Cal 35, Illinois 20 POSTGAME

Deleted member 746648

D
So I was listening to the game on the radio. Were the refs as bad as the announcers were making it sound? You could tell one of them was clearly pissed off by the end

Respectable+

1577754255882.png

Brandon played a fantastic football game today, all things considered. We ran a redshirt freshman QB, Carlos Sandy and Trenard Davis out there at WR today. For him to do what he did, my hat is off. This is a stepping stone to progress for him.

LJ22

Chicago, IL
I'm weirdly happy to read all these posts because they reflect my thinking so well.

Sad, but proud. Accepting, but still annoyed at some calls (targeting!? no fumble recovery!?). I'm thrilled with Peters' effort, and Lovie actually calling a play instead of kneeling it out at the half might have been my favorite Illini play call all year.

Go Illini. So fun to be part of a bowl.

LJ22

Chicago, IL
No. There were some 50/50 calls that didn’t go our way but I thought fans were overblowing it as we tend to do. Cal was the better team.
Both are possible. The play calling was bad, and Cal was the better team.

3000 I agree wholeheartedly. I would rather watch them now instead of watching other teams. Some very questionable calls.

I feel a lot better about the program than I did 5 years ago with the exact same record and an eerily similar final score in the bowl game. Some changes need to come—it’d be nice to see 1 or 2 coaching changes but likely won’t happen—but this should be a 7 or 8 win team in the regular season next year.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
So happy to see all the young kids getting good run today. Casey Washington, if he hits this tape hard, is going to be better for it down the road. Much better.
Agree. To me, Peters and Washington were the two biggest bright spots in the game for us.

The defensive coaching staff is catching an oven’s worth of heat for today’s performance (And foe good reason) but they had the right call at the right time for Dele Harding to be in position to make 4-5 very important plays and he didn’t make them. One of those kind of days.

Last edited:
This is was one of those games where every close call seemed to go the other way, every 50/50 ball seemed to fall in the opposing team’s hands, and the Illini always seemed a step shy of making a big play.

The teams’ game stats are virtually identical and yet the Illini lost by 2 TDs. That comes down to Cal doing the little things and Illinois not

I'm still baffled by a few calls Rod Smith made this game. That 3rd and 4 with the option play was uhhh something. I think this team looks awful when it tries to break tendency. I know you have to do it but we did not play to our strengths this game enough on either side of the football.

This game was winnable imo.

I'm still baffled by a few calls Rod Smith made this game. That 3rd and 4 with the option play was uhhh something. I think this team looks awful when it tries to break tendency. I know you have to do it but we did not play to our strengths this game enough on either side of the football.

This game was winnable imo.

That play call is not on Rod. That’s on Brandon.

Popping in to say that while disappointing, I am completely unsurprised that our secondary folded like a card table against a decent quarterback and D-line. It's a weakness about this team we've known all along. It's up to the coaches to get some better horses or teach up the ones we have.

Trajectory is still up! Program is headed in the correct direction. Not perfect yet, but those baying for Lovie to show concrete progress this year should be satisfied.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
There were also like 4 PI calls against us in the end zone, of which two were definitely questionable, especially given early in the game where there was one that should have been obvious against them that wasn't called and could have been a TD for us. They also gave them a 1st down later in the game where I'm 95% sure they didn't make it and subsequently they got a TD. That combined with the non-call certainly ensured the game for them, although we certainly could have played much better on defense- especially pass coverage overall. Literally none of our DBs had a very good day. Even Hobbs looked bad out there, but granted Garbers threw some damn good balls to his receivers today, and they caught them all. All in all just not our day. Hopefully next bowl game it is.

The best team won the game given our injuries. That being said I wish that they had reviewed that fumble. We still could have won the game. What's the point of replay if you dont review potential turnovers.

Refs were fairly frustrating, but likely didn't affect the outcome of the game. Really really hope the staff can find a pass rusher in the transfer portal for next year.

Fun to watch Illinois football in December, really hope to see the next leap forward in 2020.
it did have some impact the lack of a pass rush had a lot to do with the way the lack of holding being called...the fumble not reviewed at the end...some weak pass interference calls that extended their drives.