Bowl Projections

Status
Not open for further replies.
How important is B10 standing in the bowl selection? Is there a requirement that the bowls select teams based on standing? Without playing out the matchups, and just looking at W/L quickly, Illini could be anywhere between 4th and 9th overall in B10 standings after this week. Does it matter?

Ultimately, it is a question of filling seats. Although I am expecting Pinstripe and have begun making plans for Pinstripe, the Sf bay area hosts the largest, non Chicago area, Illini Alumni networks in the country (or it did at one point). So for many reasons, filling seats, raising money, etc., the Redbox bowl would be ideal for the University and the Bowl. But there is also a lot of prestige that goes with different bowl games and Pinstripe is a better bowl and still can attract a significant number of fans. I wouldn't be surprised to see us at either.
Don't know if the fact that we played a bowl in the Bay Area this decade would push us toward NYC.

Pinstripe against a southern school could be an advantage for Illini. I just hope if Oregon State gets bowl eligible they don’t play the Illini. Would be just my luck for both the teams I root for to finally go to bowl games and then play each other.

How important is B10 standing in the bowl selection? Is there a requirement that the bowls select teams based on standing? Without playing out the matchups, and just looking at W/L quickly, Illini could be anywhere between 4th and 9th overall in B10 standings after this week. Does it matter?

Back in the BCS there sorta kinda was. Bowl tie-ins had an order in which they were allowed to select. When a bowl selected, they didn't have to choose the "next team up", but they weren't allowed to choose a team that had 2 more losses then the best available team. So, if the Bowl that was choosing was the Gator Bowl, and the best available team was 10-2, they could choose any Big Ten team that was 10-2 or 9-3, but not 8-4 or worse.

Now-a-days, I don't think it works the same.

I don't follow all the bowl procedures anymore since the CFP came to fruition. I love that there's a playoff, but I'm one of the odd ones that actually liked the BCS calculations and still to this day think there's needs to be a formulaic way of determining playoff teams.

Pinstripe against a southern school could be an advantage for Illini. I just hope if Oregon State gets bowl eligible they don’t play the Illini. Would be just my luck for both the teams I root for to finally go to bowl games and then play each other.

I’d actually love to see that game. Watched ASU this morning, this Beaver team is fun to watch. My hat is all the way off to Jonathan Smith, what a fantastic job he’s done in such a short time and he’s got a couple of huge transfers coming for next season. Charles Moore is going to transform that defensive line. In the meantime, their road to 6 is rough. Two tough road ones coming up. I hope they pull one out.

Yep Niner has done a great job. Defense is still a work in progress, but lot of offensive weapons. A lot of similarities between the Illini and Beavers as far as where they’ve come from and success this year. But Beavers are certainly a year or two ahead of schedule. I think their best chance to get to 6 is this weekend against WSU, but it wouldn’t be a complete surprise for OSU to beat Oregon in Civil War game with a chance to keep Ducks out of playoffs.

Can I ask why there is so much hate for the pinstripe bowl? My friends and I are planning on going and I think it would be really cool to play in New York. I’m also a huge baseball fan and it would be great to see Yankee Stadium! I think football in baseball stadiums is old school and fun to watch too!

orange100

time to hop on the wife
Can I ask why there is so much hate for the pinstripe bowl? My friends and I are planning on going and I think it would be really cool to play in New York. I’m also a huge baseball fan and it would be great to see Yankee Stadium! I think football in baseball stadiums is old school and fun to watch too!
Just my thoughts- football played in a baseball park is not the best arrangement, and it's gonna be cold AF. Winter in illinois and we get a bowl game outside further north in winter? no thanks. Bowls should be in warm weather locations or a dome if it's cold.

Back in the BCS there sorta kinda was. Bowl tie-ins had an order in which they were allowed to select. When a bowl selected, they didn't have to choose the "next team up", but they weren't allowed to choose a team that had 2 more losses then the best available team. So, if the Bowl that was choosing was the Gator Bowl, and the best available team was 10-2, they could choose any Big Ten team that was 10-2 or 9-3, but not 8-4 or worse.

Now-a-days, I don't think it works the same.

I don't follow all the bowl procedures anymore since the CFP came to fruition. I love that there's a playoff, but I'm one of the odd ones that actually liked the BCS calculations and still to this day think there's needs to be a formulaic way of determining playoff teams.

This site gives a good breakdown of the process.
https://indianahq.com/2019-big-ten-football-bowl-game-scenarios-explained/

The process seems more subjective and more complicated than it was during the BCS era. The emphasis seems to be to make sure that teams aren’t going to the same lower tier bowl over and over.

From an Illini perspective, being forced to go to the same bowl in Dallas for the third time in 4 years seems like a pretty nice problem to have. I’m hoping, going forward, we don’t have to worry about that problem due to the bowl selection process instead of the traditional Illini reason for not going to the same bowl three times in 4 years.

Tiers of Bowl Games
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Tier 1(will have a shot if we win out, unlikely options)
Gator Bowl (vs SEC)
Outback Bowl(vs SEC)
Rose Bowl(most unlikely, but still possible)

Tier 2(Probably Most Likely)
Pinstripe Bowl(vs ACC)
Redbox(vs PAC 12)

Tier 3(More likely than Tier 1, bit unlikely though, would have to lose next 2 probably)
Quick Lane(vs ACC/MAC)
Armed Forces(vs MWC)

Out of these options, I would take any Tier 1 Bowl Game, but I'm just ecstatic that we're finally going bowling. I see Pinstripe and Redbox as the 2 biggest possibilities. Would prefer Pinstripe out of the 2 though. Tier 3, we probably have the best shot at winning the game in, seeing as we'd be going up against a lowly ACC team or a MAC team in the Quick Lane. Obviously if we hit a Tier 1 game, we should all head to the game. I-L-L!

ILL in IA

Iowa City
I have heard from several people that went to the Pinstripe Bowl when Iowa was in it, that it wasn't great. The idea of playing in Yankee stadium was cool but wore off after kickoff. Bad sightlines for the game. And as said above, NY in the winter is one reason. I also heard that its one of the pricier games to get to (not tickets, but travel). Flights and hotels in NY were expensive. Eating out costs more. Other cities are a little more excited to have you in town for the game. NY, not so much. Also a short supply of Busch Light (from what I have been told).

Obviously the weather can’t be changed and Yankee Stadium’s layout messes with normal notions of what is a good seat. However, the expense depends on whether you’re looking for a full NYC experience (stay and eat in Manhattan, see a Broadway show, etc.) or it’s just a matter of finding lodging that’s convenient to the Stadium (where you could still visit Manhattan, enjoy free/budget aspects of NYC at Christmas such as the Rockefeller Center tree, store window displays, Central Park, etc.)

skamin7

Wellington, FL
I'm in the anywhere but NY camp myself. I was at the game at Wrigley and there is a reason why NFL teams don't play in baseball stadium anymore. It is not a good fit and the site lines are awful no matter how hallowed the halls are (wrigley and not yankee stadium :)). These kids deserve to go somewhere warm and hopefully we can get some revenge for last year and get the win on Saturday. Most of the forecast have the hawkeyes in the Gator. If we can knock them off, we should be able to replace them.

If it’s the Pinstripe Bowl, I’ll be going, and so will my wife, though she says no now but will be checking out tickets as soon as the announcement is made, because she’s an Illini. Even if makes more sense to watch on TV.

Weather, by the way, will likely be lousy, but even though NYC is due East of Chicago—see I-80—it’s probably about 10 degrees warmer in NY, thanks to the moderating effect of the ocean. I live about 90 miles west of Manhattan and it can be snowing here and 45 degrees there. Of course, it can also be dreadfully cold, or a Nor’easter could dump several feet of drifting snow there as well.

Still, a ballpark is a lousy place for a football game, just like a football stadium would be a lousy place for a baseball game.

Back in the BCS there sorta kinda was...

Thanks for the awesome reply.

So, what do you guys think is better for the program? Better bowl, and lose; or, smaller bowl, and win. Rose/Sugar Bowl experience, or MicronPC?

Unless they lose against NW this season is already a success. The bonus would be positively impacting, and swaying some recruits.

This may be redundant as I haven't gone back through the thread, but here are the bowls and the current ranking in the B10.

Bowls
1. Rose Bowl vs. Pac-12
2. Citrus Bowl vs. ACC or SEC. No Penn State, Minnesota or Michigan, if possible.
3. Outback Bowl vs. SEC. No Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan or Northwestern, if possible.
4. San Diego Country Credit Union Holiday Bowl vs. Pac-12. No Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern or Wisconsin, if possible.
5. TaxSlayer Bowl vs. SEC. No Iowa or Penn State, if possible.
6. New Era Pinstripe Bowl vs. ACC. No Indiana, Iowa, Northwestern, Penn State or Wisconsin, if possible.
7. Redbox Bowl vs. Pac-12. No Indiana, Maryland, Michigan State, Nebraska or Purdue, if possible.
8. Quick Lane Bowl vs. ACC
9. Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl vs. Mountain West

Ranked
2. Ohio State
8. Penn State
10. Minnesota
12. Wisconsin
13. Michigan
17. Iowa

Bowl Eligible
Indiana (7-3)
Iowa (7-3)
Illinois (6-4)

Looking at the exclusion lists, and assuming we beat Iowa for sake of argument, could we get either the Holiday Bowl or Tax Slayer bowl?

This may be redundant as I haven't gone back through the thread, but here are the bowls and the current ranking in the B10.

Bowls
1. Rose Bowl vs. Pac-12
2. Citrus Bowl vs. ACC or SEC. No Penn State, Minnesota or Michigan, if possible.
3. Outback Bowl vs. SEC. No Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan or Northwestern, if possible.
4. San Diego Country Credit Union Holiday Bowl vs. Pac-12. No Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern or Wisconsin, if possible.
5. TaxSlayer Bowl vs. SEC. No Iowa or Penn State, if possible.
6. New Era Pinstripe Bowl vs. ACC. No Indiana, Iowa, Northwestern, Penn State or Wisconsin, if possible.
7. Redbox Bowl vs. Pac-12. No Indiana, Maryland, Michigan State, Nebraska or Purdue, if possible.
8. Quick Lane Bowl vs. ACC
9. Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl vs. Mountain West

Ranked
2. Ohio State
8. Penn State
10. Minnesota
12. Wisconsin
13. Michigan
17. Iowa

Bowl Eligible
Indiana (7-3)
Iowa (7-3)
Illinois (6-4)

Looking at the exclusion lists, and assuming we beat Iowa for sake of argument, could we get either the Holiday Bowl or Tax Slayer bowl?

TaxSlayer maybe, Holiday no.

Status
Not open for further replies.