Brad Underwood Named Illini Basketball Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
hate to say it, but dude rode a very good point guard. Our last coach rode a very good point guard at ohio. He needs to show he can recruit, I do think he has good X and Os based on what ppl said here.

Illini_1979

Oregon
I know this isn't the place to post this but Isaiah Martinez is wrestling for his 3rd consecutive national championship on ESPN right now.

I would expect that all the players are cautiously optimistic. There's a lot of change (a lot for the better), but change nonetheless.

Looking at some videos, there won't be any standing around

UofIChE06

Pittsburgh
It is kind of in BU's MO to keep Walker. He brought in a local recruiter when taking over the OSU gig. He can bring his known staff and replace the guy he has had on staff for 1 yr with Walker in a similar role. Looks like a good fit/match.

Anyone know if Tracy Webster is following CM to Mizzou? He would be a nice addition for recruiting purposes if BU is looking for a second ace

FinalFour88

Charlotte, NC
I know we'd all love to have a new head coach who was a both a proven recruiter and a great Xs and Os coach. But I'd rather have a good Xs and Os coach who's an unproven recruiter than a great recruiter with a reputation as a crappy coach. (Ask NC State how that ended with Gottfried.) Before I didn't think keeping Walker was all that important, but now I think it is. It would be great if Underwood could have a good first season at Illinois to set a tone of turning the program around right away.

hate to say it, but dude rode a very good point guard. Our last coach rode a very good point guard at ohio. He needs to show he can recruit, I do think he has good X and Os based on what ppl said here.

This year he did. But he won at SFA without that. He can coach. Also his defense did get better all 3 years at SFA. You don't spend that many years coaching under Frank Martin and not learn something about defense.

He just needs to be very smart with the assistants he chooses. While not the recruiting guy in the Huggins/Martin teams he has always been around very good recruiters and brought some in with him at Oklahoma St. There is no chance that he doesn't know what works on recruiting scene after being around Huggins and Martin

I must say that JW did a great job with this hire. In some ways it is more impressive than the Lovie hire. With Lovie he had an inside connection with an unemployed coach. This time he was able to quietly hire away a coach after just 1 year at another P5 school. This is a coach you led his team to the tournament and finished second in coach of the year voting in the Big 12. This was incredible!

GortTheRobot

North Bethesda, Maryland

I think TJL and (hopefully) Frazier give him something to work with.

That same point guard was on the 12-20 team the year before Underwood got there. Still gotta know what to do with talent when you have it.

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
hate to say it, but dude rode a very good point guard.

1380727631588.gif

haasi

New York

You're right, that is bunk

ILL in IA

Iowa City
I know we have boosters that do a lot, but something enjoyable about reading a poster for them saying " call up Pickens and have him fix this " that makes me smile. T Boon can't fix this one sweet heart.

Hope we are paying Josh well:hail:

On OSU board:
I say we raise the money to hire Illinois' AD and pay him a million more than he's making now, so that we can have an AD that's worth a damn.

:illinois::chief::illinois:

haasi

New York
Btw I loved watching Walkup at SFA. That guy was balls out awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the national

the Front Range
Hope we are paying Josh well:hail:

On OSU board:
I say we raise the money to hire Illinois' AD and pay him a million more than he's making now, so that we can have an AD that's worth a damn.

:illinois::chief::illinois:

LOL.

=GOLD :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.