Cardinals Hot Stove

Why? Why can't it be Fowler that steps up and plays at a higher level? It is just as likely of a scenario as one of the other players playing at that level.

I think it's much more likely that the younger guys continue to learn and improve. Fowler's been in the league for 10 years, he is what he is. Average at his best, but potentially terrible at times. Hopefully the young guys can step up and give us more exciting baseball.

Dispatch articles the last two days don’t inspire me much. DeWitt saying we are 6th in payroll and 11th in revenue; expects Carp to bounce back. Article describes how we are “hamstrung” by money owed Fowler, Carp, Goldy, Leake, Cecil and Miller.

Mo sounds like he’s content to sit pat.

I just don’t get it. Status quo is a bubble type team. Maybe they are managing expectations but I believe them we that sound content.
It’s cha Ching and hope for a lucky break.

Dispatch articles the last two days don’t inspire me much. DeWitt saying we are 6th in payroll and 11th in revenue; expects Carp to bounce back. Article describes how we are “hamstrung” by money owed Fowler, Carp, Goldy, Leake, Cecil and Miller.

I just don’t get it. Status quo is a bubble type team. Maybe they are managing expectations but I believe them we that sound content.

I expected this to me the thought process of the front office. They will not go all in and dump contracts getting next to nothing in return and then go out on the FA market and bring in some block buster FAs. Truth is that doesn't work out very often. And if that is their plan, DeWitt HAS to say what he did publicly if he hopes to get any kind of value in return.

I just don't see them signing a third baseman or corner outfielder. If they get a starting pitcher he will be a SP # 3 at best. Relievers will be 6th, 7th inning type.

The contention of the front office is they made it to the NLCS with many players under performing. They can do it again if some of them move back closer to their career norms.

I just don’t think Carpenter is a good enough third baseman for a team trying to win a championship. He wasn’t good enough this year and last year he was at first.

BillyBob1

Champaign

so DimWitt says they are hamstrung by all those contracts. Did anyone ask him who made those contracts, yes the same guy he just gave an extension to, Mo.

For better or worse, Waino's back.

The preference, even as he hit free agency for the first time in his career and could field offers from other interested teams, was always to return for one more year, that last encore before the curtain, with the Cardinals.
Adam Wainwright will get that chance.
Wainwright and the Cardinals agreed to a one-year deal Tuesday morning. The team announced the contract on Twitter before confirming it.

Not really hot stove worthy but...

Cardinals are going to have all their weeknight home games in April, May, August, and September start at 6:45. The only exception will be their final home game on Wednesday September 23rd vs. the Brewers which will start at 5:45 due to Milwaukee having to play in San Francisco the next night.

For the most part I don't engage in "what if" trade talk. No matter that the fans or the media think would be a good idea, for the most part the Cardinal FO doesn't agree so I find it a waste of time.

Case in point is ESPN's David Schoenfield and the suggestion that St Lou trade with Boston. Boston Red Sox trade RF Mookie Betts and RHP Nathan Eovaldi to the St. Louis Cardinals for IF/OF Tommy Edman, OF Randy Arozarena, 1B/RF Jose Martinez and LHP Brett Cecil.

There is no way the Cardinals would give up those players for a one year rental of Betts. They almost never trade for a 1 year rental player. Yes they traded for Goldschmidt but in reality they gave up 2 minor leaguers and a journeyman pitcher. Plus they were pretty confident they could sign him to an extension.

According to the talk they expect Edman to be a contributor on a regular basis. They will move him around to a number of positions to get him the ABs.

I am ignoring Eovaldi as he might not even make the team. He isn't strong enough to be the #5 SP and he as a reliever, he's got too much competition. His last decent season was 2015 with the Yankees. He is going to get $17 mil a year for the next 3 years. There are a lot of better options out there for that kind of money.

Lastly, just because the BoSox want to dump salary doesn't mean StL wants to be hamstrung with it.

For the most part I don't engage in "what if" trade talk. No matter that the fans or the media think would be a good idea, for the most part the Cardinal FO doesn't agree so I find it a waste of time.

Case in point is ESPN's David Schoenfield and the suggestion that St Lou trade with Boston. Boston Red Sox trade RF Mookie Betts and RHP Nathan Eovaldi to the St. Louis Cardinals for IF/OF Tommy Edman, OF Randy Arozarena, 1B/RF Jose Martinez and LHP Brett Cecil.

There is no way the Cardinals would give up those players for a one year rental of Betts. They almost never trade for a 1 year rental player. Yes they traded for Goldschmidt but in reality they gave up 2 minor leaguers and a journeyman pitcher. Plus they were pretty confident they could sign him to an extension.

According to the talk they expect Edman to be a contributor on a regular basis. They will move him around to a number of positions to get him the ABs.

I am ignoring Eovaldi as he might not even make the team. He isn't strong enough to be the #5 SP and he as a reliever, he's got too much competition. His last decent season was 2015 with the Yankees. He is going to get $17 mil a year for the next 3 years. There are a lot of better options out there for that kind of money.

Lastly, just because the BoSox want to dump salary doesn't mean StL wants to be hamstrung with it.

Uh, pump the brakes. If that's all it took to get Mookie Betts then the Cardinals would have made the trade yesterday. The Red Sox sound like they're pretty motivated to get under the payroll, but they aren't desperate enough to trade their highest value asset and only getting possible flash in the pan Edman, Arozarena (who didn't even have a flash in said pan), a not even good hitter and worthless defensive player in Martinez, and a DFA candidate.

That trade proposal is laughable, mostly because it in no way represents how the Cardinals would approach a trade like this OR what Boston would look for in a Betts trade.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL

I saw this yesterday, and don't really like the trade. Folks are going crazy about how bad the Fowler contract is, it appears that the Eovaldi contract is a year longer and worse. I like Edman (I think everyone does), and I don't think that the Cards would sign Betts long term. If the Cards did want to sign Betts and felt that they could really pull it off, without Eovaldi, I would like it much better. The 2020 payroll would be largest ever, 2021 would likely be over the luxury tax (if they sign Betts), but then Carp and Fowler come off the payroll the following year. And Molina should be done by then, so 2022 would likely be a more normal Cards payroll, even with $30+M for Betts.

Cards sign LHP Kwang-hyun Kim to. 2 year/$8 million.

Classic Mozeliak. Pass on Bumgarner and piss of Cardinals fans. Then sign a lesser known name (in this case completely unknown) for a fraction of the cost. No doubts in my mind that Kwang-hyun Kim will out-pitch Bumgarner this year. Then Mozeliak can tell everyone "I told you so" yet again.

Don't know anything about the guy other than his nickname is "KK".

I believe he’s 31. High strikeout to walk rate. Had TJ in 2017. He may have as many miles on him as Mad Bum. Definitely cheaper.

Classic Mozeliak. Pass on Bumgarner and piss of Cardinals fans. Then sign a lesser known name (in this case completely unknown) for a fraction of the cost. No doubts in my mind that Kwang-hyun Kim will out-pitch Bumgarner this year. Then Mozeliak can tell everyone "I told you so" yet again.

I am a bit confused. Is this a BAD thing? Performance and production are all that matter. It shouldn't matter if it comes from a relative unknown or the heart-throb of the masses who always seem to know more than the experts.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL

It obviously is less risky. All I have heard is that he has a nasty slider. Apparently, he is insurance for the starting rotation, if Carlos or Adam have issues, and can be in the bullpen, to help match up with all the left-handed bats in the division. Also, didn't cost anything but money. Hard to not like the move, independent of any other move. If this is their only addition to the pitching staff, I hope everyone gets/stays healthy.
ps- Very happy that they didn't go 5 years on a 30+ pitcher. Likely would have been ok for years 1,2, but after that, think Carp and Fowler.

I'm okay with them passing on Bumgarner. Yeah he's a great postseason pitcher but his stats the past couple years haven't been great, especially on the road. And being a flyball pitcher in Arizona doesn't sound like a great idea for future success.

I definitely did not want to be the team to commit 5 years to Bumgarner. I mean, odds are he pitches better than Kim in the next two years, but I'd MUCH rather accept the risk of an $8MM deal for a guy from a league the Cardinals have had a history of scouting well (Oh, Mikolas), rather than commit 5 years to a guy who was outright bad for 2 seasons before putting up a moderately good year in a contract year.

I think any ground ball pitcher in STL is screwed by a bad third baseman
(carp) and a shortstop who has no range. Edman is a better shortstop and
hitter than Dejong. Somehow the birds don't have a shortstop in the system.

please, please go all in on Lindor. Cleveland, look at our system, other than
Flaherty and maybe Carlson, who do you want?

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
I think any ground ball pitcher in STL is screwed by a bad third baseman
(carp) and a shortstop who has no range. Edman is a better shortstop and
hitter than Dejong. Somehow the birds don't have a shortstop in the system.

please, please go all in on Lindor. Cleveland, look at our system, other than
Flaherty and maybe Carlson, who do you want?
I have no idea if Edman is the better shortstop. Personally, I want him spending a lot of time at 3rd. Unless Carp is hitting like pre-2019. Then, I want Edman getting 5-600 at bats all around the field (including shortstop).

I have no idea if Edman is the better shortstop. Personally, I want him spending a lot of time at 3rd. Unless Carp is hitting like pre-2019. Then, I want Edman getting 5-600 at bats all around the field (including shortstop).
Except for 6 weeks in 2018 Carpenter has hit about 200

Front office says Carp starts the season at third and Edman gets his bats as a utility guy. I hope Carp has a short leash. I see him fading about the way Johnny Peralta did.

I feel good about one more position player on the roster because that’s where I see Carp.

now deJong needs to prove he can hit at the big league level. last season left us wondering.