Brad Underwood Named Illini Basketball Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've watched some OK St games on YouTube and very much enjoy watching their offense. Tons of cutting and dribble handoffs. Not much standing around. I don't necessarily see a natural fit with a posting big man like Tilmon, but I haven't seen much of his game. I'm sure Underwood would have a carve out a clear role for him.

In the halfcourt Tilmon would have multiple opportunities to do what he does. He will be able to score on a pick/handoff and roll, probably 2-3 times per possession. If he's not hit on the roll, he will be told to immediately post, where the ball handler will be taught to look for him again. If he's not open on the roll post, the ball will be reversed one pass to a guy filling the slot. Tilmon will be taught to repost for a high-low look on a pass from the slot. If he's not open then the ball will be reversed and the continuity started again.

If he's on the perimeter for whatever reason, he would be a great second cutter because that guy gets a screen into a post up iso.

Others who have seen Tilmon play more can speak to his high post game better than me, but if he can face up at the elbow and hit an elbow j, or pump fake/jab/sikma step and score from there off one dribble, he will be very hard to guard in this offense. That's the only layer of his game I'm unsure of, I don't know how comfortable he is in the high post and putting the ball on the floor. But it's hard to double the elbow based on the spacing of the offense, so he's gonna have room to work if he's comfortable there.

FeelTheLovie

Louisville, KY
At least this guy admits that Illinois has tradition and is a good job. Some of his from the two places are similar which makes sense since OK st is a good job. While they are similar it seems that his quotes this year go a little farther. This year he has used the word elite and talked about winning a national championship. Also he has called this a destination job which as far as I can tell he didn't say that about OSU.

+1
Actually a fairly solid analysis by this guy

DReq

Always Illini
Central Illinois
The whole leaving during a contract cannot be called unethical or wrong when we post constantly in the recruiting threads that a coach cannot recruit without at least three years left on his contract. When was the last time a coach stayed at a college until the end of his contract unless he had announced his retirement? They can't stay until the end of a contract and still do their job. If you think a coach should not exercise the contractual right to buy out the remaining contract (the same way the employer can buy out his remaining contract and let him go) then you must consider him an indentured servant (although well-paid) who cannot leave until told to. That is absurd in any employment world.

The reason each party can buy out the other is because they can never allow the contract to get shorter than 2 or 3 years without impairing the work of the coach. UIUC bought out JG's contract and sent him away. BU negotiated a buy out of his contract at OSU and left. He has the same privilege here and UIUC also has the same privilege to end the contract with a buy out. It is quite fair, necessary, and in no way underhanded or wrong.

Just my two cents. Carry on.

Just my opinion here. I think Underwood made a big mistake on $$$ when he signed at OkState. Probably hit the boss wrong when he came looking for more so quickly. Underwood found a better place where it was easier to take the money than renegotiate his one year old deal.

Underwood does seem sincere when speaking of Illinois as a dream job. I'll take him at his word on that.

I'm excited to see the Huggins/Martin influence at work here. Their teams are tougher than what we've had lately. Go Illini!!!!!

Just my opinion here. I think Underwood made a big mistake on $$$ when he signed at OkState. Probably hit the boss wrong when he came looking for more so quickly. Underwood found a better place where it was easier to take the money than renegotiate his one year old deal.

Underwood has increased his stock, but there were a lot of question marks before he was hired at OSU (some still exist). He had been a lifetime assistant, did not get his first opportunity until almost 50, and SFA had some success even before Underwood. Yet, SFA is considered a low mid-major, not really at the higher end of mid-majors. OSU also struck out with bigger names before hiring Underwood, so his lower salary compared to average B12 was kind of expected.

Where OSU messed up was that they should have negotiated earlier and should not have been disrespectful in the negotiations (I am going based on public reports of the AD saying that Ford had won more). Those two points were big mistakes on OSU's part.

the national

the Front Range
No, see, actually we get ALL of this. We lived the Bill Self-Roy Williams-Bruce Weber carousel, which provided a lifetime quota of certain guys calling certain places "dream jobs" or "destinations" or "home."

You, on the other hand, waltzed in here feeling spurned because your first-year coach dropped Hank Iba's name a bunch of times.

I (and others) literally directly responded to the post you are quoting saying "It's about F'ng time we decided to treat this as the business it is." So yes, that's the point. Glad we're on the same page.

Matt, you are salty, honest and usually spot on.

Your post here is perfect, accurate, and exactly true.

Well Said.

Snips:

Illinois’ Brad Underwood On Scheduling Illinois State: ‘I’m Just About Open To Everything’.

Underwood, appearing on the Spiegel & Parkins Show with athletic director Josh Whitman on Tuesday, was asked directly if he would consider scheduling the Redbirds for the Fighting Illini. “I don’t know why we would run from anybody,” Underwood replied. “You’ll find out with me real quick, I’m not afraid of much. I dream big. To be the best, you got to beat the best. I don’t know who that is. We’ll play Duke, we’ll play good people. Sure, I’m just about open to everything.”

Perhaps a matchup between Illinois and Illinois State could come in an in-state marquee battle with several local schools, mirroring the state of Indiana’s Crossroads Classic. It’s something Whitman, a native of Indiana, would be open to.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/03...inois-state-im-just-about-open-to-everything/

My Comment: Game On. The Long-Awaited Battle of US Route 150. But add some other Indiana schools too to spice things up.

Captain Bubbles

Fairfield, IL
I honestly think the first year of Underwood will be a rebuilding mode somewhat due to the youth, yet the experience coming back can help, so I’m predicting 15-20 wins. Anything further than that is gravy.

I don’t see 25 wins in his first year, yet I’d be ecstatic if that were to occur. I think the highest number I will go is 22. I honestly think the second year should be better, perhaps we’ll see the magic number of 25 and make the tournament, but that’s no guarantee.

Illini_1979

Oregon
I honestly think the first year of Underwood will be a rebuilding mode somewhat due to the youth, yet the experience coming back can help, so I’m predicting 15-20 wins. Anything further than that is gravy.

I don’t see 25 wins in his first year, yet I’d be ecstatic if that were to occur. I think the highest number I will go is 22. I honestly think the second year should be better, perhaps we’ll see the magic number of 25 and make the tournament, but that’s no guarantee.
Agree. Hopefully, Bwood will be given time by the fans to turn things around. Luckily for him, the members of this board are always cool and never irrationally exuberant!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk

zpfled

Logan Square, Chicago
I honestly think the first year of Underwood will be a rebuilding mode somewhat due to the youth, yet the experience coming back can help, so I’m predicting 15-20 wins.

If the brand of basketball we see is fast-paced and entertaining, it will be a lot easier to be patient.

bredhartmann

Centralia, IL

If we don't make the tourney in year 2 with the roster we should have then Underwood will have been a massive failure.

Deleted member 8213

D
I've limited my posts in this thread because I understand how objectively appraising the specifics surrounding this hire taints the narrative some are pushing. There's a slimy sentiment (nothing illegal) to this hire that I had wished Illinois would always avoid.

A quick search on google produced this "dream come true" statement via his introductory press conference. Coach starts speaking at around the 1:20 mark. He utters the "dream come true" statement twice: first at around 1:40; next at around 1:50.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3kKu5E6SIw8

Pretty sure objectivity has nothing at all to do with your opinion on this subject Ethel. You have tried repeatedly to characterize it as "slimy" despite no support for the claim apart from the fact that Underwood praised both jobs profusely upon being hired. That is not slimy its what every coach does everyplace they are hired. Try reading Cuonzo Martin's comments last Monday in Columbia about how he plans to coach the Tigers for life... that must make him "slimy" too. Objective? No, your bias is quite evident.

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
I've limited my posts in this thread because I understand how objectively appraising the specifics surrounding this hire taints the narrative some are pushing. There's a slimy sentiment (nothing illegal) to this hire that I had wished Illinois would always avoid.

A quick search on google produced this "dream come true" statement via his introductory press conference. Coach starts speaking at around the 1:20 mark. He utters the "dream come true" statement twice: first at around 1:40; next at around 1:50.

I mean, if this is what moves the "slimy" needle for you, godspeed venturing out into the world every day. My goodness.

I'll say the same thing I found myself repeating after every Groce press conference when people bellyached about how he recycled phrases - what do you want him to say?

Illinois fans - of all people - should know full well why you don't want a coach to suddenly lose media discipline.

I didn't watch the video. I know coachspeak without having to watch it. Doesn't make it slimy. It's business. Underwood obviously wanted the Illinois job more than the OSU job. He spent a lot of time in Illinois. He knows a lot about the job and how good it can be. He tripled his salary. He is at a school where basketball is first, not football. OSU fans feel jilted. Understandable. But he made a career decision that he thinks is better for him and his family. OSU is likely going to hire someone from a different school who has undoubtably told those fans that he loves that school.

Bill Self told Illinois fans that he was "jacked" to be at Illinois and what a wonderful job it was. Then he left. To his credit, he still talks about what a wonderful job it is. It just wasn't Kansas. Underwood obviously thought OSU was a great job. It just wasn't Illinois.

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
It's perfectly understandable for OSU fans to feel betrayed and upset after Underwood left after a single season. As opposed to CEOs and business execs, coaches tap into fans' emotions. People get much more emotionally invested in teams than in companies, frequently even more than the companies they work for. I don't think the comparison of a CEO leaving is that useful when talking about coaches. And yes, Underwood had a legal clause allowing him to leave, and thus there is nothing "wrong" with him exercising it.

But I can imagine a coach saying, "This is a good opportunity, but I owe it to this school to stay because they were the ones who gave me this opportunity, and I signed an agreement. I have the OPTION to leave, but it wouldn't sit right with me." Then again, if there is an offer that is too good to pass up, then he also owes it to himself and his family to take it.

People have every right to be upset, and they can be disappointed in Underwood (from the OSU side). But we should all recognize that sometimes in life your plans change due to circumstances, and you can't apologize or turn down opportunities just because the timing isn't what you might have expected or preferred, or because someone will be upset.

As my therapist says, "All feelings are valid." It seems silly to argue that someone should or shouldn't feel the way they do.

CrazedUIFan

UI Fan in QC Land
In Underwood's defense, I'm sure at the time becoming the head coach in a P5 conference would be a dream job. He has shown what he can do and wasn't rewarded for it. Illinois comes along and courts him. As many have mentioned, this is a basketball school with great facilities, a huge recruiting opportunity in the state, a big salary increase, and an AD who has shown he is willing to do all he can to position his teams to succeed. Until another opportunity comes along that is better, this is the dream job.

Maybe it would be slimy if he violated his contract. He did not. As has been stated by others multiple times, he (like every other coach in America) did not have a non compete clause. OSU already was, or will be paid $3M, which satisfies the terms of his contract.

If you need to feel better for OSU, look at it this way. OSU is a net positive of $2M off Brad Underwood's contract. $3M for the buyout minus $1M for his salary last year. They invested $1M and got back $2M. They are in a better situation financially now because of U of I and Brad Underwood.

Also, let's be real. Their AD effed up. Everyone knows it. Let's assign the blame on OSU's side where its due.

Bill Self told Illinois fans that he was "jacked" to be at Illinois and what a wonderful job it was. Then he left. To his credit, he still talks about what a wonderful job it is. It just wasn't Kansas. Underwood obviously thought OSU was a great job. It just wasn't Illinois.

What I was most upset about when Self left was the critical time it happened. It's like a doctor who has just about saved the patient and then he says, "Oh, sorry. I've got to tend to another patient that I like better right now" and he leaves the patient in the operating room. The Illini program was on the cusp of making the step up to join the regular Blue Bloods at that time and the Self departure put things back all this time until now. Instead of saving the Illini at a critical time, his decision put the Illini back into critical condition. I believe our brilliant AD is well aware of this feeling and will do all he can to make sure that the patient not only survives, but prospers this time.

The Illini program was on the cusp of making the step up to join the regular Blue Bloods at that time

Semi-permanently? No it wasn't. Temporarily? It happened anyway, perhaps better than if Self had been here.

We'd have been a regular Big Ten contender and comfortable NCAA tournament team had Self stayed, clearly. But let's not act like you can just copy and paste what Self has done at KU into an Illinois context. Self left in part because you can do more there, and you can and he has.

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
What I was most upset about when Self left was the critical time it happened. It's like a doctor who has just about saved the patient and then he says, "Oh, sorry. I've got to tend to another patient that I like better right now" and he leaves the patient in the operating room. The Illini program was on the cusp of making the step up to join the regular Blue Bloods at that time and the Self departure put things back all this time until now. Instead of saving the Illini at a critical time, his decision put the Illini back into critical condition. I believe our brilliant AD is well aware of this feeling and will do all he can to make sure that the patient not only survives, but prospers this time.

Self didn't put the Illini back into critical condition. That fault falls more on Guenther's and Thomas' shoulders. Guenther was done being burned by coaches leaving with Lon and Self, so he went with the safe hire in Weber.

Thomas is Thomas. He sucks...

If we don't make the tourney in year 2 with the roster we should have then Underwood will have been a massive failure.

Don't think that will happen. But if it should, the Undervalued Illini program will be left with Underlying issues leaving it Underneath the Blue Bloods leaving the Understanding Illinois fans thoroughly Underwhelmed. OK, I'll make it stop now.

Semi-permanently? No it wasn't. Temporarily? It happened anyway, perhaps better than if Self had been here.

We'd have been a regular Big Ten contender and comfortable NCAA tournament team had Self stayed, clearly. But let's not act like you can just copy and paste what Self has done at KU into an Illinois context. Self left in part because you can do more there, and you can and he has.

I get what you're saying. But my thesis is that the Illini would probably have been Top16 material for years after 2005 and would have continued to build on that. I just don't see how he would have let the program slide like it did. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Just observing opinions on thread and cannot help voicing mine . Despite all the people putting down JG I believe he was a good guy who worked his a-- off. I suspect BU is not as nice a guy. We don't need a nice guy who works his butt off. We need someone tough enough to deal discipline into young men who have great talent. Much info on this thread implies JG wasn't smart enough. I think he knew what to do but didn't enforce it with his players. Ergo we we had great games but inconsistent performance. Also believe players that didn't develop didn't put in the effort. That can be considered a coaching failure but believe those players will be gone under BU. Am a great fan of Geno A and follow UConn women's BB. He installs a discipline that may be impossible in men's BB but is an absolute pleasure to watch in his teams. With him it is his way or the highway. Tough to do with five stars but necessary for long term success.

Status
Not open for further replies.