Box Office Films

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is certainly not a box office film, but I checked the DVD of Chinatown out at the library over the weekend. My wife and I saw it in the theater in when it was released in 1974 but not since.

Great film that holds up exceptionally well. For younger movie fans, it's worth seeing.

As a 24 year old, I agree with that statement! Though I'm not the typical younger moviegoer. Jack Nicholson was fantastic in that film.

Just got back from X-Men. Was awesome, right on par with First Class.

It was good. I don't think I'd go so far to say it was awesome. A bit disjointed and hard to follow. Especially for those unfamiliar with the comics. It would have been difficult (especially in the future world) to know the names of the mutants or even their powers.

One other note: it is definitely not a stand-alone movie. If you haven't seen First Class, and at least two of the first three movies, you'll be completely lost.

I would have loved to have seen more of Quicksilver: the sequence with him in the Pentagon was gold.

A final note: I thought Lawrence and McAvoy were terrific. Fassbender and Jackman both seemed oddly distracted.

Surprisingly to me, Edge of Tomorrow has received really strong reviews (Rotten Tomatoes: 89%). When I saw the initial trailer in theaters a few months ago, I immediately wrote it off. I'm far from a Tom Cruise film fan, so I usually try to avoid his films, but with the positive feedback and a reportedly strong performance from Emily Blunt, I may just have to give this a watch on "Discount Tuesday" at my local theater.

Additionally, the reviews of The Fault in our Stars have also been positive (Rotten Tomatoes: 82%). Shailene Woodley has made quite the name for herself at the in 2014 (Divergent). I'm expecting this film to be this weekend's box office winner due to the large following of the novel it is based off of.

illinicb

Northbrook
It is certainly not a box office film, but I checked the DVD of Chinatown out at the library over the weekend. My wife and I saw it in the theater in when it was released in 1974 but not since.

Great film that holds up exceptionally well. For younger movie fans, it's worth seeing.

Maybe my all time favorite. I have it in DVD and watch it a couple of times a year.

illinicb

Northbrook
Saw Million Dollar Arm the other night with my daughter. Didn't have high expectations, but enjoyed it.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
Additionally, the reviews of The Fault in our Stars have also been positive (Rotten Tomatoes: 82%). Shailene Woodley has made quite the name for herself at the in 2014 (Divergent). I'm expecting this film to be this weekend's box office winner due to the large following of the novel it is based off of.

My wife and I are heading to see this today. Roeper gave it 4/4 stars and said that Woodley's performance was so good that he's already penciled her in for a Best Actress in a Leading Role nomination.

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL
Took a while, but finally saw neighbors. Was as funny as I expected. Also, excited to see the great reviews 22 Jump Street is getting. Think I'll see that opening weekend.

I watched Lone Survivor last night. It was well made and entertaining. Funny though, Wahlberg looks nothing like the guy he portrayed while the other 3 in his squad all looked similar to their real life counterparts.

CardsIllinifan8

C
I watched Lone Survivor last night. It was well made and entertaining. Funny though, Wahlberg looks nothing like the guy he portrayed while the other 3 in his squad all looked similar to their real life counterparts.

Marcus Luttrell actually played in the movie. He's the guy in the gray.

[[url]http://www.cinemablend.com/images/news_img/40832/Lone_Survivor_40832.jpg/IMG][/url]

Someone was cutting the onions during the movie, I promise you someone was.

I watched a couple recent movies this evening.

THE PURGE. The premise had a lot going for it. But the execution wasn't very good. Many of the scenes were just too dark to even see and I really didn't like the way this movie was shot, camera angles and distance was just weird. Should have been better.

HER. It seemed a bit longer than it needed to be. The 'sex' scenes were not necessary. And the foul mouthed computer game character was over the top and not necessary either. Cut those scenes out and you lose nothing and get it down to a more palatable hour and 50 minutes and gets it a PG17 rating instead of R. I'd still recommend it though, it is entertaining.

I watched a couple recent movies this evening.

THE PURGE. The premise had a lot going for it. But the execution wasn't very good. Many of the scenes were just too dark to even see and I really didn't like the way this movie was shot, camera angles and distance was just weird. Should have been better.

HER. It seemed a bit longer than it needed to be. The 'sex' scenes were not necessary. And the foul mouthed computer game character was over the top and not necessary either. Cut those scenes out and you lose nothing and get it down to a more palatable hour and 50 minutes and gets it a PG17 rating instead of R. I'd still recommend it though, it is entertaining.

Like you, I was intrigued by the premise of The Purge, but when the reviews came out, I decided to pass. There is a sequel coming out this summer, The Purge: Anarchy (July 18th). Pending its reception, I may watch the first to prepare for it.

As far as Her goes, I loved it. The "sex" scene was unlike any I've ever seen, and it did catch me quite off guard. Though I did figure something of that nature would happen at some point. With that in mind, it didn't shake me too much. I can handle awkwardness fairly well; at least much better than the movie-goers in the theater I was in. Spike Jonze really impressed me as writer/director in this film and I'm glad he was rewarded with an Oscar win for Best Original Screenplay. One last comment; kudos to the casting director. This cast was my favorite of any film in the 2013. Joaquin Phoenix, Scarlett Johannsson (voice), Rooney Mara (my favorite actress), Olivia Wilde, Amy Adams, Chris Pratt were all cast for roles that fit their skill sets and personalities perfectly.

CardsIllinifan8

C
The problem with the purge was the first one concentrated on the family, and not the actual purge. The title is very misleading and sucked. The new one coming out should of been the first one.

pizzaman

Northwoods of Wisconsin
As far as Her goes, I loved it.

I couldn't get through Her. I gave up after about an hour. I expected to like it because I've liked other Spike Jonze movies but I just could not accept a human having a romance with a machine and that ruined it for me.

I couldn't get through Her. I gave up after about an hour. I expected to like it because I've liked other Spike Jonze movies but I just could not accept a human having a romance with a machine and that ruined it for me.

I'm curious, did you see the trailer prior to watching it?

pizzaman

Northwoods of Wisconsin
I'm curious, did you see the trailer prior to watching it?

No, but I did see coming attractions and I knew the plot. Nothing was a surprise. I just didn't find man's romantic relationship to technology interesting enough to watch. I thought I would like it based on how much I like a couple other films by Spike Jonze, Adaptation and Being John Malkovich.

No, but I did see coming attractions and I knew the plot. Nothing was a surprise. I just didn't find man's romantic relationship to technology interesting enough to watch. I thought I would like it based on how much I like a couple other films by Spike Jonze, Adaptation and Being John Malkovich.

I struggled with this as well during parts of the movie. But the ending did kind of make everything wrap up nicely. I can't tell you how many movies where I had the remote in hand and finger hovering over the stop button only to follow through to the end and have everything conclude in a way that made it worth sticking it out.

pizzaman

Northwoods of Wisconsin
I struggled with this as well during parts of the movie. But the ending did kind of make everything wrap up nicely. I can't tell you how many movies where I had the remote in hand and finger hovering over the stop button only to follow through to the end and have everything conclude in a way that made it worth sticking it out.

I'm the same way and if I were in a different mood I probably would have stuck it out to see if it ever grabbed me. I'll stick with about 98% of the films and books I elect to see or read but once in a while, I give up. Before we turned HER off I looked at my wife and she said she would prefer to do something else for the rest of the evening.

I think the last time we both elected to quit on a film was Borat. I like comedy and even gross comedy but that film lost us early and never recovered.

pizzaman

Northwoods of Wisconsin
In praise of a film, my wife and I watched American Hustle last week and I thought it was great, my wife just gave it a very good. I looked at IMDB and was really surprised at the number of people who did not like that film.

In praise of a film, my wife and I watched American Hustle last week and I thought it was great, my wife just gave it a very good. I looked at IMDB and was really surprised at the number of people who did not like that film.

I thought American Hustle was thoroughly entertaining. Perhaps people had higher expectations for David O. Russell after Silver Linings Playbook?

Caught Edge of Tomorrow last night. Fun entertainment! The plot reminded me somewhat of a video game, and the comparisons to a "Sci-Fi/action Groundhog Day" are accurate. Emily Blunt kicked some serious butt. Tom Cruise wasn't obnoxious, either, which very much benefited my movie experience.

3/4

Last edited:

CardsIllinifan8

C
22 Jump Street lived up to my expectations. Not as good as the first, but hilarious. Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill work surprisingly well together. Hope they do more comedy movies together in the future. 7.5/10

A Tatum part had me crying from laughing so hard. I absolutely lost it. Would recommend seeing.

Edge of Tomorrow not doing too well at the US box office but I really liked it. Tom Cruise did a great job and the direction kept the premise fresh. I think many people thought Cruise just did something like this in Oblivion so why bother, but it really is different and a lot of fun. Strong female character too.

8/10; recommended for those who like action mixed with humor, and don't mind CGI alien warfare. Also if you'd like to see Tom Cruise get beat up repeatedly!

Status
Not open for further replies.