Bracketology

Status
Not open for further replies.

whovous

Washington, DC
I think a record of 8 and 10 would put us at 9 seed. Who would pass us?

SMH, you are right. I saw us losing the eight seed, and didn't even think about the nine. Indiana could pass by us by beating Purdue and OSU. Not likely. PSU could pass us by beating OSU and Iowa, which could be a little more likely.

I'd prefer to win out and not have to worry about the others;)

I'm not seeing this. I see us in 5 brackets, but I also see that the Bracket Matrix is only updated through yesterday. Did they update earlier this morning and then reverse the updates or something?

This is what I'm seeing now too (5 brackets). Not as good, but a lot of these don't update daily, so it's still a good sign.

Is our projected RPI with wins over MSU and Rutgers really only 50-51?

Deleted member 8213

D
Am I right that if we win out and Wildcats lose their last 2 to Mich and Purdue, then we'd be the 7 seed? That would be a great scenario for our tourney hopes I think. How could NW get in if we're out after we swept them and finished ahead in the standings? Plus we don't get Purdue if we win the 1st game in the BTT.

Am I right that if we win out and Wildcats lose their last 2 to Mich and Purdue, then we'd be the 7 seed? That would be a great scenario for our tourney hopes I think. How could NW get in if we're out after we swept them and finished ahead in the standings? Plus we don't get Purdue if we win the 1st game in the BTT.

Again, B1G standings are irrelevant.

Again, B1G standings are irrelevant.

Yep. Look no further than our 2012-13 season. We finished 8-10 in the B1G, Iowa finished 9-9 and beat us in our only matchup. We ended up as a 7 seed in the NCAA, Iowa was a 3 seed in the NIT. Only thing that matters is strength of your victories and losses. Conference standings don't mean anything, as should be the case, especially today with the unbalanced schedules.

Here are the scheduled games involving the four teams above and the eight teams below Illinois in the current Dance Card rankings, excluding the projected auto-bids. Bold indicates the favored team (per Bart Torvik; I'm too cheap for KenPom). Italic indicates the team we want to win (I'm not sure whether Northwestern losing is better or worse for us, but I'm erring on the side of rooting against them).

2/28
Vanderbilt at Kentucky
Georgetown at Seton Hall

3/1
Washington State at USC
Michigan at Northwestern
Rhode Island at Saint Joseph's
Marquette at Xavier
Tennessee at LSU
Louisville at Wake Forest

3/2
Houston at Cincinnati
California at Utah

3/3
Evansville/Indiana State vs. Illinois State

3/4
Washington at USC
Florida at Vanderbilt
Purdue at Northwestern
Seton Hall at Butler
Davidson at Rhode Island
California at Colorado
Georgia Tech at Syracuse
Creighton at Marquette
Alabama at Tennessee
Wake Forest at Virginia Tech

3/5
East Carolina at Houston

Last edited:
After watching MSU yesterday I don't see us beating them the way they are playing now, I hope I'm wrong

Don't let the Big Ten Network talking heads scare you. They love stroking Izzo.

Remember, they beat Nebraska by the same 16 points AT MSU.....on senior night.....that we did on the road.

We get them at home on OUR senior night.

Illini by 5

:chief:

Last edited:

Illini1221

Peru,IL
Lunardi has us no where on his radar, but has Tennessee in front of us, which is laughable. I'm guessing he is projecting us to lose to Michigan State.

Cheez

Sun Prairie WI
Don't let the Big Ten Network talking heads scare you. They love stroking Izzo.

Remember, they beat Nebraska by the same 16 points AT MSU.....on senior night.....that we did on the road.

We get them at home on OUR senior night.

Illini by 5

:chief:

The MSU / Nebraska game was not senior night. Yesterday's game against Wisconsin was.

Here are the scheduled games involving the four teams above and the eight teams below Illinois in the current Dance Card rankings, excluding the projected auto-bids. Bold indicates the favored team (per Bart Torvik; I'm too cheap for KenPom). Italic indicates the team we want to win (I'm not sure whether Northwestern losing is better or worse for us, but I'm erring on the side of rooting against them).

2/28
Vanderbilt at Kentucky
Georgetown at Seton Hall

3/1
Washington State at USC
Michigan at Northwestern
Rhode Island at Saint Joseph's
Marquette at Xavier
Tennessee at LSU
Louisville at Wake Forest

3/2
Houston at Cincinnati
California at Utah

3/3
Evansville/Indiana State vs. Illinois State

3/4
Washington at USC
Florida at Vanderbilt
Purdue at Northwestern
Seton Hall at Butler
Davidson at Rhode Island
California at Colorado
Georgia Tech at Syracuse
Creighton at Marquette
Alabama at Tennessee
Wake Forest at Virginia Tech

3/5
East Carolina at Houston

very nice !
thanks

Unless they move into the top 50, it wouldn't have any impact on our resume

Top 50 is a dirty way to count wins against tournament teams. If Winthrop and BYU qualify, it adds to the narrative that we played and won a tough schedule and beat 2 more tournament teams.

Except that we didn't beat both those teams.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. Look no further than our 2012-13 season. We finished 8-10 in the B1G, Iowa finished 9-9 and beat us in our only matchup. We ended up as a 7 seed in the NCAA, Iowa was a 3 seed in the NIT. Only thing that matters is strength of your victories and losses. Conference standings don't mean anything, as should be the case, especially today with the unbalanced schedules.
I am not up on how they do it all, but everything else being equal, I can't see how they could not take into account the fact we won head-to-head both times and finished at least in a tie with them overall. That, I would think, again everything else being equal, would be a tipping point in our favor.

I feel like we have to win out and we have to hope for NW to lose out. It sucks because the wins against them suddenly don't become quality wins anymore, but I want to avoid the 8-9 game at all costs. I think there is no way we can get past Purdue. Everybody else is beatable in my eyes. I also would rather play someone like tOSU rather than IU. IU just still seems dangerous to me. They were a top 4 pre-season pick for a reason.

whovous

Washington, DC
I am not up on how they do it all, but everything else being equal, I can't see how they could not take into account the fact we won head-to-head both times and finished at least in a tie with them overall. That, I would think, again everything else being equal, would be a tipping point in our favor.

If everything else was equal, you'd have a better point. Everything else is NEVER equal unless we play all the same teams in all the same venues with all the same results.

Had to chuckle at myself just a little bit.
Saw that the Bracket Matrix had updated for today and we went from being on 5 brackets to 10. Double ! Woo hoo.
Then I realized that a part of that was the expansion of their universe from 98 brackets to 113. Can't get too excited when 9% of those polled have us in.
More work to do.

Top 50 is a dirty way to count wins against tournament teams. If Winthrop and BYU qualify, it adds to the narrative that we played and won a tough schedule and beat 2 more tournament teams.

Except that we didn't beat both those teams.

First off our resume is pretty thin. MSU is a must win - they look legit right now. That said, the bubble is just awful.

Wake? they are terrible, they have 1 top 50 win, against Miami 6 weeks ago. After that you are looking at wins vs Pitt, Ga Tech and NC State. Those are like wins against Nebraska, who cares?

Cal? Sure they almost beat a few good teams. And they almost lsot their 2 "marquee" wins against USC (won by 1) and Utah (won by 2. In 2ot). You can keep Cuonzo Martin. My bad they also beat Princeton. And lost to Stanford. They suck.

TCU has lost 5 straight to ranked teams, their only decent wins are Iowa Sttae, K State (controversial) and Illinois State

Vanderbilt looks legit, won four in a row, wins against S Car, Ark, FLorida, IOwa State. Miznoz did blow them out by 20 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.