Box Office Films

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
I was fortunate enough to catch the Fred Rogers documentary Won't You Be My Neighbor? at a local indie theater here in Akron. I only cried through about 95% of it. What an incredible human being.
I so want to see that. He was my personal hero when I was a kid.

I so want to see that. He was my personal hero when I was a kid.

Obviously with this as an internet forum, I'm not sure of your age, but the small theater I was in held probably 3-5 generations of neighbors who grew up with Mr. Rogers. It was a beautiful sight to see.

The entire documentary blends humor with sadness and heartbreak, alongside deeply personal interviews with those who knew him best. It served me as a nostalgic reminder of the lessons I learned with him on my television, but also provided insight to the aspects of Fred Rogers that as a child I would never have known.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Obviously with this as an internet forum, I'm not sure of your age, but the small theater I was in held probably 3-5 generations of neighbors who grew up with Mr. Rogers. It was a beautiful sight to see.

The entire documentary blends humor with sadness and heartbreak, alongside deeply personal interviews with those who knew him best. It served me as a nostalgic reminder of the lessons I learned with him on my television, but also provided insight to the aspects of Fred Rogers that as a child I would never have known.
I'm nearly 41 now, so my formative years when I was watching Mr. Rogers were generally the early 80s, so pretty much the middle of his run. Definitely had a profound impact on me and many others of my generation and even the previous and later ones who were able to watch reruns of the show.

Oscars set to make a few changes beginning with the 2020 ceremony. The biggest of which is what will more or less be called the "Most Popular film" category which will give a chance to blockbuster films that have been shut out by the academy such as science fiction, horror, and superhero films. No word yet on the parameters of the category and what the eligibility requirements will be.

They're also set to have the Oscars telecast only be 3 hours long starting in 2020 and to have a lot of the "lesser" awards be announced during commercial breaks with the winning moments then being edited and aired later during the telecast.

They're also set to move the Oscars date up a couple of weeks as well. The 2019 Oscars are set to air February 24, 2019. The 2020 Oscars will air on February 9, 2019, one week after the Super Bowl.

The new Will Ferrell-John C. Reilly film Holmes & Watson is apparently so bad (currently at a 9% on Rotten Tomatoes) that not even Netflix would buy the film after Sony tried to unload it to the streaming site.

The new Will Ferrell-John C. Reilly film Holmes & Watson is apparently so bad (currently at a 9% on Rotten Tomatoes) that not even Netflix would buy the film after Sony tried to unload it to the streaming site.

It's become a Reddit meme for walking out of the theater.

For the sake of discussion, I've never done it, but the closest I came was during Fifty Shades of Grey. Do not get me wrong, I love a cheesy romance film, but had I not been on a date at the time, it would have been a lock to walk out of.

Back in my film review graduate school days, this was my favorite review that wrote.
https://doublefeaturefilmreviews.wordpress.com/2015/03/11/fifty-shades-of-grey-2015/

Any films other IL readers have walked out of?

Any films other IL readers have walked out of?

Never walked out of a film as I'm usually pretty choosy about the films I go to see and rarely desire to ever see any of the really awful films (which one can pretty well tell from the trailers).

I think Gene Siskel once said he had only ever walked out of three films: The Million Dollar Duck (1976), Maniac (1980), and Black Sheep (which I can kind of understand as there are some points where that movie just gets way too overly goofy).

Had I not been with my kids, I was walking on Star Wars Episode 1 when I realized Jar Jar was there for good. The same with "Love Actually." What freaking dreck.

Star Wars Episode 1 I can see how you'd feel that way. I strongly disagree with you on Love Actually. While there are parts of it that aren't great on re-watch (namely Andrew Lincoln's role in the film), it's not as bad as you think.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
LOL my wife is a big fan of Love Actually. I've never walked out of a movie before but did see quite a few people walk out during Magnolia. That's the only one where I've seen that happen, actually.

Ian, any predictions for the Oscars tomorrow night?

It's been a busy year for me, so I haven't gotten around to see as many as I'd like to, but with that being said I am cheering for a whole lot of Roma and an upset-win by Wes Anderson.
-Best Picture: "Roma" (streaming now on Netflix).
-Lead Actress: Yalitza Aparicio, “Roma” (I simply loved this film because of her performance).
-Director: Alfonso Cuarón, “Roma” (This was a heartfelt script from him. Each scene is personal).
-Animated Feature: “Isle of Dogs,” Wes Anderson (Huge Wes Anderson fan, but it probably goes to Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse).

I see. I noticed that Best Supporting Actor has the last two winners of that category nominated again. Though I wouldn't be surprised to see Sam Elliott getting the nod as the Academy has been known to give an award as sort of a recognition of a long career.

I could see any of the nominees for Best Actor winning. A legit argument could be made for any one of them. It's not like last year where it was a given that Oldman would win for Darkest Hour.

Wow. Green Book as Best Picture is a surprise too. I would have figured Roma or Bohemian Rhapsody would have been the pick before Green Book. And that's not to take anything away from Green Book itself. Just not the film I would have figured they would have picked for Best Picture.