Bruce Pearl out at Tennessee -- Committed violations in March 2011

North Carolina
This story gets more slimy. Pearl should be fired. However, IU didn't fire Sampson. They waited for the NCAA to act. One thing is for sure--Pearl will get sacrificed on the altar of self-interest the second UT thinks they may get hurt financially. It's all cost-benefit analysis--forget integrity. Flagship university--what a joke.

It took some time (20 years!) but everyone is finally seeing what Illinois knew all along. Tennessee need to fire him to save any face now. If it ends here, NCAA will lose a lot of credibility. pearl needs to go.

This story gets more slimy. Pearl should be fired. However, IU didn't fire Sampson. They waited for the NCAA to act. One thing is for sure--Pearl will get sacrificed on the altar of self-interest the second UT thinks they may get hurt financially. It's all cost-benefit analysis--forget integrity. Flagship university--what a joke.
If memory serves me correct, IU waited for the NCAA with their findings. This way, they had an out of his contract. I wonder if Tennessee has anything similiar with Satan.

If memory serves me correct, IU waited for the NCAA with their findings. This way, they had an out of his contract. I wonder if Tennessee has anything similiar with Satan.
The difference is IIRC, IU probably wanted Sampson gone at that point so wanted a reason to launch him. It doesn't seem lke UT is at that stage yet.

The camera never lies
Champaign
I think most schools saw what happened to Ohio State when the fired O"Brien before the NCAA came back with their findings, he still would have been fired, but because of the wording in his contract they acted to soon, and ended up paying him a couple million I believe. The O'Brien story is out there I'm sure, so I think schools wait now to CYA just in case.

The rat Pearl coaching for a team that wears county jail orange is just so fitting. This has been a long wait and I an just THRILLED at this whole mess. I expect it to get worse for him so will wait and let the NCAA work its way thru it and let him worry about it and the end result which should be looking for a new job.

Not my recollection. They SAID they would wait, but when they saw the writing on the wall, they got him out of there.

I'll be surprised (mildly, but surprised) if he withstands this mess. The NCAA doesn't take kindly to anyone lying to them, and will have it out for this guy. OTOH, Tenn has lifted its program and may not be willing to drop him without the NCAA first sending them a message. Time will tell.

The rat Pearl coaching for a team that wears county jail orange is just so fitting. This has been a long wait and I an just THRILLED at this whole mess. I expect it to get worse for him so will wait and let the NCAA work its way thru it and let him worry about it and the end result which should be looking for a new job.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I agree with Brennan's blog. However, my schadenfreude is disrupted because Illinois will continue to be dragged through the mud with every article. The "story" people like to tell is the irony (to use Pat Forde's words) of Pearl turning in Illinois for alleged cheating only to be put on the hot seat himself. Or the alternative, stories like the one written by Dana O'Neill who cite Pearl's mantra "do the right thing" and even he can't escape the unseemly mess that is college basketball. We can't spend all of our time trying to refute these stories - most of us have full time jobs ;) More importantly, no one is listening - because they hate when facts interfere with the "story." I hope Pearl goes away. For good this time.

http://www.illinihq.com/news/mens_basketball/2010/09/14/tate_weber_mining_for_recruiting_gold

Attorney Bob Auler, as an appendage to the Bruce Pearl flareup, reminds that he sued Renaldo Kyles for defamation after Kyles claimed that, in addition to paying Deon Thomas, the Illini made illegal gifts to center Ervin Small. Kyles, who hung out with Thomas at Chicago Simeon, recanted under oath and, in a reversal, disclosed the deal Pearl made with Kyles to get him into the University of Iowa ... team manager, shoes, etc., all contingent on Thomas becoming a Hawkeye.

Kyles also revealed something Illini coaches already knew, that Pearl provided illegal gifts (meals, T-shirts, etc.) to Thomas and Simeon players when they were in Amsterdam. But the NCAA would not bring charges against Pearl and Iowa, presumably because of his close relationship with enforcement officer Rich Hilliard (they attended Boston College together) and the fact that Pearl was their informant.

College Station TX
This article sounds like a make-up piece for that poorly written one by Dana O'Niell who neglected to say that Collins was innocent.
My thoughts exactly, she has a history of terrible and poorly researched columns. At least this guy claims to be from Chicago and has knowledge of the situation.

I have met and played ball with Deon on numerous occassions. My buddies lived with him our freshman year. He NEVER received or was offered ANYTHING from UI and did receive small gifts from Iowa. Nothing overly substantial.

That's a FACT. Straight from his mouth.

Btw, we WALKED to our pick up games and bummed rides out and about. But those FACTS don't sell publications.

Football and basketball sanctions at same time? Sounds like four words to me:
Lack of Institutional Control
Bazinga. That's why UT moved so quickly. It still may not be enough but we can still hope.

In my wildest dreams, having the DickRod's Evil Empire and Brucie "The Wiretapper" Pearl facing sanctions at the same time is like some sort of Monte Cristoan revenge...if only Kelvin Sampson had gotten tagged later, we'd have the NCAA version of Danglars, Villefors and Mondego.

I was at that UW-Milwaukee v. Illinois game at the Rosemont Horizon in 2005. It was probably the closest I'll ever witness a faithful recreation of what it was like to see what happened in the Roman Coliseum. The scorn and disdain when Pearl was introduced was priceless.

Pearl isn't sorry that he lied to the NCAA. He's just sorry that he got caught. At 50 years old, he's just now learning that he should tell the truth? I usually don't get into name calling, but Pearl is a world class SCUMBAG.

Pearl isn't sorry that he lied to the NCAA. He's just sorry that he got caught. At 50 years old, he's just now learning that he should tell the truth? I usually don't get into name calling, but Pearl is a world class SCUMBAG.
+10 !!

That is a fact.

I heard some guy on ESPN radio this morning wondering how guys like Pearl and Pitino got to keep their jobs and how Pearl in particular is being seen as a sympathetic figure in some circles. What other business could guys do what they did and not only keep their jobs, but in Pitino's case, continue to thrive in recruiting. The guy asked the same question I did about whey anyone would let their kid go play for a known cheater (marital in Pitino's case)? Surely I could find another school that my son could attend where the coach wasn't a scumbag.

As for Pearl, clearly UT is trying to be proactive while the NCAA is still looking at both programs. They didn't throw him under the bus, but they did try to show they were being tough. The recruiting ban is a real penalty, but the salary thing is a non-issue in my mind. The guy is still making over a $1M a year, so it's not like he'll have to move out of his house. maybe it will impact his assistants, but I don't have any sympathy for them given who they chose to work for.
He's amking over $2 mil/year, so that $ penalty is meaningless, but the NCAA hasn't been heard from yet.

He's amking over $2 mil/year, so that $ penalty is meaningless, but the NCAA hasn't been heard from yet.
I don't think the NCAA will take the loss in salary to mean too much. I think UT out thought themselves when they came up with these self imposed sancations and thought they could be sneaky and save money while still looking tough, the NCAA isn't going to see it that way.

I hope the stars have alligned and the NCAA goes HARD on Pearl, Look what happened to Dez Bryant after he lied once - Pearl is on his second. The NCAA would do anything to not have to tough their storied programs of Duke, UNC, Kentucky and Kansas, luckily for use Bruce doesn't coach at any of those schools and I truly feel the NCAA might make an example of Bruce and Tennessee. You can get away with minor violations but you CAN'T lie about them - The NCAA has made that clear in the past.

By the way I tried to find a pdf of his contract to see if he has a Scamson or Calipari Clause in it, wasn't able to find one tho.

Summary of the lying and cheating: Bruce Pearl denied to the NCAA he illegally hosted high school juniors, all the while the NCAA had a photo proving the violations occurred.

Article-

@GaryParrishCBS UT's Bruce Pearl misled the NCAA about illegally hosting recruits at his home, sources have told CBSSports.com.

Sources: Ex-recruit Craft at center of Tennessee NCAA probe

Sources told CBSSports.com that Craft -- along with fellow Class of 2010 prospect Josh Selby, who also was committed to Tennessee at the time, and perhaps another recruit -- visited Pearl's home during an unofficial visit to Tennessee later that same year, which is a violation of NCAA rules because high school juniors aren't allowed to engage college coaches away from campus. Pearl denied that Craft and Selby ever had been to his home when NCAA assistant director of enforcement Kristen Matha initially asked. The problem with that approach was that the NCAA, according to sources, already had in its possession a picture of Pearl and Craft that was snapped inside Pearl's home, which led to the line of questioning in the first place. It's unclear who took the picture or how the NCAA obtained it.

Gary Parrish

Last edited: