Box Office Films

Status
Not open for further replies.

CardsIllinifan8

C
Just Nolan and MM together. YES, PLEASE!!!

Nolan is the greatest movie creator of this generation. He just gets "it".

I want it to be good... but that trailer doesn't give me much hope. The whole Astronaut Farmer/doomsday scenario gives me a weird vibe and I wonder how they work this into something that saves all mankind with a neat little bow on it. Will they bring something back that saves us all or find another planet for us to go to? Neither outcome would seem to be something feasibly accomplished in a short period of time, meaning his childrens lifetime. We'll see though, I'll probably give it a week or two so I can read some reviews unless they come out with some more enticing trailers.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
I want it to be good... but that trailer doesn't give me much hope. The whole Astronaut Farmer/doomsday scenario gives me a weird vibe and I wonder how they work this into something that saves all mankind with a neat little bow on it. Will they bring something back that saves us all or find another planet for us to go to? Neither outcome would seem to be something feasibly accomplished in a short period of time, meaning his childrens lifetime. We'll see though, I'll probably give it a week or two so I can read some reviews unless they come out with some more enticing trailers.

Have to agree with you, the trailer looks kind of silly. We ran out of food? Look at all the nice corn fields in the rural scenes. The world running out of food theory has been debunked for a long time now.

That's the beauty of this trailer; it doesn't reveal any answers and it raises so many questions. The problem with a lot of trailers in modern Hollywood is that so much plot is exposed in a 3 minute clip, it ends up taking away the suspense of the unknown.

I am very confident that this will be both a critical and financial success. Nolan's track record speaks for itself in both of these realms. And my goodness, look at the (known) cast: Matthew McConaghey, Anne Hathaway, Michael Caine, Casey Affleck, Jessica Chastain. We know what roles McConaghey and Caine will play, but where Hathaway, Affleck, and Chastain fit in is a mystery.

The unknown is why I am excited for Interstellar.

Just Nolan and MM together. YES, PLEASE!!!

Nolan is the greatest movie creator of this generation. He just gets "it".

I'm partial to Quentin Tarantino and Wes Anderson, but I've never left the theater disappointed after viewing a Nolan film.

Last edited:
Have to agree with you, the trailer looks kind of silly. We ran out of food? Look at all the nice corn fields in the rural scenes. The world running out of food theory has been debunked for a long time now.

Well, this is a science-fiction film after all. The theory that a giant kaiju wreaking havoc on planet Earth in the near future has presumably been debunked for a long time, too, but that won't stop Godzilla from being at the top of the box office this weekend and receiving critical acclaim.

That's the beauty of this trailer; it doesn't reveal any answers and it raises so many questions. The problem with a lot of trailers in modern Hollywood is that so much plot is exposed in a 3 minute clip, it ends up taking away the suspense of the unknown.

I am very confident that this will be both a critical and financial success. Nolan's track record speaks for itself in both of these realms. And my goodness, look at the (known) cast: Matthew McConaghey, Anne Hathaway, Michael Caine, Casey Affleck, Jessica Chastain. We know what roles McConaghey and Caine will play, but where Hathaway, Affleck, and Chastain fit in is a mystery.

The unknown is why I am excited for Interstellar.

I understand all this and I will give it the benefit of the doubt. And I despise trailers that give the entire story away as well, I'm not looking for that. But in order for me to plop down $20.00+ for a ticket and snacks I need more than that, otherwise I'll wait.

When Gravity came out it was hailed, and even nominated I think, as Motion Picture of the Year by nearly everyone. I saw it and thoroughly enjoyed it, but primarily for the cinematography. Didn't care for Clooney or Bullock in their parts and thought the plot was pretty thin. But I only paid $5.00 for a used copy and will likely watch it a few more times, so it was well worth it. I just want Interstellar to be something more than what Gravity was.

I understand all this and I will give it the benefit of the doubt. And I despise trailers that give the entire story away as well, I'm not looking for that. But in order for me to plop down $20.00+ for a ticket and snacks I need more than that, otherwise I'll wait.

When Gravity came out it was hailed, and even nominated I think, as Motion Picture of the Year by nearly everyone. I saw it and thoroughly enjoyed it, but primarily for the cinematography. Didn't care for Clooney or Bullock in their parts and thought the plot was pretty thin. But I only paid $5.00 for a used copy and will likely watch it a few more times, so it was well worth it. I just want Interstellar to be something more than what Gravity was.

Gravity was a special circumstance in that the way you consumed it greatly affected your experience. If I saw it in my house I would be pretty nonplussed as well, but seeing it in 3d IMAX is the a good example of why cinemas should exist.

Interstellar looks so good. There is a lot of speculation on who Jessica chastain plays. I won't spoil it here

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
Gravity was a special circumstance in that the way you consumed it greatly affected your experience. If I saw it in my house I would be pretty nonplussed as well, but seeing it in 3d IMAX is the a good example of why cinemas should exist.

Interstellar looks so good. There is a lot of speculation on who Jessica chastain plays. I won't spoil it here

I tend to disagree with the bolded. If the format makes a difference, what you're experiencing is spectacle, and not cinema. That's not to say that the two don't intertwine, they have since the advent of color, then CinemaScope, then the first wave of 3D, etc. etc., but few of those "spectacles" really stand the test of time. I tend to doubt that people will be singing the praises of Avatar or Gravity 50 years from now, simply because the stories don't engage (IMO, obviously).

IMAX gives me a headache. I've never seen an IMAX 3D production because all the 3D viewing I've sampled on state of the art installations at high end A/V stores just didn't do anything for me. Sensory overload.

Last edited:

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL
Just got back from X-Men. Was awesome, right on par with First Class.

Anyone seen Godzilla yet?

I'll be seeing it when I get paid next week. A trustworthy friend of mine said it was worth the price of admission. Critics and audiences have positive things to say about it (73% and 75%, respectively, on Rotten Tomatoes).

Thanks. I like Rotten Tomatoes and use it extensively. Don't get me wrong, I've had many reviews I disagreed with over the years, but it's a very good site to use as a guideline/reference.

I watched an older movie the other night that I've had sitting on the shelf for a few years, Roman Polanski's Repulsion. I was looking at a list online of Scary/Mind Twisting movies and it was on there so I pulled it out and watched it. OMG, what a great movie!

Thanks. I like Rotten Tomatoes and use it extensively. Don't get me wrong, I've had many reviews I disagreed with over the years, but it's a very good site to use as a guideline/reference.

I watched an older movie the other night that I've had sitting on the shelf for a few years, Roman Polanski's Repulsion. I was looking at a list online of Scary/Mind Twisting movies and it was on there so I pulled it out and watched it. OMG, what a great movie!

I would appreciate Polanski so much more if he wasn't a pedophile; he is such a brilliant filmmaker. Rosemary's Baby, Chinatown, The Pianist, among others, are undeniably wonderful films.

I would appreciate Polanski so much more if he wasn't a pedophile; he is such a brilliant filmmaker. Rosemary's Baby, Chinatown, The Pianist, among others, are undeniably wonderful films.

No doubt, I don't like the man at all.

Just got back from Godzilla. It was formulaic and somewhat predictable, but nonetheless entertaining. The character development was slow and underdeveloped. It was "discount Tuesday" at my city's theater, so I only paid $5.50 for the ticket. I'd give it a 2.5/4. Last summer's Pacific Rim was a much more engaging, entertaining, and complete film.

One of the trailers was for Disney's Maleficent, which is opens this weekend. I am baffled as to how this film got a PG rating. I'm far from a fan of the MPAA in regards to how they rate movies (primarily with the differences between PG-13 & R), but I have the feeling this slipped through the cracks somehow or Disney may have had some sway with its name.

Just got back from Godzilla. It was formulaic and somewhat predictable, but nonetheless entertaining. The character development was slow and underdeveloped. It was "discount Tuesday" at my city's theater, so I only paid $5.50 for the ticket. I'd give it a 2.5/4. Last summer's Pacific Rim was a much more engaging, entertaining, and complete film.

One of the trailers was for Disney's Maleficent, which is opens this weekend. I am baffled as to how this film got a PG rating. I'm far from a fan of the MPAA in regards to how they rate movies (primarily with the differences between PG-13 & R), but I have the feeling this slipped through the cracks somehow or Disney may have had some sway with its name.

I don't doubt you at all, but what is the issue you have with the rating? Violence, language?

I don't doubt you at all, but what is the issue you have with the rating? Violence, language?

The violence (fighting/battle scenes) and themes (revenge, vengeance, "Bring me her head") in the Maleficence trailer seemed to be similar in excess of what I would expect from a PG rated film and closer to that of the Lord of the Rings trilogy; all three of which were PG-13. Similarly, the Harry Potter series (devout follower that I am; admittedly) had 8 films; 4 PG and 4 PG-13.

Perhaps it was seeing it in the theater environment that had me feeling conflicted. Or maybe it's Angelina Jolie who has always seemed to spook me with her roles. The first minute of the trailer (linked below) appears to be relatively harmless. However, the latter half shows a much darker side to this story. And to clarify, I am not knocking Maleficence in itself; but rather its MPAA rating. Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-XO4XiRop0

Last edited:

pizzaman

Northwoods of Wisconsin
It is certainly not a box office film, but I checked the DVD of Chinatown out at the library over the weekend. My wife and I saw it in the theater in when it was released in 1974 but not since.

Great film that holds up exceptionally well. For younger movie fans, it's worth seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.