Bowl Projections

Status
Not open for further replies.
After we win out, Tampa will roll out the welcome mat for the kind of team Lovie would have built there - given ownership with half a brain cell.

Latest bowl projections:

CBS Sports
-Pinstripe Bowl: vs. Pitt

247Sports
-Redbox Bowl: vs. Washington State

Sporting News
-Pinstripe Bowl: vs. Florida State

I'm all over the Redbox vs. WSU just because there would be so much coverage of the pirate leading up to it.

Anybody saying this season isn't already a success regardless of what happens in the NW game, is wrong. Getting to a bowl was the test. It was the must do and Lovie must did. I would hate to lose the next two games, but the fact that we have NW and another game was the goal. We ain't winning pretty yet, but who doesn't think we're going to be better next year?

The fact that Vegas had the over/under on wins for the Illini at 3.5 tells you exactly how much dread this fanbase held before the season. Beating the over/under by 2.5 games is not a small thing. Lovie killed the over. And he's been killing Vegas' spreads for the past five games. This team is burning the money of those gamblers who still don't believe. We played Iowa close, despite not playing particularly well. This team is better.

2019 Illini football has been a huge success. No qualifiers needed. And it has a very solid chance of getting even better!

Always win your bowls.

IlliniKat91

Chicago, IL
Great Post. Agree totally!! We were all going to burn our Lovie t-shirts a month ago, and for the true Illini fan, this miracle season reminds me of the Rose Bowl year. So why don't we start a thread of actual season ticket holders, who have invested there time and resources into watching the games and supporting the team. If your not there, than stay away from our blog. I call them dingbats!!!

OK, Boomer.

VT is playing well right now with a mobile QB - good exposure, but it would be an interesting game

Probably not an option now, VT has played themselves into a top 3 ACC bowl.

If it's PineStripe, good chance it;s a Florida school. State or Miami.

Deleted member 19448

D
Given their coach's twitter commentary over the Jeff Thomas fiasco, we would not lack for bulletin board material for a game against Miami.

Couple of additional projections:

Brett McMurphy
-Pinstripe Bowl: vs. Virginia

ESPN
-Bonagura:
Pinstripe Bowl vs. Wake Forest
-Schlabach: Pinstripe Bowl vs. Pittsburgh

Not sure I agree with Bonagura’s pick of a very likely 9-3 WF team going to the Pinstripe. Surely they would go to a higher bowl? I’d be fine with Pitt. Very average team, and should be similar to MSU I imagine.

Sorry if this has already been asked; how soon after the last game will we know our destination?

I'm all over the Redbox vs. WSU just because there would be so much coverage of the pirate leading up to it.

Game against WSU would have the potential of getting ugly real quick. They can score. Their defense is bad, but not sure if our offense could keep up with theirs even with the couple of TOs our D would likely generate.

As someone who won’t be going to bowl game, I don’t care where it is just so it is a win. That being said, for the sake of those that are going I hope it is somewhere warm though looking more and more like it will be Pinstripe.

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL
There’s a fairly high likelihood we already know. As far as public announcements, it’ll be the Monday after the holiday for the Redbox and PinStripe.

I guess it's been so long since we've been in a bowl that I'm not sure how the announcement process works, but I figured they'd wait until after the conference championship games since those could affect the slotting of teams.

Game against WSU would have the potential of getting ugly real quick. They can score. Their defense is bad, but not sure if our offense could keep up with theirs even with the couple of TOs our D would likely generate.

As someone who won’t be going to bowl game, I don’t care where it is just so it is a win. That being said, for the sake of those that are going I hope it is somewhere warm though looking more and more like it will be Pinstripe.

FWIW, Indiana has played more recently in the RedBox than the Pinstripe. That should be a consideration I would think, though I am not sure what priorities they place on all of that.

FWIW, Indiana has played more recently in the RedBox than the Pinstripe. That should be a consideration I would think, though I am not sure what priorities they place on all of that.

Depends on the bowl. The Redbox, for instance, has a contractual mandate for "X" different teams over a 5-6 year time-frame. For those representatives, because it's contractual, it clearly matters. For others, like the PinStripe, it's simply a preference but in essence they take who they can get within a reasonable level of attractiveness.

Depends on the bowl. The Redbox, for instance, has a contractual mandate for "X" different teams over a 5-6 year time-frame. For those representatives, because it's contractual, it clearly matters. For others, like the PinStripe, it's simply a preference but in essence they take who they can get within a reasonable level of attractiveness.

According to Wikipedia (I know, I know), the BIG teams that have played in the last 8 years are:
2018--MSU
2017--Purdue
2016--Indiana
2015--Nebraska
2014--Maryland
2011--Illinois

3 of those are not bowl eligible (Nebraska has a tough road to that point), and for that level of a bowl game, only Illinois, Indiana, and Iowa make sense. If Iowa wins, they will have 9 wins, making that an unlikely destination as well. I would think, especially if Indiana were to lose to Purdue (very possible), that they would go to the Pinstripe and we would go to RedBox.

According to Wikipedia (I know, I know), the BIG teams that have played in the last 8 years are:
2018--MSU
2017--Purdue
2016--Indiana
2015--Nebraska
2014--Maryland
2011--Illinois

3 of those are not bowl eligible (Nebraska has a tough road to that point), and for that level of a bowl game, only Illinois, Indiana, and Iowa make sense. If Iowa wins, they will have 9 wins, making that an unlikely destination as well. I would think, especially if Indiana were to lose to Purdue (very possible), that they would go to the Pinstripe and we would go to RedBox.

I agree 100%, this is also my assessment.

We're going to one or the other essentially. I'd rather face a Pac-12 team in an area where we need to attempt to re-establish our recruiting efforts but ultimately it's a good game for us either way.

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL
It would for larger bowls, certainly but the bowl games that we are pegged into right now are lower tier games involving teams that do not factor into the conference championship outlook. This is the main reason I don't buy the predictions of us facing teams like Virginia or VT.

Last year, Redbox and PinStripe were both announced on the 3rd, which was the Monday after the Holiday.

Conference Championships were December 1st last year, so all the bowl games were announced after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.