Box Office Films

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm normally not a fan of big-budget superhero movies, but Logan was outstanding. Besides being highly entertaining in its extreme violence, it was especially well acted. Hugh Jackman doesn't get the credit he deserves for his well-rounded acting chops. Just check out both The Prestige and The Fountain to see Jackman's acting prowess. Anyway, Logan is exactly the kind of movie people were meant to see in theaters.

Interesting. As a mental 10 year old when it comes to superheroes I'm excited by everything but I could never get in to any x men stuff.

icengineer

Southern Illinois
Absolutely loved Logan. Haven't seen it for a second time yet but will soon. Just watched A Monster Calls. I hadn't read any reviews, it was not what I expected at all. I enjoyed it a lot. Movies that are out but haven't seen, Manchester by the Sea, Ghost in the Machine, 4k version of Donnie Darko, Kong Skull Island. Anyone seen Raw?

There are a ton of movies coming out in the next couple of months that I'm looking forward to seeing. Wonder Woman, Guardians of the Galaxy pt 2, Dunkirk, Alien Covenant, etc. Seems like it's going to a fun year at the movies!

Semester is winding down, so I'm hoping to get some reviews up in the next few weeks (Get Out, Kong: Skull Island, and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2)!

icengineer

Southern Illinois
I saw the new Guardians on Friday. It was just as fun as the first. FYI, there are 5 end credit scenes so make sure you stay for all of them. I left after the third/Ayesha clip and thought there couldn't possibly be more. I love all the Easter Eggs they squeeze into the movie. I caught most of them but I'm going to maybe go see it again this week and see if I catch anything else.

icengineer

Southern Illinois
I saw Guardians last weekend. I thought it was really good though I'd put the original slightly ahead of it.

Yes, that is exactly what I've told everyone who's asked me. So what's up next in the MCU? Is it Thor Ragnarok? Don't know if they showed the Thor preview at your theater but I got a kick out of the Thor/Hulk Gladiator bit. I don't know if that is going to be a tie-in to a Planet Hulk movie or not. I sure hope it is! I actually think a stand alone Planet Hulk movie(s) would be awesome and do quite well! Not every Marvel movie has to have direct tie-ins to others. I don't believe the Hulk is going to be in the Civil War movies so it would be cool if they have an early sequence in one of the next couple of MCU movies that shows him being banished from Earth (Ragnarok most likely?). Thereby setting up the perfect segue into a Planet Hulk flick.

I haven't read any comics at all since I was a teenager but I have to admit that all the Marvel (and DC to a much lesser extent) movies has really gotten me excited and totally drawn into watching every single one of their movies. I've not dipped my toe into any of the TV stuff yet, but I'm thinking on it....

Last edited:

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
Yes, that is exactly what I've told everyone who's asked me. So what's up next in the MCU? Is it Thor Ragnarok? Don't know if they showed the Thor preview at your theater but I got a kick out of the Thor/Hulk Gladiator bit. I don't know if that is going to be a tie-in to a Planet Hulk movie or not. I sure hope it is! I actually think a stand alone Planet Hulk movie(s) would be awesome and do quite well! Not every Marvel movie has to have direct tie-ins to others. I don't believe the Hulk is going to be in the Civil War movies so it would be cool if they have an early sequence in one of the next couple of MCU movies that shows him being banished from Earth (Ragnarok most likely?). Thereby setting up the perfect segue into a Planet Hulk flick.

I haven't read any comics at all since I was a teenager but I have to admit that all the Marvel (and DC to a much lesser extent) movies has really gotten me excited and totally drawn into watching every single one of their movies. I've not dipped my toe into any of the TV stuff yet, but I'm thinking on it....

Agents of Shield is kind of fun. I haven't watched any of the DC stuff.

Yes, that is exactly what I've told everyone who's asked me. So what's up next in the MCU? Is it Thor Ragnarok?

Actually Spider-Man: Homecoming is the next film in the MCU. It's set to come out the weekend after 4th of July.

Thor: Ragnarok is set to be released the first weekend in November.

And actually since we're on the topic of superhero films, there's two DCEU films coming out before the end of the year.

Wonder Woman is set to be released the first weekend in June.

Justice League will be released in November, a couple weeks after Thor: Ragnarok.

icengineer

Southern Illinois
Actually Spider-Man: Homecoming is the next film in the MCU. It's set to come out the weekend after 4th of July.

Thor: Ragnarok is set to be released the first weekend in November.

And actually since we're on the topic of superhero films, there's two DCEU films coming out before the end of the year.

Wonder Woman is set to be released the first weekend in June.

Justice League will be released in November, a couple weeks after Thor: Ragnarok.

Wonder Woman! I really hope this movie does well. I don't particularly care too much about the DC heroes outside of Wonder Woman. I mean, they are okay, but I've always had a soft spot for her, which I think is directly attributed to Lynda Carter. :D Maybe after Gal Gadot ages a few more years she'll fill out a bit to be more like the WW that I fondly remember! :thumb:

I'm very interested in seeing the justice league. Could be fun with "new heros" like aqua man and the flash. And I actually quite like Afleck as batman.

I very much enjoyed Wonder Woman. Though I think the slow-motion during the fight scenes was a bit overdone.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
I watched Okja (Netflix Original) last night. Highly recommended.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
Just got back from watching Dunkirk. I've always enjoyed Nolan's films, and this is one of his best. I wish I had watched it on an IMAX screen, as I'm sure it would have enhanced the experience.

Just got back from watching Dunkirk. I've always enjoyed Nolan's films, and this is one of his best. I wish I had watched it on an IMAX screen, as I'm sure it would have enhanced the experience.

I saw Dunkirk last night and it very well might be his best. With every step and breath the characters took, you knew just what those kids were going through.

I also saw Spider-Man: Homecoming last night as part of a double feature, and plan to see Baby Driver tonight.

My reviews have been slacking since the Oscars because of my dissertation and comps exams coming up next month, but I plan on a huge dump of reviews when the storm calms a bit.

I also saw Spider-Man: Homecoming last night as part of a double feature, and plan to see Baby Driver tonight.

My reviews have been slacking since the Oscars because of my dissertation and comps exams coming up next month, but I plan on a huge dump of reviews when the storm calms a bit.

I thoroughly enjoyed both.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
For anyone intending to see "Dunkirk"--I recommend seeing it in IMAX, or at minimum a theater with RPX sound. It's one of the most immersive films I've ever seen, you can feel explosions and the hum of a ship's engine. I won't argue the actual merits of the film, as I think it has some narrative and thematic flaws, but it's a spectacle I haven't experienced since the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan.

For anyone intending to see "Dunkirk"--I recommend seeing it in IMAX, or at minimum a theater with RPX sound. It's one of the most immersive films I've ever seen, you can feel explosions and the hum of a ship's engine. I won't argue the actual merits of the film, as I think it has some narrative and thematic flaws, but it's a spectacle I haven't experienced since the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan.

How's the level of war violence in the film? Heard a reviewer the other day say it was the 3rd most violent war movie they'd seen behind Saving Private Ryan and Hacksaw Ridge.

How's the level of war violence in the film? Heard a reviewer the other day say it was the 3rd most violent war movie they'd seen behind Saving Private Ryan and Hacksaw Ridge.

I think it depends on if you mean violence or gore. I told my wife I thought it was weird how it was violent (gun shots/explosions/dog fighting) but not at all gory. Much of it is implied, but not shown. But that's just my opinion.

I think it depends on if you mean violence or gore. I told my wife I thought it was weird how it was violent (gun shots/explosions/dog fighting) but not at all gory. Much of it is implied, but not shown. But that's just my opinion.

I would agree with this assessment. As Ransom Stoddard described, it's the immersion in the experience that brings about the intimacy of the violence, rather than any sort of gore.

Bailey

Los Angeles
Baby Driver was awesome.

It didn't move me much in theater, but after having a friend describe it as "the best musical I've ever seen", the light sort of went on for me. If I watch it again it will be through that lens.

Watched Atomic Blonde last night. I was actually surprised that it's as good as it is. Given, in my opinion, the terrible movie title.

icengineer

Southern Illinois
Watched Atomic Blonde last night. I was actually surprised that it's as good as it is. Given, in my opinion, the terrible movie title.

As good as the Accountant or John Wick movies? I loved those. I'd rate The Accountant first, then Wick, and Wick 2.

I believe Atomic Blonde is the name of the comic book/graphic novel it's based on.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
As good as the Accountant or John Wick movies? I loved those. I'd rate The Accountant first, then Wick, and Wick 2.

I believe Atomic Blonde is the name of the comic book/graphic novel it's based on.

Charlize is a blonde, and definitely atomic. Truth in advertising, folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.