Bruce Weber at Kansas State - Chester Frazier hired as assistant at KSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Illini Basketball Fan Forever
Bay Area, CA
The irony of Bruce Weber's campaign against Mike Thomas, if his story is to be believed (it's not but let's play along)- Bruce is trumpeting the fact that's he's a loser.

So Bruce is saying that the big bad boss was on a mission to get rid of BW. The only way that Bruce could have kept his job was for his team to rally around him and win a few games in the NCAA Tournament (or make it to the Final Four, or win the championship, whatever).

That's what you call a perfect setup to a Disney sports movie.

In the movie, the team rallies around their coach/situation/etc, achieves some measure of glory, the coach's job is saved, custard for everyone, and the big bad boss falls into a pit of tar.

So what happened in real life with Bruce Weber? Did the team pull it together to make a run in the tourney?

No. The team fell apart, cried a lot (both on and off the court), tailspinned into the greatest collapse in Illinois basketball history, and didn't even make the NIT. The big bad boss did what had to be done for the program, and Bruce continued to cry about MT after receiving a $3.9M golden Guenther buyout.

Bruce's rhetoric on his downfall at Illinois is becoming more and more extreme. Obviously, it's in his best interests to discontinue the "I'm mad at Mike Thomas" talking point, but he won't. The man is The Terminator of Excuses.

This is the guy that on February 17th invoked the 5-year-old Jamar Smith incident as an excuse during a press conference (and that presser wasn't extreme enough to be labeled a BW 'meltdown'). To quote Alec Baldwin's character in Glengarry Glen Ross: "A loser is a loser."
Dan, awesome post. That Glengarry Glen Ross film is a classic. Weber should just acknowledge his total failure to lead, and move on and learn from it.

Dan, awesome post. That Glengarry Glen Ross film is a classic. Weber should just acknowledge his total failure to lead, and move on and learn from it.
I have seen a ton of people take credit for other people's work in my time. It's a rare person that actually takes the blame for something when it's their responsibility. That is a worthy trait IMO.

While I am on record as saying the players play the games and choked away the season and I have said Thomas hurt the team with his comments, I know many of you don't agree. But there is one thing that is for sure. The coach is responsible for everything ultimately.

Man up Bruce and shut up.

I've made mistakes, but I always try to do the best I could for U of I. I'm sorry to the school and players if I let them down. It's been a great 9 years for me but it's time we all move on. (What Bruce should have said right off the bat.) It's looking like he's creating some kind of personal mudslinging contest with U of I, I'd guess out of spite or anger b/c we let him go, that seems so childish for a man of any age. He's likely to end up in the infamous column with me. Sure wish he could have left with dignity and class. Very ugly way to act considering the money he makes.

What kind of a world is this, Fever? First I run into John Calipari last week at a restaurant in Lexington, and then you run into Bruce Weber this week at a restaurant in Champaign. Somebody up there thinks these coincidental meetings are amusing. :laugh:
Too funny, CY :laugh:. Did you say anything to Calipari? I now expect to run into Bo Ryan this weekend. One of my least favorites coaches, the Grinch.

I love the caption below Bruce's photo in that ESPN article 'Weber won only one NCAA tournament game in his final six seasons at Illinois.' That's why you were fired Bruce stop with the excuses

He's still at it. From the ESPN article:

Weber said things began to snowball once his players received word that he would likely be fired.
"[Otherwise] we would've made the NCAA tournament," Weber said. "It was really hard on our kids. They really took it hard. They could sense what was going on. I mean, kids cried in my office, on the phone.
"We had been very competitive, but that caused us to lose some of that sense of togetherness, a sense of a future or whatever. That's what gets you over the hump in some of those games. We didn't have it."

GMAFB, Bruce. Shut up, just shut up.
If Weber's players did cried in his office, and/or on the phone; what is Weber doing by airing this on ESPN? it does nothing for his players except making them look like some over sensitive weaklings.

If Weber's players did cried in his office, and/or on the phone; what is Weber doing by airing this on ESPN? it does nothing for his players except making them look like some over sensitive weaklings.
Weber sees crying as a necessary emotion. It is, in many ways, a positive to him, which is why he brings it up again and again.

Those among us who consider it a weakness, we would gravitate towards hiding such incidents. Or not making a big deal out of it. Perhaps even such incidents would not even arise under our watch.

It is going to be very interesting to see "Weber's kids" perform under JG.

I love the caption below Bruce's photo in that ESPN article 'Weber won only one NCAA tournament game in his final six seasons at Illinois.' That's why you were fired Bruce stop with the excuses
How does Weber make an excuse for that caption? He has 5 of those seasons without MT to blame. Weber always had a scape goat. I guess in his final days at Illinois it was MT and those non-tough players.

That's a winner!!
OH
What if it's true that his kids were crying and Bruce felt it broke down his team psychologically? I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but I personally have no problem with Bruce if he's:

1. Telling the truth about his players (which I think he is)
2. Telling what he felt about it all

This is a guy that probably has never been fired or experienced failure like this in his entire life. He's moved up the chain to the highest levels so let's cut the guy some slack if he has a little trouble dealing with a major failure. We've moved on, he's moving on. This will all eventually be about the UI and KSU basketball teams, but in the offseason of the hiring and firing, we're going to get some reflection.
He is most definitely not moving on. When asked about Illinois, moving on would be this response: "I am the coach at KSU, I'm excited about my team and look forward to building a winner here"

Bruce is such a cry baby. If he's right that he and the team tanked because of what MT did, I propose awarding Mike a special award of merit. Getting this guy out of town by ANY means was of tremendous value to the program. He is revealing himself as a buffoon. With every inane comment he makes the reasons for his failure at Illinois are clearer. He can't see the forest for the trees and has terrible, childish judgment. Whatever positive image he had left among some Illini fans, he is destroying.
+ 1000000000000

Recruiting Correspondent
Michigan
Too funny, CY :laugh:. Did you say anything to Calipari? I now expect to run into Bo Ryan this weekend. One of my least favorites coaches, the Grinch.
I didn't. Lots of people were asking for pictures with him and he was gracious about posing (probably because all the attention impressed the recruit and his family), but I thought it would be hypocritical to approach him, given my views about him. I will say this, though: he certainly knows how to charm a room.

I didn't. Lots of people were asking for pictures with him and he was gracious about posing (probably because all the attention impressed the recruit and his family), but I thought it would be hypocritical to approach him, given my views about him. I will say this, though: he certainly knows how to charm a room.
Just wondering...did he have the money in those canvas bank bags with the $ sign on them or in a manila envelope

Recruiting Correspondent
Michigan
Just wondering...did he have the money in those canvas bank bags with the $ sign on them or in a manila envelope
Perhaps, these days, the coveted recruits just get a UK debit card with a PIN number and access to a bottomless account. ;) Nothing says "we want you for our program" quite like that. :D

Last edited:
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Johns Creek, GA
So you finally meet the man you despise the most and given the chance to tell him how you feel about what he did to 'your' program all you can muster is "hello"? Very disappointing. :tsk:
We are all somewhat different people when hiding behind the internet's veil of anonymity and relative lack of accountability.

I have seen a ton of people take credit for other people's work in my time. It's a rare person that actually takes the blame for something when it's their responsibility. That is a worthy trait IMO.

While I am on record as saying the players play the games and choked away the season and I have said Thomas hurt the team with his comments, I know many of you don't agree. But there is one thing that is for sure. The coach is responsible for everything ultimately.

Man up Bruce and shut up.
This. Just because they ask doesn't mean he has to talk about it.

I still have not "gotten over" Bruce not being our coach. I am still very happy and excited that he is no longer at U of I. I expect I will still be happy and excited during the next season when I don't have to watch his team play. I will probably still be somewhat happy and excited about him being gone when Illinois returns to national prominence.

I still have not "gotten over" Bruce not being our coach. I am still very happy and excited that he is no longer at U of I. I expect I will still be happy and excited during the next season when I don't have to watch his team play. I will probably still be somewhat happy and excited about him being gone when Illinois returns to national prominence.

:thumb: :chief:

Perhaps, these days, the coveted recruits just get a UK debit card with a PIN number and access to a bottomless account. ;) Nothing says "we want you for our program" quite like that. :D
You forgot from a bank owned by a UK booster. Until the IRS/FBI get involved with tracking the money, I guess we will have to settle for the NCAA using interns to pour over cell phone and text messaging accounts.

This. Just because they ask doesn't mean he has to talk about it.
Uh, have you followed Illini basketball at all the last 9 years? If so then you would not make that statement. Paul Klee noted many many times how open and honest Bruce Weber is and has always been. In fact, I think that was one of the few things Klee liked about Weber.

Weber always spoke his mind and I always loved that and still do. What I don't understand is all the fans that used to love it and now hate him for it.

Most of all this Weber drama right now isn't even about what he said but has more to do with what other professionals in the industry are saying about Thomas and UofI in general. Too a good purpose I might add. For example it makes sense for Izzo to knock Illinois (kickem while there down) so to speak. It is a "good negative" recruiting.

Uh, have you followed Illini basketball at all the last 9 years? If so then you would not make that statement. Paul Klee noted many many times how open and honest Bruce Weber is and has always been. In fact, I think that was one of the few things Klee liked about Weber.

Weber always spoke his mind and I always loved that and still do. What I don't understand is all the fans that used to love it and now hate him for it.

Most of all this Weber drama right now isn't even about what he said but has more to do with what other professionals in the industry are saying about Thomas and UofI in general. Too a good purpose I might add. For example it makes sense for Izzo to knock Illinois (kickem while there down) so to speak. It is a "good negative" recruiting.
I don't believe most posters here are knocking Weber for his honesty and for saying what he thinks. But by doing that now, he's revealing what kind of person he really is -- among other things, a whiner who doesn't know how to handle adversity very well.

Speaking mind AND honesty was and is alway welcome. Past weber?

Speaking mind and distorting recent + fresh history is another matter. Current Weber?

Banned
Seattle area
We are seeing Weber's true colors. It would be bad enough were he not grossly enriched in the process. He can't see the truth. That's his downfall and a major reason why I expect more failure at K-State.

Nope. A total noob. :laugh:

He was asked endlessly about IDKWTI and he mostly took the high road. He knows how to do it. Why he isn't I don't know.

We are seeing Weber's true colors. It would be bad enough were he not grossly enriched in the process. He can't see the truth. That's his downfall and a major reason why I expect more failure at K-State.
When you saw Coach Weber did you man up and share your thoughts OF? Did you share what you think is the truth as you say? I am sure you did not tell him what you are thinking 24-7.

18 million post later you still at it, I get it let's hide behind a key board.

Coach Weber is honest as the day is long almost to a fault and it is a shame that some can say he can't see the truth when he lives it every day.

So you finally meet the man you despise the most and given the chance to tell him how you feel about what he did to 'your' program all you can muster is "hello"? Very disappointing. :tsk:
I agree maybe he hopes Coach Weber reads our forum and follows the post he makes at a rate of 12 per day on the weber hate fan club.

Status
Not open for further replies.