Box Office Films

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bailey

Los Angeles
I thought it was okay. Definitely not brain exploding. I thought/was hoping for some big twist that never came. Left a little disappointed.

Saw it this weekend. Nailed it visually and thought the acting was great, but fell into the same trope I think a lot of potentially great science fiction films succumb to which is finishing an otherwise complete story with a gloss of totally unnecessary sentimentality. I thought the same thing about Interstellar. So infuriatingly heavy handed with no purpose. I mean, what was the line at the end..."You wanna make a baby?" Are you kidding me?

Saw it this weekend. Nailed it visually and thought the acting was great, but fell into the same trope I think a lot of potentially great science fiction films succumb to which is finishing an otherwise complete story with a gloss of totally unnecessary sentimentality. I thought the same thing about Interstellar. So infuriatingly heavy handed with no purpose. I mean, what was the line at the end..."You wanna make a baby?" Are you kidding me?
I agree. The entire time I was expecting some giant twist or something to come and blow me away. And it never came. Left me disappointed.

I saw Fantastic Beasts this past weekend and I think that is the start of whats going to be another great series of JK Rowling films.

Also saw Edge of 17 and I liked it. Quality, funny moments. Solid movie.

homesickalien

Springfield
Hell or High Water. Umm awesome. Jeff Bridges is the best and the rest of the cast kill it. Has a Coen Brothers feel to it.

Finishing up my reviews of Swiss Army Man and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Hoping to review Hell or High Water, among several others from 2016 over the next few weeks.

homesickalien

Springfield
Fantastic Beasts=boring and really didn't live up to the past Harry Potters

Rogue One=Amaze balls

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
Rogue One - great fun, lots of neat tie-ins to A New Hope. A much better "prequel" than the prequel trilogy.

RIP Carrie Fisher.

Really falling behind on the 8-ball on my reviews. Been caught up with working on this pesky dissertation. I have a lofty goal of 5 reviews by Sunday evening: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, Manchester by the Sea, Passengers, and Fences.

I'll be seeing Moonlight tonight and Silence /I] tomorrow. Hoping to have those up by the 29th.

https://doublefeaturefilmreviews.com/

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story was definitely worth watching in theatres. If you haven't, I'd recommend it.

Go Illini

The next film in the Skywalker saga will be titled "The Last Jedi." Really digging the red lettering.

C23gmNXUAAEuQhC.jpg

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/823561256078548992

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
Oscar nominations are out!

I think the committee did a great job this year. Granted, it was a down year, but the amount of notable "snubs" appears minimal.

http://oscar.go.com/nominees

Gibson nominated and Clint not really rubs me the wrong way, but that's based more on my personal feelings about Gibson than anything else.

I think LaLaLand is going to go home with a lot of hardware.

Ian, maybe I'm in the minority here but I thought Amy Adams had a chance to get a best actress nomination for Arrival. Kinda surprised she didn't.

That's one I haven't had the fortune of seeing. My review partner saw it an concurred with your opinion. He hasn't gotten around to writing the review yet.

I'm planning on seeing a multitude of films in theaters over the next few weeks, Arrival included.

I'm setting a lofty goal of at least 8 reviews before Oscar night: 1) Hell or High Water, 2) Hidden Figures, 3) Lion, 4) La La Land, 5) Moana, and 6) Kubo and the Two Strings (probably my most anticipated on the to-see list).

I saw both Moonlight and Silence last weekend. Both were well worth the money, though the latter was a marathon at 2 hours and 40 minutes.

Bailey

Los Angeles
Don't normally pay *too* close of attention to the big night, but this is the perfect crescendo involving the white washing of the oscars topic thats been boiling over the last few years, re: Moonlight v La La Land.

Saw them both, and I'm a little ashamed at how much I enjoyed the latter. That said, it's not nearly the film Moonlight is.

This weekend I am catching up on Oscar nnominations I've been unable to see over the past year. Yesterday was Kubo and the Two Strings and Hell or High Water. Today is La La Land, Moana, and Hidden Figures.

In other Oscars news, Iranian director Asghar Farhadi, nominee for Best Foreign film, will be unable to attend the ceremony due to the recently implemented Muslim ban.
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...sghar-farhadi-iran-the-salesman-a7550751.html

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
This weekend I am catching up on Oscar nnominations I've been unable to see over the past year. Yesterday was Kubo and the Two Strings and Hell or High Water. Today is La La Land, Moana, and Hidden Figures.

In other Oscars news, Iranian director Asghar Farhadi, nominee for Best Foreign film, will be unable to attend the ceremony due to the recently implemented Muslim ban.
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...sghar-farhadi-iran-the-salesman-a7550751.html

It is not my intent to take this thread on a political bent, but how can an Irani national be considered a refugee? He's not intending to stay in the country (although who would blame him if he did). If that's how this executive order is being executed we've got a bigger problem than an Islamophobic administration.

It is not my intent to take this thread on a political bent, but how can an Irani national be considered a refugee? He's not intending to stay in the country (although who would blame him if he did). If that's how this executive order is being executed we've got a bigger problem than an Islamophobic administration.

That was also my intent. I felt the story was worth discussion and framed it in a way that was as minimally slanted as I could.

From what I have read, according to Homeland Security, the ban has included permanent residents of the US with a green card. To me that sounds like anybody currently located in countries included on this list (Iran, Iraq, Syria, Sudan, Yemen, and Lybia) that is not a US citizen will be unable to travel to the US.

From the perspective of Farhadi, I can imagine the disappointment. A crowning achievement for his work to be nominated for an Oscar (his second nomination after winning the category in 2012) only to be unable to attend the ceremony because he identifies as a Muslim or comes from a Muslim country.

To quote Forrest Gump, "And that's all I got to say about that."

Went and saw The Founder today. Really good biopic starring Michael Keaton as Ray Kroc. Movie takes a look at how he was able to grow the McDonald's fast food chain. Nick Offerman and John Carroll Lynch play the McDonald brothers who founded the original restaurant out in California. Keaton's character does become very unlikable as the film goes on which isn't really that surprising if you know some of the back story behind how he made McDonald's into what it became.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
That was also my intent. I felt the story was worth discussion and framed it in a way that was as minimally slanted as I could.

From what I have read, according to Homeland Security, the ban has included permanent residents of the US with a green card. To me that sounds like anybody currently located in countries included on this list (Iran, Iraq, Syria, Sudan, Yemen, and Lybia) that is not a US citizen will be unable to travel to the US.

From the perspective of Farhadi, I can imagine the disappointment. A crowning achievement for his work to be nominated for an Oscar (his second nomination after winning the category in 2012) only to be unable to attend the ceremony because he identifies as a Muslim or comes from a Muslim country.

To quote Forrest Gump, "And that's all I got to say about that."

There is a provision [Sec 5 / (e.)] in the executive order that allows for Secretaries of State and Homeland Security to admit individuals on a case-by-case basis. Assuming that Asghar Farhadi has never made threats against the United States, I would think that he could easily be vetted and allowed to attend.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
I finally got to La La Land. I loved most things about it, but I don't get why big films keep casting Emma Stone. She's got the acting range of Mark Wahlberg, and some singing/dancing skills would have helped her in this film.

Despite that gripe, I thought this was a brilliantly made film on almost every level. The opening sequence alone was worth the price of admission. 4 Liberty Valances out of 5.

We also watched Swiss Army Man. Interesting film, lots of different ways to read it, and with an ending exactly opposite of what I thought it was leading toward. 3.5 LV's.

I finally got to La La Land. I loved most things about it, but I don't get why big films keep casting Emma Stone. She's got the acting range of Mark Wahlberg, and some singing/dancing skills would have helped her in this film.

Despite that gripe, I thought this was a brilliantly made film on almost every level. The opening sequence alone was worth the price of admission. 4 Liberty Valances out of 5.

We also watched Swiss Army Man. Interesting film, lots of different ways to read it, and with an ending exactly opposite of what I thought it was leading toward. 3.5 LV's.

I'm 100% with you on Swiss Army Man. What an existential ride that was.

Went and saw The Lego Batman Movie. Movie is really well done and has several hilarious moments. They have Zack Galifinakis doing the voice of Joker and Ralph Fiennes doing the voice of Alfred.

Status
Not open for further replies.