Bowl Projections

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not when that good player has not played a down and/or developed any rhythm with the QB, coordinated blocking with the OLine, etc. Talent is one thing, but football is very much a team sport and there is SO much more to it than talent when he hasn't played a down all year. Even if you forget all of that, I'm not risking him for next season on a third rate bowl game. While we love any bowl game, we're not fighting for all the marbles here gang.

There's a reason we're playing better at the end of the season than we did in game 1 of the season. This would be game 1 for him. We're much better off with Barker in there.

Bolded: with the all the extra practices you have between the end of the season and the bowl game, you basically have another training camp. He could get that rhythm or in sync during that time.

Non-Bolded: he could get hurt in practice giving a scout team look. He could get hurt in the weight room. He could hurt next training camp or the first game next season. We’re still in the building process. We need our best guys on the field for ourselves, but also to show recruits what we can do with talented players.

Alabama/LSU/Clemson yeah they maybe sit that guy even for the playoffs because they’re that deep and talented. We don’t have the luxury.

Deleted member 29907

D
Bolded: with the all the extra practices you have between the end of the season and the bowl game, you basically have another training camp. He could get that rhythm or in sync during that time.

Non-Bolded: he could get hurt in practice giving a scout team look. He could get hurt in the weight room. He could hurt next training camp or the first game next season. We’re still in the building process. We need our best guys on the field for ourselves, but also to show recruits what we can do with talented players.

Alabama/LSU/Clemson yeah they maybe sit that guy even for the playoffs because they’re that deep and talented. We don’t have the luxury.
1. Much more contact in a game than there is in a practice - so no comparison
2. Rhythm needs to come against real competition - we had alot of practice before our first game, but you only gel when you're playing against real competition, not our 2nd or 3rd string D
3. We should not be putting him on the scout team if there is any real contact going on - which there typically is not - and he could get hurt crossing the street - but that doesn't mean put more risk into that overall general equation
4. I don't think he'd be better than Barker at this point in the season - so there is no luxury point here - the reason we're able to beat Wisconsin and MSU was because guys were finally getting it and each other - same (for the most part) players, better because of the experience
5. And finally - did you not watch Miracle on Ice? Good enough for me.

Deleted member 29907

D
I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but if, for some reason, Luke Ford is eligible to play in the bowl game... he's playing in the bowl game.
Says who?

Does anyone remember when Rayvonte Rice came back from either injury or suspension (i don't recall the reason) a few years back - our BBall team regressed for more than a few games cause it threw off what the team had started to put together as a team. So this notion of talent wins out above all else for one game is false.

Last edited by a moderator:
So this notion of talent wins out above all else for one game is false.

Except, he's been practicing with the team for the whole year. He's not coming back from an injury. He's not walking onto the team. He's not just a scrub pulled from the stands.

He is leaps and bounds (on paper anyway), the best TE on our roster.

Deleted member 29907

D
Except, he's been practicing with the team for the whole year. He's not coming back from an injury. He's not walking onto the team. He's not just a scrub pulled from the stands.

He is leaps and bounds (on paper anyway), the best TE on our roster.
Potential skillwise, it's an assumption, but ok. Game-ready? No. I contend practice is no where near enough at this point in the season. He likely not practicing with the first team much - but either way it doesn't matter. Regardless, if I was his coach, I'd not risk it for a third rate bowl game given what we want him to do next year and especially since he's not in game shape.

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree

..., I'd not risk it for a third rate bowl game ....

Where have you been? We have like the 5th longest winning streak in CFB, we lead the nation in defensive TDs and takeaways, our QB just broke passing records against Sparty, and we have 1 top 25 vote. Pretty sure we're favorites to win B10 now. Has your internet been out all week?

Deleted member 746648

D
You could make the case that winning "third rate" bowl doesn't matter as much as we would like to think and getting him more game experience with our starters could help us next season.

Deleted member 746648

D
Another option would be to use more 2 TE sets to get him some reps without having to sit Barker. Its not super difficult to rotate guys into games without hurting the team. As a coach you have to balance getting younger guys into games to get them experience for next season and rewarding older players for getting us to this point. There isn't really a wrong answer here.

So I click on Bowl Projections and we are talking about tight ends. Is the whole world bi-polar.

No I don’t think LF will be playing even if elisgable. Imagine he plays one down and tears an ACL. Rather have him ready to in 2020. Beat Is.

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL
No I don’t think LF will be playing even if elisgable. Imagine he plays one down and tears an ACL. Rather have him ready to in 2020. Beat Is.

Imagine he plays one down for the scout team and tears an ACL. Oh, wait he’s been on the scout team all year.

I'm going to say it again: if Luke Ford is the best tight end on our team (he is, at least according to paper) and Luke Ford is eligible, he will play. You cannot bench a person for fear of injury. Why would any coach start anyone ever otherwise?

If Josh is doing his job well, he should already be in contact with a few game reps to start jockeying for position or at the very least to gain and understanding of who wants who/who doesn’t want who. I’m still pretty convinced it’s gonna be Redbox.

I think an Illinois-Cal game would be fantastic, at least for those who appreciate defensive play it will be.

I would love to take on Texas. They seem weaker this year, a game we can win and would garner plenty of national attention and may boost recruiting

I would love to take on Texas. They seem weaker this year, a game we can win and would garner plenty of national attention and may boost recruiting

No matchups for us, unfortunately.

Might be Illinois-Oregon State.

I'm going to say it again: if Luke Ford is the best tight end on our team (he is, at least according to paper) and Luke Ford is eligible, he will play. You cannot bench a person for fear of injury. Why would any coach start anyone ever otherwise?
Because that person has played since game 1 and they deserve the reward of playing in a bowl game over a kid who hasn't played a snap?

Because that person has played since game 1 and they deserve the reward of playing in a bowl game over a kid who hasn't played a snap?

we run rotations. Of course Luke ford will play if he can. He’s the best tight end on the field. But so will our other tight ends. It would be silly to leave them off the field when they can be productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.