Brad Underwood Named Illini Basketball Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJ33

San Francisco
Hope Josh is also prepared to up the salaries for the assistants. A big pool there will help as well. I guess we'll here more about this on Monday.

I read a quote from Underwood..."the chance to coach the fighting illini is a once in a life time opportunity" I agree. I love him already:)

Underwood?

latest

I read a quote from Underwood..."the chance to coach the fighting illini is a once in a life time opportunity" I agree. I love him already:)

As The Shaman said once before (quoting Wayne Dyer): "When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at CHANGE". This coaching hire is going to change the way a lot of people around the USA view Illinois and it's State U teams. Blue Bloods, move over and make room.

Illini_1979

Oregon
Great hire! Oh Boy, this going to be great! (Flounder from Animal House...)

This is also going to contribute to some interesting musical chairs, California is open, Indiana is open, OSU is open...

Glad we sat down early!

[YOUTUBE]arZdeg_fL-I[/YOUTUBE]

I'm really excited to see how Lucas and Frazier progress with Underwood. They both seem like perfect fits.

OSU got so many points against Michigan from offensive rebounds. Mainly because their guards constantly attacked the rim, forcing Michigan's big man to slide over.

OSU got so many points against Michigan from offensive rebounds. Mainly because their guards constantly attacked the rim, forcing Michigan's big man to slide over.

That backside pick and roll is no joke. Also because the "big" in this offense starts at the free throw line the defensive big man is out of his comfort zone from the jump.

Buck Turgidson

Massachusetts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHp4_K0KdmM

A boring breakdown of a beautiful offense. Excited to see an offense that spreads the court and uses cutters.

I watch a fair amount of UConn Womens basketball, and I see a lot of similarities in the offensive style - ball moves quickly, aggressive passes deep into the post to cutters, extra passes to find open 3s, not a lot of dribbling and looking around. The style is fun to watch and effective - lots of 3s and layups, minimize contested 2s. Looking forward to seeing this with our Illini

Maybe I'll attend our 100th consecutive win, too.

:illinois:

JJB

Chicago, IL
"In searching for a new coach, we were looking for a proven winner who would build upon our proud tradition while developing an unmistakable identity for Illinois basketball," Whitman said in a statement. "Brad's teams play a fast, aggressive style and show unyielding toughness. They have a tremendous energy that I believe will ignite the Orange Krush and our fans to once again make State Farm Center one of the most intimidating venues in all of college basketball."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...d-illinois-coach-spt-0319-20170318-story.html

Thing I love about this hire is that Whitman directly addressed the thing I've been unhappy about regarding the program: What's our identity? There are so many good coaches and solid teams in the Big Ten, so what are you going to hang your hat on to be successful?

He mentioned his time at Western and how all his kids were born in Illinois. I think he's been eyeing the Illinois job for a while.

Certainly matches what Whitman was saying in his presser when he fired Groce, wanting a guy that understood what the program was about and where it's supposed to be.

My OKState friends are not very happy about this. In fact, they said they could understand if they lost him to KSU, but i think they are livid that they lost him to Illinois, of all places.

My OKState friends are not very happy about this. In fact, they said they could understand if they lost him to KSU, but i think they are livid that they lost him to Illinois, of all places.

Even though KSU is a clear "step-down" from UI?:confused: I mean, the Weber firing/hiring provides direct proof of that.

Underwood's defense

I think Underwood has an exciting offensively philosophy and everyone (on this board) speaks of Xs and Os from an offensive standpoint but OSU was 305th in terms of opponents ppg. Yes some of that could be a function of playing a faster offensive style, however that's gotta be cleaned up. We struggled last year because we couldn't defend as a team until middle of February. If we had just defended better, we had enough offensive firepower to be a tourney team.

Not complaining, but wow, that came completely out of nowhere!

Did anyone on this board even mention Underwood's name -- even in a pie-in-the-sky sort of way?

I don't think I'll bother with this blog any more, since obviously none of you have any idea what's going on with Illinois basketball.

(just kidding)

Status
Not open for further replies.