Cardinals Hot Stove

I believe it was. The club was still high on him. He was speedy.

Yea I'm thinking that Arozarena was the piece that the Rays actually wanted in this trade. He did kill AAA last year, and he'll get a lot more at bats in 2020 on the Rays than he would have with the Cardinals. I see he and Lane Thomas as basically the same player, so might as well trade one of them.

The trade probably looks bad initially for the Cardinals, until Liberatore and his childhood buddy Nolan Gorman win the MVP and Cy Young in 2022 with the Cardinals.

Yea I'm thinking that Arozarena was the piece that the Rays actually wanted in this trade. He did kill AAA last year, and he'll get a lot more at bats in 2020 on the Rays than he would have with the Cardinals. I see he and Lane Thomas as basically the same player, so might as well trade one of them.

The trade probably looks bad initially for the Cardinals, until Liberatore and his childhood buddy Nolan Gorman win the MVP and Cy Young in 2022 with the Cardinals.
I like the trade. It clears roster spots. Maybe Ozuna? Definitely a back up catcher.

I like the trade. It clears roster spots. Maybe Ozuna? Definitely a back up catcher.

Oh definitely. Anytime you trade what amounts to spare parts for an actual pitching prospect, you do it.

There was a Heyman tweet last night saying they didn't want to trade O'Neill and expect big things from him this year. So either that was leverage for their discussions with Ozuna or we'll see an O'Neill v Lane Thomas spring training competition for LF with Dylan Carlson hopefully taking a corner OF spot in May

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Oh definitely. Anytime you trade what amounts to spare parts for an actual pitching prospect, you do it.

There was a Heyman tweet last night saying they didn't want to trade O'Neill and expect big things from him this year. So either that was leverage for their discussions with Ozuna or we'll see an O'Neill v Lane Thomas spring training competition for LF with Dylan Carlson hopefully taking a corner OF spot in May
Hopefully, moving Fowler to a 4th OF position.

I love this trade personally. A legit higher-end pitching prospect and we traded away guys from the deepest area on our team. We'll miss Martinez's bat but definitely not his defense...and now he's in the AL so he can be a DH if that's what they decide to do with him.

Can't wait for Liberatore and Gorman to get up to the bigs...

I could see the Cardinals flipping Liberatore as part of a deal to get Arenado from Colorado. One scenario I saw was Hudson, Gorman, and Liberatore for Arenado. Heck, maybe they even toss Fowler into that deal.

the national

the Front Range
Any legs to this??

4A4275C7-B81B-40A3-89B6-9B0C849940F5.jpeg

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
That's a lot to give up, especially if they are taking on Arenado's contract on top of the players.
I agree, if they could get Carp into that too, I could see it. What else are you going to do with him? $20M a year to learn left field? That is an expensive pinch hitter.

that deal is absolutely insane. An Arenado trade is basically the Stanton to Yankees trade, except Stanton was coming off a better year. And that trade was Castro (= O’Neill maybe?) and then 2 not very great prospects (aka not even close to Gorman or Liberatore).

including potentially 2/5 of your rotation, a starting LF, and 2 of your top 3 prospects is just nonsense.

I am assuming the contract would have to be reworked for Arenado to waive NTC and for Cardinals to give up necessary assets.

I think this gets done with a higher AAV and pushing back the opt out to 4 years.

that deal is absolutely insane. An Arenado trade is basically the Stanton to Yankees trade, except Stanton was coming off a better year. And that trade was Castro (= O’Neill maybe?) and then 2 not very great prospects (aka not even close to Gorman or Liberatore).

including potentially 2/5 of your rotation, a starting LF, and 2 of your top 3 prospects is just nonsense.

Can't imagine they'd part with Gorman in this deal. I know nothing about Liberatore, but the fact that the Rays were willing to part with him for Martinez and Arozarena makes me think he might be a little too high in most prospect lists. But two MLB ready starting pitchers (or one and a closer), one power OF prospect, and one highly regarded pitching prospect would seem to be a very good haul for the Rockies.

Can't imagine they'd part with Gorman in this deal. I know nothing about Liberatore, but the fact that the Rays were willing to part with him for Martinez and Arozarena makes me think he might be a little too high in most prospect lists. But two MLB ready starting pitchers (or one and a closer), one power OF prospect, and one highly regarded pitching prospect would seem to be a very good haul for the Rockies.
Gorman is a 19 year old third base prospect that becomes blocked when Arenado arrives. Liberatore is MLB’s 4th rated LHP prospect. A pretty nice get for Jose Martinez and Arozarena. I think the Cardinals grew frustrated with Carlos for showing up in bad shape the last couple of years. So in this group Liberatore might be the biggest give.

Carp needs included. No place for him if we get Arenado plus they need to take some $$$$ back from us.

Cardinals Caravan coming to central Illinois this weekend. Here's who will be seen:

Caravan #4
-Broadcaster: Mike Claiborne
-Current Players: Tommy Edman, Daniel Ponce De Leon, Matthew Liberatore, Nolan Gorman
-Alumni: Kyle McClellan and Bernard Gilkey

This caravan will be at the I Hotel and Conference Center (Noon, Friday) in Champaign, Embassy Suites Hotel (6:00 PM, Friday) in Peoria, and the Parke Regency Hotel (Saturday, 4:30 PM) in Bloomington.

Caravan #5
-Broadcaster: Chris Hrabe
-Current Players: Harrison Bader, Alex Reyes, Jake Woodford, Kodi Whitley
-Alumni: Jason Motte and Bengie Molina

This caravan will be at the Lake Land College Field House (Noon, Sunday) in Mattoon, the Bank of Springfield Center (6:00 PM, Sunday) , the Decatur Hotel & Conference Center (Noon, next Monday), and the Pepsi Arena at Quincy University (5:30 PM, next Monday) though the event in Quincy is autographs only and requires a ticket to the Quincy University vs. Truman State games.

Gorman is a 19 year old third base prospect that becomes blocked when Arenado arrives. Liberatore is MLB’s 4th rated LHP prospect. A pretty nice get for Jose Martinez and Arozarena. I think the Cardinals grew frustrated with Carlos for showing up in bad shape the last couple of years. So in this group Liberatore might be the biggest give.

Carp needs included. No place for him if we get Arenado plus they need to take some $$$$ back from us.

i confused Gorman and Carson. But I wouldn’t add Gorman to the stated four man package, unless they can get an agreement around the opt out. It’d be nice to have a 21 y/o Gorman waiting in the wings.