Box Office Films

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
Walmart, of all companies, has pulled a really cool advertising stunt for this year's Oscars telecast by challenging 3 different directing teams to make a short film based on a receipt. This reminds me of some of the cool assignments we'd get in film or writing classes.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMmmdQsPe_U

Ian, you got any picks for the major categories at the Oscars tomorrow night?

I'll stick to those as I'm sure you've got an opinion on best sound mixing and best costume design but it's okay if you don't tell us your picks in those categories.

Ian, you got any picks for the major categories at the Oscars tomorrow night?

I'll stick to those as I'm sure you've got an opinion on best sound mixing and best costume design but it's okay if you don't tell us your picks in those categories.

Haha, I'm definitely a film buff, but nowhere near the level it takes to distinguish the quality of sound mixing from two Oscar nominated films. :p

Usually my friend that I run the site with do a predictions post, but this year we've been caught up with the happenings of life (his marriage, my dissertation). He's hoping to get La La Land and Arrival posted tomorrow, and I will be posting Kubo and the Two Strings and Moana.

Quick predictions!
-Best Picture: Moonlight (I think it's a two horse race between this and Hell or High Water)
-Best Actor: Ryan Gosling (Though I was a huge fan of Casey Affleck in Manchester by the Sea.)
-Best Actress: Emma Stone
-Best Supporting Actor: Mahershala Ali
-Best Supporting Actress: Viola Davis (For me, no one else is even close. I think she's one of the greatest actresses alive, and was unbelievable in Fences.)
-Best Animated Feature: Kubo and the Two Strings (More of a personal favorite from this category. It could go any direction.)
-Best Director: Barry Jenkins
-Best Documentary: 13th (Admittedly, the only one I've seen. Thanks Netflix!)
-Best Adapted Screenplay: Moonlight
-Best Original Screenplay: Hell or High Water

Link for the nominees: http://oscar.go.com/nominees

A lot of talking heads seem to think that La La Land is gonna run roughshod over the night including winning best picture but it looks you only have them winning a couple of the major ones. Any reason for that?

Also, while I get why you'd say 13th for best documentary, don't be surprised if O.J.: Made in America wins.

A lot of talking heads seem to think that La La Land is gonna run roughshod over the night including winning best picture but it looks you only have them winning a couple of the major ones. Any reason for that?

Also, while I get why you'd say 13th for best documentary, don't be surprised if O.J.: Made in America wins.

Just a gut feeling I suppose. I think Moonlight is a very important film, particularly given the politically charged climate which will undoubtedly be heard in many speeches tonight.

I'll have to give the O.J.: Made in America documentary a look!

Bailey

Los Angeles
I think Moonlight is a very important film

If a white-washed musical about a cookie cutter love story in Los Angeles gets the hardware over the aforementioned, I'll go ahead and abstain from ever giving a damn about the Oscars again.

If a white-washed musical about a cookie cutter love story in Los Angeles gets the hardware over the aforementioned, I'll go ahead and abstain from ever giving a damn about the Oscars again.

The main reason that La La Land is getting so much pub as a possible winner for Best Picture is more due to the fact that some believe (maybe rightly) that Hollywood always likes to pat themselves on the back and that film would be no better way to show it.

:thumb: Bingo.

After seeing the trailer, I felt no urgent desire to see it. Love Ryan Gosling. Love Emma Stone. The story didn't do anything for me. Moonlight wonderfully told a story that was powerful and raw that forced you to live in the harsh realities of Chiron's world.

dgcrow

Kelso, WA
The main reason that La La Land is getting so much pub as a possible winner for Best Picture is more due to the fact that some believe (maybe rightly) that Hollywood always likes to pat themselves on the back and that film would be no better way to show it.

Agreed. I thought "La La" was pretty good. Not REAL good, but pretty good. It'll probably win the lion's share of the Academy Awards for the given above.

Walmart, of all companies, has pulled a really cool advertising stunt for this year's Oscars telecast by challenging 3 different directing teams to make a short film based on a receipt. This reminds me of some of the cool assignments we'd get in film or writing classes.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMmmdQsPe_U

I really liked this campaign. Antoine Fuqua and Marc Forster's were the first two. Seth Rogan and Evan Goldberg are last.

Gee the director of the best foreign language film can't be there and they just happen to have that film listed last among the nominees. No reason for that at all I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.