Bowl Projections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Like Ford: bowl eligible?

Has to sit a year: spring semester, fall semester. So, he should be able to play in our bowl. Can anyone confirm? And, yes. if he's able to play, that's an absolute, pound the table, no-brainer.

Like Ford: bowl eligible?

Has to sit a year: spring semester, fall semester. So, he should be able to play in our bowl. Can anyone confirm? And, yes. if he's able to play, that's an absolute, pound the table, no-brainer.

I don’t think that’s how that works. Hundreds of kids sit their transfer year and I’ve never heard of one playing in their bowl.

I believe the bowl games are considered part of the Autumn season, so the players sit, as 220Illini said.

FT35

Naperville
I don’t think that’s how that works. Hundreds of kids sit their transfer year and I’ve never heard of one playing in their bowl.

Two Syracuse transfers played in their bowl game last year since the semester had ended by the time the bowl game was played:

https://www.syracuse.com/orangefoot...rishton-jackson-eligible-to-play-in-bowl.html

Luke will be eligible since he sat out the Spring semester and the Fall semester will be over by the time Illinois plays in its bowl game. Since he will have played in 4 games or less he will not lose a year of eligibility.

When will we hear the actual decision? The Pinstripe Bowl is a day trip for us, so not having to shell out for flights, hotel and such makes it better for my selfish me. FYI, the average Dec/Jan high temp is about 40 degrees...though of course that’s quite variable, and if there’s a Nor’easter, all bets are off.

But how do they set up the stands for a football game in a baseball park?

Eh. Football doesn’t belong in a ballpark. Seating is terrible, though they’re all seat back chairs. I’ve been to NYC that it holds no appeal to me. Really, Giants Stadium would be a far superior venue compared to Yankee Stadium. But then it’s not Yankee Stadium.

Two Syracuse transfers played in their bowl game last year since the semester had ended by the time the bowl game was played:

https://www.syracuse.com/orangefoot...rishton-jackson-eligible-to-play-in-bowl.html

Luke will be eligible since he sat out the Spring semester and the Fall semester will be over by the time Illinois plays in its bowl game. Since he will have played in 4 games or less he will not lose a year of eligibility.

i don’t want to call this a loophole because it all works out mathematically it seems, but is this something that is widely known? Seems like you never hear about it.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
Wait, so we may see Luke Ford on the field for our bowl game???

Just realized, did Luke Ford play in Georgia’s bowl game last year? I’m having trouble finding a participation list for that game. (Or any game really)

That could ruin all of this right?

Deleted member 654622

D
Just realized, did Luke Ford play in Georgia’s bowl game last year? I’m having trouble finding a participation list for that game. (Or any game really)

I seem to remember him not playing. And also a report (that ended up being poo) that Luke and Ayo met mid field after the game to talk about transferring to IL

Eh. Football doesn’t belong in a ballpark. Seating is terrible, though they’re all seat back chairs. I’ve been to NYC that it holds no appeal to me. Really, Giants Stadium would be a far superior venue compared to Yankee Stadium. But then it’s not Yankee Stadium.
There actually was a "Garden State Bowl" that was held for a few years starting in the late '70s shortly after the original Giants Stadium opened.

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL

Trishton Jackson played in Michigan State's bowl game in 2017 and was able to play for Syracuse in their bowl in 2018.

According to this site Luke Ford played in 9 games last year with the last being against Georgia Tech on November 24th. He did not play in SEC Championship or the bowl game.

https://georgiadogs.com/sports/football/stats/2018#individual

This was the only site I found that listed Games Played even if a player did not accumulate stats. Also, the number of games played without any stats varies by player on this site, so it appears to be intentional accounting of games played.

Edit: Does this mean he may be eligible for the B10 Championship game? :)

According to this site Luke Ford played in 9 games last year with the last being against Georgia Tech on November 24th. He did not play in SEC Championship or the bowl game.

https://georgiadogs.com/sports/football/stats/2018#individual

This was the only site I found that listed Games Played even if a player did not accumulate stats. Also, the number of games played without any stats varies by player on this site, so it appears to be intentional accounting of games played.

Edit: Does this mean he may be eligible for the B10 Championship game? :)

It could be easier to just ask Luke on twitter.

It looks like he would need to sit a full calendar year in addition to the normal 2 semesters.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/TGONLINE42019.pdf see page 13

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D118.pdf see page 190

14.5 TransferRegulations.
14.5.1 Residence Requirement—General Principle. A student who transfers (see Bylaw 14.5.2) to a member institution from any collegiate institution is required to complete one full academic year of residence (see Bylaw 14.02.14) at the certifying institution before being eligible to compete for or to receive travel expenses from the member institution (see Bylaw 16.8.1), unless the student satisfies the applicable transfer requirements or qualifies for an exception as set forth in this bylaw. (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/91, 4/27/00 effective 8/1/01, 5/19/08, 6/24/09, 4/14/10)
14.5.1.4 Eligibility for Championship in Progress. A transfer student shall be eligible for any NCAA championship that is in progress after a full calendar year has elapsed and at the time he or she has completed two full semesters or three full quarters of academic work.

Deleted member 29907

D
Huh? - bring out a guy for a bowl game who hasn't run a down all season and risk injury and losing him for next season and pissing off the guys who have been playing the position all year because why???

Huh? - bring out a guy for a bowl game who hasn't run a down all season and risk injury and losing him for next season and pissing off the guys who have been playing the position all year because why???

Because everyone knows he’s good and you always try to have your most talented players in the game?

That statement works for literally every team sport.

Deleted member 29907

D
Because everyone knows he’s good and you always try to have your most talented players in the game?

That statement works for literally every team sport.
Not when that good player has not played a down and/or developed any rhythm with the QB, coordinated blocking with the OLine, etc. Talent is one thing, but football is very much a team sport and there is SO much more to it than talent when he hasn't played a down all year. Even if you forget all of that, I'm not risking him for next season on a third rate bowl game. While we love any bowl game, we're not fighting for all the marbles here gang.

There's a reason we're playing better at the end of the season than we did in game 1 of the season. This would be game 1 for him. We're much better off with Barker in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.