Brad Underwood Named Illini Basketball Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

afpharmdawg

Colorado Springs
To all the OSU fans: I don't know of anyone who would not take triple pay raise to do the same job in a different area. Also, as others have said BU's previous boss did not respect our coach enough to renegotiate a decent contract as promised. I think JW is a better boss too and if I was in the same situation, would do as BU did.

To all the OSU fans: I don't know of anyone who would not take triple pay raise to do the same job in a different area. Also, as others have said BU's previous boss did not respect our coach enough to renegotiate a decent contract as promised. I think JW is a better boss too and if I was in the same situation, would do as BU did.

http://newsok.com/mike-holder-deserves-criticism-just-not-all-of-it/article/5542790

Underwood was offered $2.2MM by OSU AD Holder. He didn't triple his salary to come to Illinois. A 36% increase, however, is also quite substantial.

Snips:

Illinois’ Brad Underwood On Scheduling Illinois State: ‘I’m Just About Open To Everything’.

Underwood, appearing on the Spiegel & Parkins Show with athletic director Josh Whitman on Tuesday, was asked directly if he would consider scheduling the Redbirds for the Fighting Illini. “I don’t know why we would run from anybody,” Underwood replied. “You’ll find out with me real quick, I’m not afraid of much. I dream big. To be the best, you got to beat the best. I don’t know who that is. We’ll play Duke, we’ll play good people. Sure, I’m just about open to everything.”

Perhaps a matchup between Illinois and Illinois State could come in an in-state marquee battle with several local schools, mirroring the state of Indiana’s Crossroads Classic. It’s something Whitman, a native of Indiana, would be open to.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/03...inois-state-im-just-about-open-to-everything/

My Comment: Game On. The Long-Awaited Battle of US Route 150. But add some other Indiana schools too to spice things up.

We used to play the state schools a lot in the Illini Classic. It was a dud. Illinois fans didn't care. Why play a bunch of mid and low majors from the state? They will not help our rpi.

If we schedule ISU, it should only be in Champaign, IMO.

We used to play the state schools a lot in the Illini Classic. It was a dud. Illinois fans didn't care. Why play a bunch of mid and low majors from the state? They will not help our rpi.

If we schedule ISU, it should only be in Champaign, IMO.

Muller's tweet left out the fact he's really only offering to play anyone if he can get a home-and-home deal.

afpharmdawg

Colorado Springs
http://newsok.com/mike-holder-deserves-criticism-just-not-all-of-it/article/5542790

Underwood was offered $2.2MM by OSU AD Holder. He didn't triple his salary to come to Illinois. A 36% increase, however, is also quite substantial.

Thank you for the clarification. I did not know what was offered just what he was paid this year.:chief:

I just read the article. I am not saying anyone is lying this is the first I have heard of BU's offer from OSU. If the article is correct on the amount then I would guess Holder is not a nice person. Of course, I am just guessing.

Last edited:

Gunner23

Panama City, Florida
He's not going to get fed down low like he would under Groce (and might under Cuonzo) though. No point in pretending otherwise.

That's true, and it might end up being valuable in college. However, if JT's goal is the NBA, he doesn't seem like the feed down low type of big that will be dominant in the league. BU's offense would allow JT to develop the skills that so many other 6'10"+ players now possess in the NBA. One selling point of this offense isn't about now (college), it's about how JT develops for the NBA. Myers shoots quite a few threes and doesn't post up that much in the league. Okafor was pretty dominant in the NCAA, not so much in the NBA. It will be fun to see what happens in the future. Hopefully that future is with :chief:.

Gunner23

Panama City, Florida
Semi-permanently? No it wasn't. Temporarily? It happened anyway, perhaps better than if Self had been here.

We'd have been a regular Big Ten contender and comfortable NCAA tournament team had Self stayed, clearly. But let's not act like you can just copy and paste what Self has done at KU into an Illinois context. Self left in part because you can do more there, and you can and he has.

How would Self staying at Illinois have any chance of ending up as bad as after Self left? I don't care what he has done at KU. Our program wouldn't be where it is now if he would have stayed.

I just love this picture of Brad and Self and Huggy creepin in the background. Just a classic.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-25 at 11.05.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-25 at 11.05.15 PM.png
    437.3 KB · Views: 1,320

BZuppke

Plainfield
I've not watched any of Underwood's teams play but all I hear is how they score and score. Might he resurrect a style of play from a glorious part of Illini basketball history? Of Harry Combes, Tate wrote:

"He adapted to a free-wheeling style immediately at Champaign High, running opponents ragged with a ball-stealing, full-court press. And decades later, in a single season (1965) at Illinois, his team topped 100 points nine times."

I've not watched any of Underwood's teams play but all I hear is how they score and score. Might he resurrect a style of play from a glorious part of Illini basketball history? Of Harry Combes, Tate wrote:

"He adapted to a free-wheeling style immediately at Champaign High, running opponents ragged with a ball-stealing, full-court press. And decades later, in a single season (1965) at Illinois, his team topped 100 points nine times."

Underwood does wanna pick up with some full court man pressure. It won't be Shaka or Huggy style, more like good solid full court man. He wants to use that to generate some turnovers to score quick.

He also wants to score off rebounds and makes within the the first 7 seconds when the defense is weakest. However, if we don't score in the first 7, he wants to make the defense work hard in half court for final 20-23 seconds. It won't be quick shots for the sake of quick shots, but it will be damn good offense.

Combes won a conference championship in 1962-63 with this style, ranked #5 in the nation by the coaches, averaged 85.4 ppg.

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Here are some sets and counters of Underwood's offense. There is also some video of the continuity. You can see how the counters work off the continuity and other counters if you watch them all.

Basic counters from the natural flow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0evymRbGRgA

More complicated sets that break the flow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXVb0j_4aVU

Love the spacing this offense provides. Lot's of open lanes to take it to the basket. Also enough off ball screen action to give someone like JCL open looks.

sacraig

The desert
Here are some sets and counters of Underwood's offense. There is also some video of the continuity. You can see how the counters work off the continuity and other counters if you watch them all.

Basic counters from the natural flow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0evymRbGRgA

More complicated sets that break the flow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXVb0j_4aVU

Now imagine if SFA had been able to recruit better shooters and athletes to actually capitalize on all those open looks.

I just love watching those videos because I see multiple people moving at the same time. I've watched the Illini stand around and watch one man dribble for so long now. Watching people move within a system . . . how refreshing. Here's hoping that this means that we will have an identity as soon as the players grasp this.

Love the spacing this offense provides. Lot's of open lanes to take it to the basket. Also enough off ball screen action to give someone like JCL open looks.

What impressed me in the videos I watched was the level of talent didn't look like anything special, but the movement and intelligence looked very solid. I love offenses that probe the defense and make them pay. Never hurts to have guys who are mis-matches, but I do love me some smart bball.

These offensive sets look so much better than the iso hell we've been living in the past several seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.