Cam Thomas has left the program

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Well, the job is getting kids to like things.
I knew when we hired him, that Lovie was never going to be a rah rah guy with the media. I was fine with that. I wonder if the players need that from him though. I wish we knew more on how the players responded to Lovie. Or maybe we are finding it out and don't realize it.

I knew when we hired him, that Lovie was never going to be a rah rah guy with the media. I was fine with that. I wonder if the players need that from him though. I wish we knew more on how the players responded to Lovie. Or maybe we are finding it out and don't realize it.

It's my opinion that it's all fine. And there's different kinds of leadership than just rah-rah, players will tune out anything if they don't respect it. I played football once upon a time and I'd have run through a wall for Lovie and stopped listening to PJ Fleck after about five seconds.

But yeah, you do wonder. I just keep waiting for the vibe around the program to flip into "okay, it's time to win now". Let's do that tomorrow, shall we?

Because he hasn't played a snap, pretty sure he can just transfer down to Juco, play immediately, and then transfer wherever he wants in December and be eligible immediately for next year.

He also could use this year as a redshirt year, and transfer and play 3 yrs.

Isn't the Littyville guy enough of a rah rah influence? How many guys like him do you need?

Cam Thomas was probably our best pure runner of the QBs but it was reported in the fall that his throwing had regressed if anything. This is a run first offense but you must have the ability to throw to keep defenses honest. He was passed by and chose to go elsewhere. Happens all the time.

However this players are leaving because Lovie is not Rah Rah is laughable. Mackovic barely spoke to players and players on his teams have told me that he loved to play mind games with them. Bear Bryant was the definition of warm and fuzzy at Bama. If you are fair with players, treat them respectfully and know what you are doing, players will respond.

Cam Thomas was probably our best pure runner of the QBs but it was reported in the fall that his throwing had regressed if anything. This is a run first offense but you must have the ability to throw to keep defenses honest. He was passed by and chose to go elsewhere. Happens all the time.

However this players are leaving because Lovie is not Rah Rah is laughable. Mackovic barely spoke to players and players on his teams have told me that he loved to play mind games with them. Bear Bryant was the definition of warm and fuzzy at Bama. If you are fair with players, treat them respectfully and know what you are doing, players will respond.

Also, most of the players are going to have the strongest relationship with their position coaches, not the head coach. I'm just little disappointed they couldn't convince Cam to play a different position, because he's definitely fast enough. Christian Morton wasn't a QB. And really wasn't that good of DB, but he still played a few years in the NFL after Turner convinced him to switch. But then you got guys like Bailey and Thomas, who'd rather play QB at a lower level (to the detriment of their pro aspirations), instead of stick it out at D1 and switch positions to get on the field. I'll never understand it. Then quality of the facilities at Illinois, compared to lower levels. It's night and day.

Of course, maybe Cam thought he'd be nudged out by the staff at the end of the year anyway, so he really doesn't have a choice and is getting a head start on picking another school.

The timing is just so odd. Did he find out on Saturday that he wasn't going to come in if Bush struggled or became injured? Something else?

It isn't odd timing. This preserves his eligibility as much as possible. And the coaches seemed to be impressed with Robinson. It sounded like maybe even if Bush needed to come out for some reason that Thomas may not have been first in the game.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Shocking! Simply shocking that we have a disgruntled player. Guy who was a 1 and is (was) a 3 now (with a bullet). Oh, and we have a fairly touted QB on the way. Gotta be able to pass, at least passably, at this level. Sadly, Thomas can't. This Smith/Smith didn't give him a fair shake meme is laughable. That said, I feel for the kid. I wish he would have stayed.

As for us fans, let's avoid more hot takes, please.

Deleted member 649710

D
Good luck to Cam in his future endeavors.

Young guys, your opportunity is coming; be ready to make the most of it.

I don’t disagree with your overall point on paragraph 2 but remember those other coaches are from significantly different generations of players. If a coach doesn’t have a great relationship with his players nowadays, it straight up doesn’t work.