., ESPN

247 Bowl Projections

Pittsburgh just played in the Pinstripe Bowl 2 years ago, they're likely not an option for that. Virginia Tech or possible Florida State are more realistic options.

As for North Carolina, that will really be decided in the final week. With their schedules, it's gonna be UNC vs. NCSU for eligibility. Whoever wins that game goes.

ESPN Bowl Projections

New Era Pinstripe Bowl
Yankee Stadium, New York

TaxSlayer Gator Bowl
Jan. 2, 7 p.m., ESPN

247 Bowl Projections

OMG i would love to play Tennessee, what a good look for the program that would be

Here's a breakdown of the B1G bowl tie-ins-
https://collegefootballnews.com/201...ll-bowl-ties-affiliations-for-each-conference

CFB Playoff team(s)
Rose Bowl
Citrus Bowl
Outback Bowl
Holiday Bowl
Most likely Gator Bowl vs SEC (no Iowa or PSU if possible)
Pinstripe Bowl vs ACC (no Indiana, Iowa, Northwestern, Penn State or Wisconsin would be the preference however that's not set in stone)
Redbox Bowl vs Pac-12 (no Indiana, Maryland, Michigan State, Nebraska or Purdue, if possible)
Quick Lane Bowl vs. ACC
Armed Forces Bowl vs. Mountain West

If the season finishes out as expected:
CFB OSU
Rose Minny
Citrus Wisc or PSU
Outback PSU or Wisc
Holiday Michigan
Gator -- Iowa, ILL or Indiana would all be 5-4 in the B1G Ten.

Given our national publicity this year, the longing of our fanbase, the general Hoosier fanbase lack of football interest, and Iowa's recent appearance there, I believe the Illini would be the strong favorites for the Gator even with a 7-5 finish.

Last edited:

kiwanegarris22

South Carolina
Most bowl projections assume we lose at Iowa and then beat Northwestern at home, closing at 7-5.

8-4 is the way I'd prefer to think about this -- where we jump Indiana and Iowa and play in a warm weather bowl with a bigger payout. I'm going to be greedy for (at least) the next two weeks.

Most bowl projections assume we lose at Iowa and then beat Northwestern at home, closing at 7-5.

8-4 is the way I'd prefer to think about this -- where we jump Indiana and Iowa and play in a warm weather bowl with a bigger payout. I'm going to be greedy for (at least) the next two weeks.

most of those same projections had us winning 4 games this season. So those projections are not good at predicting a team like this (lose to eastern and beat Wisconsin).

Having said that, I need to qualify the next statement. As many of you know, I have been bullish on this administration. I have been bullish on Illinois almost every game. Even when most people had given up, I acknowledged that we were playing poorly and that it didn’t look like Lovie would make it, but I wasn’t ready to throw in the towel. I was still bullish and hopeful against Wisconsin. And I was still unwilling to give up hope that Lovie would not pull it together. I was bullish on the Michigan staTe game throughout the season. I figured that was our big upset.

But with this next game, I’m not bullish. I don’t like the matchup. I’m hopeful and wouldn’t be surprised with a win, but my money would be on a loss to Iowa. So I’m predicting 7 wins and a trip to New York. I’m starting to make my plans for New York. Hopefully, next Saturday I change those plans. But at this point, I’m looking into box seats for the game.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL

I've seen the payout thing brought up in a couple of posts, did the conference change the policy of all the money going into a B1G pot and split up (after expenses for travel, etc.)?

most of those same projections had us winning 4 games this season. So those projections are not good at predicting a team like this (lose to eastern and beat Wisconsin).

Having said that, I need to qualify the next statement. As many of you know, I have been bullish on this administration. I have been bullish on Illinois almost every game. Even when most people had given up, I acknowledged that we were playing poorly and that it didn’t look like Lovie would make it, but I wasn’t ready to throw in the towel. I was still bullish and hopeful against Wisconsin. And I was still unwilling to give up hope that Lovie would not pull it together. I was bullish on the Michigan staTe game throughout the season. I figured that was our big upset.

But with this next game, I’m not bullish. I don’t like the matchup. I’m hopeful and wouldn’t be surprised with a win, but my money would be on a loss to Iowa. So I’m predicting 7 wins and a trip to New York. I’m starting to make my plans for New York. Hopefully, next Saturday I change those plans. But at this point, I’m looking into box seats for the game.

I honestly believe the Redbox is our more likely option, the more I ponder things.

We saw Notre Dame play Army at Yankee stadium several years ago & it was fabulous! The Notre Dame band was in Times Square for a pep rally & the subway lets you right off at the Stadium. Cant beat NYC/Yankee Stadium for a game.

kiwanegarris22

South Carolina
We saw Notre Dame play Army at Yankee stadium several years ago & it was fabulous! The Notre Dame band was in Times Square for a pep rally & the subway lets you right off at the Stadium. Cant beat NYC/Yankee Stadium for a game.

80 degrees, short sleeves, outdoor swimming, two rounds of golf --- along with an Illini victory --- all appeals to me more than sitting outdoors for 3 and half hours at Yankee Stadium in the middle of winter. I'd instead suggest Cubs vs. Yankees for a 3-game weekend series in July.

OK, now back to reality. We're playing in a bowl somewhere, and I hope/plan to be there regardless.

When the Marching Illini was in the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade a few years back, they played the night before for a while in Times Square, too, after a dinner for the band, families and area alumni. It was amazing.

Last edited:

Deleted member 746586

D
Bring it back to Texas! Beating Baylor at the Texas Bowl was awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.