Box Office Films

Warner Bros. pushing the new Christopher Nolan film, Tenet, back two more weeks, to July 31st. Was originally supposed to be the first new wide release in theaters once they reopened. Now Mulan will be the first wide release film on July 24th. In place of Tenet on July 17th, Warner Bros. will re-release Inception to celebrate the film's 10th anniversary.

Ian, how was Pete Davidson in that movie? I was curious to see that film based on what I've seen him do on SNL.

Pete seems to be pretty hit-or-miss to a lot of folks I've talked to, but in this film he was really strong. I wonder if it's perhaps due to the story being loosely based on his own life (i.e., losing his father at a young age), but it's easy to empathize with his character because of his performance.

Some more release dates being pushed back or moved around:

-Unhinged (new Russell Crowe movie that is being used as a test case for films opening in theaters): Pushed back from July 1 to July 10.
-Bill and Ted Face The Music: Moved up a week from August 21st to August 14th
-No Time To Die (new Bond movie): Moved up from November 25th to November 20th
-Tom & Jerry (live action/animated film version of the cartoon): Pushed back from December 23, 2020 to March 5, 2021.
-Godzilla vs. Kong: Moved from November 20, 2020 to May 21, 2021 (This would have it released the same weekend as the new Saw movie that stars Chris Rock and Samuel L. Jackson)
-The Witches (adaptation of the Roald Dahl book being directed and co-written by Robert Zemeckis): Moved from October 9, 2020 to an undetermined 2021 release date
-The Matrix 4: Pushed back from May 21, 2021 to April 1, 2022

In addition, Wonder Woman 1984 has been pushed back for a 3rd time. It is now set to be released on October 2.

He filmed those movies while battling colon cancer. That is beastly.

tenor.gif

I knew the original plan for the next stage of the MCU was to center it around Spider-Man, Dr. Strange, and Black Panther. I wonder if they stay with that and just find someone to replace Boseman in the role or if they go another route.

I had also forgotten that he played Jackie Robinson in 42 and today was Jackie Robinson Day for this season in MLB.

For posters on here of a certain age, this will make you feel old...

Home Alone was released in theaters 30 years ago today and the first Harry Potter film was released in theaters 19 years ago today.

94th Academy Awards will be heading back to March with next year's ceremony and will be held March 27, 2022. Ceremony is being held in March rather than February due to the Super Bowl and Winter Olympics.

The ceremony will only cover films released between March 1st and December 31st of this year. The eligibility requirements from last year will remain the same, which means:
Films which are intended for theatrical release, but are initially made available through commercial streaming, VOD service or other broadcast may qualify under these provisions:
• That the film be made available on the secure Academy Screening Room member site within 60 days of the film’s streaming/VOD release or broadcast;
• That it meets all other eligibility requirements

If a film has a qualifying run of at least 7 straight days at a venue in L.A. County, New York, the Bay Area, Chicago, Miami, or other locations in Florida, which can include drive-ins, then the Academy Screening Room is optional.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
This thread seems to have gone into stasis a little bit. Quick thoughts on some semi-recent releases in no particular order:

No Time to Die - A very polarizing film for the Bond fanbase. I consider the Craig arc to be the strongest period in the Bond films. This one had some plot issues and a lot of fan service, but all told I enjoyed it and will re-watch as regularly as the other Craig films.

Cry Macho - there was a great film hidden somewhere in this, but Clint casting himself as a 60-something made it hard for me to suspend disbelief. There was a lot of good acting in this, but most of it wasn't from anyone named Eastwood. I love Clint and consider him a good filmmaker who has made a handful of great films, but this one...not a great swan song, if indeed it is his last. Incredible cinematography and some worthwhile subplots about the meaning of family kind of redeem it.

The Suicide Squad (ok, not that new...) - silly fun. John Cena simultaneously stole the movie and made it cringy as heck. I'm not sure how I feel about a Peacemaker spinoff

Those Who Wish Me Dead - so this is what a Bruce Willis or John Travolta movie would like look with Angelina Jolie in the lead.

Godzilla vs Kong - meh. Great CGI, but the "Pacific Rim meets Stranger Things" plotline is weak and predictable IMO.

Black Widow - Too much Red Guardian, but pretty entertaining anyway. I think this would have been a better film if it had been made and released where it falls in the MCU timeline rather than now. I'd love to see Yelena involved in the MCU going forward.

No Sudden Move - I loved this movie. It's got the usual plot and character depth I expect from Steven Soderbergh. Cheadle, del Toro, and Kieran Culkin are all incredibly believable in their roles and the story takes enough twists and turns to keep things interesting. Possibly the best film I've seen so far this year.

Gunpowder Milkshake - Tremendous fun. Kind of a contrived "Girls Club John Wick" but still a lot of fun, and absolutely gorgeous to look at. The set and production designs, along with the cinematography create a world where I could easily suspend my disbelief. My only gripe is that Karen Gillan doesn't always come across as the most athletic/fluid person but they covered a lot of that up with editing.

This thread seems to have gone into stasis a little bit. Quick thoughts on some semi-recent releases in no particular order:

No Time to Die - A very polarizing film for the Bond fanbase. I consider the Craig arc to be the strongest period in the Bond films. This one had some plot issues and a lot of fan service, but all told I enjoyed it and will re-watch as regularly as the other Craig films.

Cry Macho - there was a great film hidden somewhere in this, but Clint casting himself as a 60-something made it hard for me to suspend disbelief. There was a lot of good acting in this, but most of it wasn't from anyone named Eastwood. I love Clint and consider him a good filmmaker who has made a handful of great films, but this one...not a great swan song, if indeed it is his last. Incredible cinematography and some worthwhile subplots about the meaning of family kind of redeem it.

The Suicide Squad (ok, not that new...) - silly fun. John Cena simultaneously stole the movie and made it cringy as heck. I'm not sure how I feel about a Peacemaker spinoff

Those Who Wish Me Dead - so this is what a Bruce Willis or John Travolta movie would like look with Angelina Jolie in the lead.

Godzilla vs Kong - meh. Great CGI, but the "Pacific Rim meets Stranger Things" plotline is weak and predictable IMO.

Black Widow - Too much Red Guardian, but pretty entertaining anyway. I think this would have been a better film if it had been made and released where it falls in the MCU timeline rather than now. I'd love to see Yelena involved in the MCU going forward.

No Sudden Move - I loved this movie. It's got the usual plot and character depth I expect from Steven Soderbergh. Cheadle, del Toro, and Kieran Culkin are all incredibly believable in their roles and the story takes enough twists and turns to keep things interesting. Possibly the best film I've seen so far this year.

Gunpowder Milkshake - Tremendous fun. Kind of a contrived "Girls Club John Wick" but still a lot of fun, and absolutely gorgeous to look at. The set and production designs, along with the cinematography create a world where I could easily suspend my disbelief. My only gripe is that Karen Gillan doesn't always come across as the most athletic/fluid person but they covered a lot of that up with editing.
Your revival of this thread is appreciated!

I agree with your assessment of No Time to Die (and Craig). I wish I felt a chemistry with the lead romance arc.

Caught Shang-Chi a few weekends back and found it to be entertaining as well. NPR's Pop Culture Happy Hour described the final battle as somewhat reminiscent of a Pokemon battle.

Looking forward to seeing Dune (just re-read the novel) at some point in the near future, alongside Gunpowder Milkshake. It's shaping up to be a whirlwind of a fall/winter for releases.

Ended up enjoying Godzilla v. King Kong a lot more than I thought I would. The plot was pretty much what you'd expect (just try not to think too hard about anything) but the actions scenes were great. Unlike many modern action movies, they did a great job making sure you could actually see and understand what was happening.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky

I was hooked on 007 when I saw the first Bond movie on a Saturday matinee at my hometown movie theater.......Never thought I would like any Bond more than Sean Connery , but I have to admit my favorite is Daniel Craig and I was bummed out when he announced this will be his last Bond movie.....

He brings as much if not more suave and debonair charisma to the character than Connery.....it helps that there is less censorship now and the advancements in the movie industry as far as special effects and color quality help's a lot.....

JMHO

For those of you on here that have seen these films, how many of you have went and seen them in theaters?

I saw Black Widow, Suicide Squad, Shang Chi, and Venom: Let There Be Carnage (Thoughts on these films later). I saw all 4 of them in theaters and I really like the setup that AMC has. Paying for tickets and concessions is preferred to be cashless. And for the first 3 of those films, I was only in there with on average about 9 or 10 other people so it was really easy to space apart. And AMC requires you to only wear mask when not actively eating or drinking. For the Venom sequel, it was a bit more packed and I almost considered switching to the seats closer to the screen but decided against it.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
For those of you on here that have seen these films, how many of you have went and seen them in theaters?

I may never return to the theater. I have a 4k projector displaying on a 110" acoustically transparent screen with killer audio in my basement man cave. I may have to wait a few weeks / months, but the convenience factor is very high.

I may never return to the theater. I have a 4k projector displaying on a 110" acoustically transparent screen with killer audio in my basement man cave. I may have to wait a few weeks / months, but the convenience factor is very high.
I've found the theater to be a nice dose of familiarity in the few times I've went this fall. The crowds being contained is a major perk (even pre-pandemic I never liked being in a full theater). I think there were maybe 15 people at my 5:00pm showing on Saturday of opening weekend for No Time to Die.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
I'm at the same point even though my "home theatre" is pretty meager. Dealing with prices, people on their phones or talking through the movie, not to mention the big "C". The cinema experience as a whole is pretty unpleasant these days.

I've found the theater to be a nice dose of familiarity in the few times I've went this fall. The crowds being contained is a major perk (even pre-pandemic I never liked being in a full theater). I think there were maybe 15 people at my 5:00pm showing on Saturday of opening weekend for No Time to Die.

Yeah I've been a similar way pre-covid as well in terms of the time I go. I usually go to one of the late afternoon showings. Usually not as many people there. Only times pre-covid I can remember it packed at one of those times (and for good reason) were for Infinity War and Endgame.

Someone you wouldn't recognize by name but would recognize the songs he wrote during his career has passed away.

Leslie Bricusse has passed away at the age of 90.

Best known for writing music and lyrics for several films over the years. Wrote the lyrics to two Bond film songs, Goldfinger and You Only Live Twice. Wrote the Candyman and Pure Imagination songs from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Also wrote the two songs that were in the Hook film and also wrote the lyrics to Somewhere in My Memory that became the theme to Home Alone.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
I fell asleep watching the new Dune remake last night on HBO MAX........stylish but I guess I was either very sleepy or it wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be......

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
I fell asleep watching the new Dune remake last night on HBO MAX........stylish but I guess I was either very sleepy or it wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be......
I thought about watching it, but then decided to pop in the Criterion of "Memories of Murder." For anyone that enjoyed Parasite, this is an earlier film by the same director. There's some cultural humor that I probably didn't get, but damned if I'm not high on Korean film these days.