Brad Underwood Named Illini Basketball Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
that would apply to every coach in the business..................

Going from one "dream job" in a major conference to another, after only one season, where as the new "dream job" isn't his alma mater? Come on, man. That does not apply to every coach in the country. This does not happen often.

I really like the hire, but it would be foolish not to be worried about coach's level of commitment. It's kinda like stealing a chick from some guy, then being shocked when she leaves you for someone else.

It has been mentioned that an up tempo style of play doesn't translate in the BIG10, I do get it, but I want a fun team to watch, besides I think more recruits will look at us because of this style of play. And it will happen in the BIG10, again. See Flying Illini 89. Lets go back to that! Or 2005 team. The shot clock will be coming down to 25 seconds, so this forces the tempo faster. We have the coach to play that style and win.

Yeah. Analysts say Underwood should be very good at U of I. Dude must be completely wrong.

The Guy can coach

an Illni now Living in Tulsa, I have had the opportunity to see Mr Underwood coach several times at OK state. They Guy can coach ! He only had been here for a year but you could tell his players loved playing for him and his type of BBall. FAST AND FURIOUS. Great Pickup by Josh..:thumb:

EJ33

San Francisco
From Tupper:

New #Illini head basketball coach Brad Underwood briefly met with the team Sunday. "We'll play hard. We'll have fun," he told them.

I like it.

Please, please, please no slogans.

Not really. The very first character of the article is bad. You should never start a sentence with a number in digit form. The second sentence uses "nor" without using "neither" which is another mistake. After that I stopped reading...

You're right no wonder he writes for a little website. I had never heard of College Court Report

Not really. The very first character of the article is bad. You should never start a sentence with a number in digit form. The second sentence uses "nor" without using "neither" which is another mistake. After that I stopped reading...

But how was the "punction"?

618 Illini

Chicago
Was a little sad about the hire at first when comparing Underwood to the rumors of Sean/Archie Miller, Bennett etc.

After reading up on the guy I think hes the exact hire we needed. The basketball program hasn't been entertaining or exciting the past 5+ years. Bringing in a guy that runs up tempo and has an identity is exactly what we need to put fans in the stadium.

Whitman is an absolute stud! We are lucky to have a guy with a great vision leading our sports programs.

JJB

Chicago, IL
Interesting article on how Underwood dealt with OSU's 0-6 start in Big 12 play, especially the tidbits on his in-season adjustment and analytics philosophies.

How Brad Underwood, a sleepless night and a defensive tweak engineered Oklahoma State's turnaround

On a Wednesday night in mid-January, inside the spacious locker room at Gallagher-Iba Arena, Brad Underwood came to his first major realization as Oklahoma State head coach. He came to it after what might have been the Cowboys’ best offensive half of the season, a 54-point eruption against Kansas State. But it was a realization that, a little more than two months into his first season in charge in Stillwater, Underwood and his team had to change.

I really like the hire, but it would be foolish not to be worried about coach's level of commitment. It's kinda like stealing a chick from some guy, then being shocked when she leaves you for someone else.

We know that top coaches are going to get their money and as much influence over things as they can get. And we know that programs will always try to poach desirable coaches from each other as much as they can. That's why the AD that hires the coach has to gauge how much that coach is committed to some bigger, something beyond themselves. The kind of things one can be commitment to is a place (City or State), or a belief system of the institution, or wanting to elevate a program beyond what it has been, or something else. If you can judge these things on the small sample size of what our new coach has said, the Illini should be sitting in a pretty good place right now. He seems to be committed to the State of Illinois. Yes, nothing is forever. But forever is overrated anyway.

The people who do not like this hire are the same people who think Hickory River is better BBQ than Blackdog

giphy.gif

ILLINI IN NE

Omaha,Ne.
Watching the sCUM game, and they are on a roll right now...it makes me feel even better about our hire. BU almost took that game from, arguably, one of the hottest teams in the country.

If OSU beats Michigan then there is not a Brad Underwood thread.

Good thing Michigan got hot at the right time.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
I must admit, I didn't know anything about BU prior to yesterday. After reading up on him, I am very happy. I have never seen this much national support for an Illini hire, not even Lovie.

illinifan87

The Windy City

This came down to OK State's AD not honoring a commitment when Underwood signed the original contract. Underwood was guaranteed a raise, if he won, and when he approached the AD, negotiations either didn't happen or didn't happen to the level Underwood wanted.

I'd be lying if I said I believed all these high level coaches were loyal and had integrity, but I understood where Underwood was coming from.

He honored his end of the bargain by winning. The AD, from the sounds of it, didn't honor his.

Treat your coaches well, pay them fairly and do your best to keep them and I think you'll find more often than not, at P5 programs, they'll return the favor.

Not worried at all about Underwood leaving in a year.

Deleted member 11159

D
I'm cautiously optimistic but will wait to see results. I seem to recall a similar level of exuberance and jubilation when Groce was hired and we all saw how that movie turned out.

Ubermensch

BOOM! Feed my ego.
If OSU beats Michigan then there is not a Brad Underwood thread.

Good thing Michigan got hot at the right time.

Michigan got us John Groce by losing to him at Ohio. They felt bad so they put in the final nail in the B1G Tournament and made sure to beat the guy we'd hire to replace him.

It may be just me, but I always thought Brad Underwood looks like a slighter older version of Greg McDermott.

Status
Not open for further replies.