Box Office Films

Status
Not open for further replies.
As good as the Accountant or John Wick movies? I loved those. I'd rate The Accountant first, then Wick, and Wick 2.

I believe Atomic Blonde is the name of the comic book/graphic novel it's based on.

It's more in line with the accountant, I think. I would take it over the John Wick movies.

icengineer

Southern Illinois
It's more in line with the accountant, I think. I would take it over the John Wick movies.

Interesting.., I had planned on seeing it in a couple weeks when I return home from my current travels. I'm always good for a La Femme Nikita type movie. :D

Ever seen Hanna?

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Interesting.., I had planned on seeing it in a couple weeks when I return home from my current travels. I'm always good for a La Femme Nikita type movie. :D

Ever seen Hanna?

Haven't seen it. Will now, though. I was thinking along the lines of Run Lola Run as far as feel and fast pace. Is it anything like that?

icengineer

Southern Illinois
Haven't seen it. Will now, though. I was thinking along the lines of Run Lola Run as far as feel and fast pace. Is it anything like that?

Haha, well I haven't seen Run Lola Run. I have it somewhere on DVD, but have yet to watch it. I like the actress in Hanna, Saoirse Ronan. I first saw her in The Lovely Bones and looked her up and saw she was in Hanna so I watched it. If you like seeing a female in a kick-some-arse role you will enjoy it. :thumb:

Haha, well I haven't seen Run Lola Run. I have it somewhere on DVD, but have yet to watch it. I like the actress in Hanna, Saoirse Ronan. I first saw her in The Lovely Bones and looked her up and saw she was in Hanna so I watched it. If you like seeing a female in a kick-some-arse role you will enjoy it. :thumb:

That's why I'm excited to see Atomic Blonde. I'm hoping they don't cheapen it with a cheesy love plot, though (huge pet peeve of mine in action films, regardless of male or female lead).

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
That's why I'm excited to see Atomic Blonde. I'm hoping they don't cheapen it with a cheesy love plot, though (huge pet peeve of mine in action films, regardless of male or female lead).

I haven't seen it yet, but based on interviews I've read with Theron, they haven't--at least not a "love plot" in the usual sense, although I believe there are some scenes of physical intimacy. Charlize is one of the co-producers and was very insistent that this carry the same kind of ethos as Bond/Bourne/etc. films and not make concessions because the lead is female.

Finally got a chance to see Dunkirk today. Absolutely amazing film. Everything Nolan did with this film was perfect and it would not surprise me in the least to see this film clean up when awards season rolls around.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
I really want to see Wind River. Unfortunately, it's currently playing on limited screens. Debating whether to drive into Chicago to see it.

What? No one is going to the movies anymore?? LOL. I just saw Wind River yesterday. Wow, good flick! Also saw Spiderman Homecoming. It was fun. Never was a big Spiderman fan but it was better then many of the recent iterations of Spiderman. I'll be hitting up Thor: Ragnarok Friday Morning.

I can't wait to get back into the discussion of movies again. It's been a whirlwind of a few months for me in my program. I haven't been able to do much movie viewing of late, let alone writing up any reviews. :(

Good news, though, I passed my written & oral comprehensive exams and successfully defended my dissertation proposal! Now I have two weeks of internship applications ahead of me. Never-ending hurdles!

That said, I did see Spiderman: Homecoming several months back and really liked what I saw in the glimpse of what the Marvel Cinematic Universe might take following the conclusion of The Avengers saga.

SublimeBeast

Dieterich, IL
I watched Thank You For Your Service last night with the wife...amazing movie. Highly recommended.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
I saw Dukirk last night. It was good, well made. But I have to admit, I was disappointed. Where was the action? The dogfight/aerial scenes were pretty cool. But outside of that there was no other fighting really. Dunkirk Evacuation would have been a more apt title, but it wouldn't have put as many behinds in the seats.

I agree with what you say, but when I look at this in the context of a Christopher Nolan film, rather than "war" film it's a remarkable piece of film making. Seeing it in IMAX with a cranked-up sound system was probably the most immersive cinema experience I've ever had, and the visceral part of it enhanced Nolan's flair for the cerebral.

icengineer

Southern Illinois
Movies I've seen recently. Kingsman Golden Circle, fun movie. The Dark Tower, good if you were into the books. Hitman's Bodyguard, fun if you enjoyed Reynolds in Deadpool. Wind River, very good. Dunkirk, very well made, I was expecting more of a "war" movie, the aerial scenes were excellent but there wasn't a whole lot of fighting going on otherwise. Spiderman Homecoming, not the biggest Spidey fan but I enjoyed this, plus I wanted to see what tie-in were presented for the other Marvel movies. Thor Ragnarok, very good if you like the Marvel offerings. Blade Runner, excellent, I had hoped they'd fill in a bit better on the what happened immediately after the original. But no real complaints.

icengineer

Southern Illinois
Movies I want to see but aren't being shown anywhere near me presently (AZ). I'll be in Austin in about a week, maybe I can find them there. Lady Bird and Most Beautiful Island. Anyone seen them?

Thor Ragnarok, very good if you like the Marvel offerings.

I caught Thor: Ragnarok last night! Such an improvement over the previous Thor offering, which was rather dull, in my opinion. The humor in the latest was fantastic. I have to admit, I went in not having done any background research, and I hardly recognized Cate Blanchett with her hair that dark.

icengineer

Southern Illinois
I caught Thor: Ragnarok last night! Such an improvement over the previous Thor offering, which was rather dull, in my opinion. The humor in the latest was fantastic. I have to admit, I went in not having done any background research, and I hardly recognized Cate Blanchett with her hair that dark.

I wasn't aware that she was in it as well. At her first appearance I thought, "Is that Lilith? Can't be!" Lol.

Thor was awesome. The humor was fantastic and totally unexpected.

Caught two films before a late wedding on Saturday afternoon.

The first was Murder on the Orient Express. Far from a perfect film, but I love a clever who-done-it storyline. The second was Happy Death Day, which I only saw because its start time and run-time synced perfectly for when I had to be at the ceremony. It was brutally cliche, with a characters that were hard to like, but it was far from the worst horror film I've ever seen. The high school girls a few rows behind me seemed to love it.

icengineer

Southern Illinois
Caught two films before a late wedding on Saturday afternoon.

The first was Murder on the Orient Express. Far from a perfect film, but I love a clever who-done-it storyline. The second was Happy Death Day, which I only saw because its start time and run-time synced perfectly for when I had to be at the ceremony. It was brutally cliche, with a characters that were hard to like, but it was far from the worst horror film I've ever seen. The high school girls a few rows behind me seemed to love it.

Thanks for this review! HDD I was intrigued by, but just wasn't sure. I'll still see it because it will be cheap, (yay for MoviePass!!) but it will be as a 'fill in' much the same as you. I had intended to see Orient the past couple days but my schedule got tweaked a bit and it just didn't happen.

I had every intention to see Justice League on Friday but I may need to spend the day in a foreign consulate dealing with some Holiday travel issues. I am disappointed in some things that have leaked out from early world-wide releases.

SPOILER ALERT!!!

Namely the Amazonian outfits used by Zach Snyder. Wonder Woman was such a fantastic movie that I cannot fathom why he would deviate from it in JL. The timeline change excuse thrown about does not work for me in the least bit!!! I wonder about Snyder. As a Director he's had a few well reviewed movies, Watchmen, 300, DotD.... but mostly poor showings otherwise (I loved Sucker Punch despite the poor reviews!!) so who knows??

icengineer

Southern Illinois
I saw Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri tonight. Fantastic film!

Status
Not open for further replies.