Cal 35, Illinois 20 POSTGAME

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Refs were fairly frustrating, but likely didn't affect the outcome of the game. Really really hope the staff can find a pass rusher in the transfer portal for next year.

Fun to watch Illinois football in December, really hope to see the next leap forward in 2020.

Good job Illini.
Now, focus shifts to the offseason and taking another step forward next season.

100% of all 50/50 calls went their way. With all the injuries we had prior to kickoff, always was going to be an uphill battle.

Proud of the guys and the way they continued to battle. Lovie's got this headed the right direction, just need more depth now to overcome the injuries to so many key areas. Onward and upward ... 2020 looks EXTREMELY promising!

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
I wasn't expecting an Illini win so I'm not surprised at the result. Hopeful for the future but the program made the minimum amount of progress to give Smith a fifth year. Everyone is basing a lot on a four game stretch out of the 49 games Smith has been head coach. Something has to be done about this defense, either personnel wise or scheme. They really don't stop anybody, just rely on the opposing team to make mistakes. Cal was last in PAC-10 offense this year and had receivers wide open all game.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
A huge THANKS to the Seniors. 4/5 years of very hard work, contributing to this turnaround.

Very glad for the kids to make it to a bowl game. Tastes great for sure.

Was especially bummed when Caleb Reams was on the injury report. Dude went through multiple coaching staffs and position changes, fights through it, but can't experience the bowl game.

Refs were fairly frustrating, but likely didn't affect the outcome of the game. Really really hope the staff can find a pass rusher in the transfer portal for next year.

Fun to watch Illinois football in December, really hope to see the next leap forward in 2020.

Hard to say what that fumble call would resulted in but in general officials don’t affect games the way fans believe they do. They win some and they lose some but almost always the game is decided by the guys wearing the colored uniforms. This was no different.

We made the progress I wanted, no, NEEDED to see. We have 16 starters and a whole host of key reserves coming back, we recruited well this cycle. This program’s future is so bright, I’m giddy.

Last edited:

SuperMetroid

Evanston
Proud of the team fighting to the end despite a depleted roster and the SEC goobers’ “officiating”. Thanks to the seniors for some great memories and hopefully the beginning of a new era of success for Illini football.

Was especially bummed when Caleb Reams was on the injury report. Dude went through multiple coaching staffs and position changes, fights through it, but can't experience the bowl game.

He wasn’t injured, according to a few guys in the game day thread. Suspended.

the national

the Front Range
Iowa targeting non-call on Peters hit was the worst call I’ve seen in football all decade.
Bump. That was horrendous. If the hit today was targeting I have no idea what to call that hit on peters in the Iowa game.

however, that’s in the past :). I’m happy we played ok today, moved the ball and made a spirited effort despite begins behind. I’m not too upset about the loss. I’m really excited for next year. There is a lot of reason for optimism and hope.

Those defending refs are delusional. No, we probably lose even if calls go our way. Can’t say the same about OSU VS Clemson. These guys make GOOD money! They need to be better or be replaced. Too much at stake.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Just to follow up on Twangers optimistic outlook, I'm fairly sure with a full complement of our WR's and defense today....we win easily. JMO.

Onward and upward. :chief: :illinois::chief:

Those defending refs are delusional. No, we probably lose even if calls go our way. Can’t say the same about OSU VS Clemson. These guys make GOOD money! They need to be better or be replaced. Too much at stake.

Wait, one minute. Did you just say that SEC/FBS officiating crews make good money? That’s sarcasm, right?

I really hate going out on a losing streak. Kind of feels like the basketball team last year with their good stretch in the middle of the season