Cal 35, Illinois 20 POSTGAME

Deleted member 746648

D
Don’t need to derail. Just calling BS.
I typed in "sec football referee compensation" and the first couple links I clicked on backed up what twangers said so I'm not sure where you are finding this information.

The call on E was HORRIBLE! I couldn't care less if it decided the game. I t was freaking awful! He used his shoulder and DID NOT hit the guys helmet. How a replay official blows that is beyond belief. Why have the guy if he doesn't have the guts to make the right call.
I'm reading a lot about the secondary, but Il got very little pressure except for the last couple series.

I simply DuckDuckGo(ed) how much NCAA football refs make and something from QUORA popped up. $11,700 was low end and the median and top end I mentioned earlier.

Thank you. Don't know why I assumed grad transfer just meant one year. This is great news in my mind. Loved his effort today.

No worries, it’s usually the first thing I think of as well when I hear grad transfer. You think a graduate with 4 years, right? Redshirt, then 3, then 1 remaining but more and more we see kids get degrees early. Good on them.

Brandon was great today, he really was. This is something he can build on for his own confidence.

BZuppke

Plainfield
I will note that the orange jersey/pants combo loses again. I don’t recall ever winning with orange on orange.

I feel like the difference between these six wins and possibly as many as nine was a college defensive coordinator. My confidence going into 2020 would quadruple if Lovie could swallow some pride and find a DC who’s schooled in today’s college game.
I definitely agree, These are college players not pro.

I will note that the orange jersey/pants combo loses again. I don’t recall ever winning with orange on orange.
I'm personally not a fan of anything that so looks like Syracuse. Plus orange as a major in colors is wrong. People laugh at orange. It is not a dominating color in athletics.. I'm just mad we lost today...but I hate the color orange. It's wimpy as fug. I personally loved those grey ghost uniforms we wore when we finally kicked !!!.

Ugh...they absolutely are not.
That's a matter of opinion, comparing them to the common man I think for 2hrs of work a game they do.
That’s not what they make. I can tell you for fact that the highest rated crews in both the SEC and the Big 12 make $2400-2800 per game and they typically guarantee them 10.
So your telling me for a 2hr game they are paid a min of $300 an hour sounds better then what I make and definitely more than I made ever serving as a Marine but hey being an official is got to be tougher than that.

The call on E was HORRIBLE! I couldn't care less if it decided the game. I t was freaking awful! He used his shoulder and DID NOT hit the guys helmet. How a replay official blows that is beyond belief. Why have the guy if he doesn't have the guts to make the right call.
I'm reading a lot about the secondary, but Il got very little pressure except for the last couple series.
I will agree that the call was bogus, however I do believe Milo had a perfect opportunity for a perfect form tackle there that could have been a hell of a hit. Disappointed in his game yesterday, but certainly did not feel he should have been flagged for targeting and kicked out of the game. Overall the defense has too many lapses where guys are out of position. It's on both coaches and players, but it happens too much. Glad we made a Bowl game, but the last 3 games (including yesterday) were disappointing. Really hope we can see much improved development for next year and up the stakes a bit, say 7-8 wins and a Bowl victory.

That’s not what they make. I can tell you for fact that the highest rated crews in both the SEC and the Big 12 make $2400-2800 per game and they typically guarantee them 10.
I’ll take it sign me up 2400 a game for the very little they do WTF

Like it or not, we have developed a reputation for targeting. If they don't change the rule, Lovie needs to get the guys to change the way they hit, or we are going to continue to have players ejected.

Synopsis of the game
Peters played very well without top WR's
Didn't really get the running game going
Too many wide open Cal WR's
Gave up too many big plays at critical moments
Horrid targeting call
Key players out on O and D
Back-ups are not where they should be
The officiating was not good but, didn't cost the ILLINI the game

Props to the Seniors who hung in when the program was in turmoil
Pick up critical position needs on the Transfer Market
Get after it in the off-season
2020 should be really good

https://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=401136254

A look at the box score would suggest a much closer game.

I think the thing that’s lost in all this ref talk is that we scored 4 times to their 5 but had drives stall out. We shot ourselves in the foot on other drives.

The game was actually fairly competitive and enjoyable to watch.

This was a better Illinois team than I think we commonly give it credit for. Now we just need to fix some issues and tweak some others. I can’t say it enough: it certainly feels like we’re on an upward trajectory.

very enjoyable to watch with the exception of the hoosier fan next to me who be came
a loud and obnoxious Cal bear fan for a day. I really didn't care who Indiana played
today until I met that guy. Go Vols. Thought I'd never say that.

Would have been nice to win this game but I'm glad we had a semi-decent year finally. Looking forward to next year with Peters as a senior.

DJRichardson4threee

IlliniGator2011
Chicago, IL
I think the referees had more of an impact than we are even letting on. The biggest in my mind was that big play near the end of the half where they ruled “as stands” rather than confirmed. We had them backed up against there end zone on third down and it was pretty clear to me that their receiver was bobbling the ball when he went out of bounds right in front of Lovie. They went on to score that drive to make it 21-10, rather than us receiving a punt right around midfield with a chance to go into halftime with a lead.
Then there was the targeting call, the non-review of possible fumble which would have given us the ball in the red zone, and another out of bounds catch, which was much closer and a tougher call than the one I mentioned above. But again, I do think the player stepped out of bounds before “making a football play, with complete possession”. They again would go on to score that drive.

Six wins. A bowl game. Most of the starters returning. New state of the art facility. No program scandals or violations that I’m aware of. Head coach and AD positions appear stable. I’m happy to see all these improvements and am already looking forward to 2020 season where I expect Illini will contend for Big 10 West title.

But again, I do think the player stepped out of bounds before “making a football play, with complete possession”. They again would go on to score that drive.
I think it was a catch, but I wonder if it met all the criteria as written in the rule book.

I thought it was stupid that they were even talking about football move since it did happen out of bounds

About the uniforms being orange. I do love orange. But not these orange uniforms. I loved the Flying Illini when they wore all orange. Whatever shade of orange that is, duplicate that for football uniforms. But I wouldn’t mind some blue mixed in either.