Box Office Films

Status
Not open for further replies.
What in the world just happened??? Did Moonlight really win???

Yeah. Warren Beatty basically said that he got handed the best actress Oscar envelope and that's why he stalled as long as he did before announcing it.

So the stage hand who handed him the wrong envelope is likely never going to be seen or heard from again.

For those who haven't seen it, Get Out is must-see. Saw it 5 hours ago and my heart is still racing.

For those who haven't seen it, Get Out is must-see. Saw it 5 hours ago and my heart is still racing.

With the exception of Daniel Kaluuya, who was also the only bright spot in his episode of Black Mirror, the movie was poorly acted. White people tend to generously appraise movies with safe racial overtones (see the awful and pretentious Crash). Expressing satisfaction for said movies makes (insert white person) feel as though they are on the correct side of the message; resulting in self-appointed distinctions of "progressiveness". It's this kind of exaggerated response to racial matters that Get Out was precisely mocking, which was the best part of the movie.

In short: Don't worry yourself over seeing it in theaters. Simply wait for it to play on HBO in 6 months.

With the exception of Daniel Kaluuya, who was also the only bright spot in his episode of Black Mirror, the movie was poorly acted. White people tend to generously appraise movies with safe racial overtones (see the awful and pretentious Crash). Expressing satisfaction for said movies makes (insert white person) feel as though they are on the correct side of the message; resulting in self-appointed distinctions of "progressiveness". It's this kind of exaggerated response to racial matters that Get Out was precisely mocking, which was the best part of the movie.

In short: Don't worry yourself over seeing it in theaters. Simply wait for it to play on HBO in 6 months.

As is the case within the horror and thriller genres, exceptional acting isn't necessarily the key to a successful film. Kaluuya's performance was wonderful to see, but Jordan Peele's script was superb. I'm not sure if you are actively doing so, but comparing the racial message of Get Out to Crash is insulting to the former. Get Out is a quality film when approached from the lens of either a social commentary on race, but a strong film when looked at solely as a dark comedy/horror film.

In short, I respectfully disagree and recommend it for viewing in theaters (and support quality small budget filmmakers).

As is the case within the horror and thriller genres, exceptional acting isn't necessarily the key to a successful film. Kaluuya's performance was wonderful to see, but Jordan Peele's script was superb. I'm not sure if you are actively doing so, but comparing the racial message of Get Out to Crash is insulting to the former. Get Out is a quality film when approached from the lens of either a social commentary on race, but a strong film when looked at solely as a dark comedy/horror film.

In short, I respectfully disagree and recommend it for viewing in theaters (and support quality small budget filmmakers).

You're right. Exceptional acting isn't necessarily the key to the success in the horror/thriller genre. But poor acting is especially detrimental to such a genre, and that's what transpired in Get Out. Even the normally reliable Catherine Keener struggled. With the exception of Daniel Kaluuya--a rising star in the industry--the actors in Get Out struggled mightily. They seemed as if they were caricatures of the genre; performing as if the movie was a satirical movie written and directed by one of the Wayans brothers.

Crash was mentioned in regards to the pretentious nature in which white people review movies with strong racial overtones. People who like Crash are almost always the self-important types, pretentious on their journey to unattainable intellectualism. Oh, and these same people will go on and on about how great American Beauty was; another filmic exercise in masterbation.

The best part of Get Out, besides Daniel Kaluuya, was its poignant and relevant racial message. Considering that message is indicting the very people (white, New York Times-reading liberals) who will be exaggerating this movie for the reasons already stated, that message remains validated.

I'm normally not a fan of big-budget superhero movies, but Logan was outstanding. Besides being highly entertaining in its extreme violence, it was especially well acted. Hugh Jackman doesn't get the credit he deserves for his well-rounded acting chops. Just check out both The Prestige and The Fountain to see Jackman's acting prowess. Anyway, Logan is exactly the kind of movie people were meant to see in theaters.

Spoilers--- I was disappointed with Get Out. For the rave reviews it has, I was expecting much more. For the big buildup that was going on the whole time the result was quite the let down. I thought it was just a pretty average horror/thriller whatever they're classifying that as. Just some story, then a little twist, which wasn't a bad twist really, then the ever so common sudden escape and happy ending. In my opinion not really worth planning to go see in theaters. Maybe cheap price on a Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.