CFB Coaching Carousel 2016-17

But I could see Purdue picking up Johnson after he gets turfed by the Jackets. It just seems like a Purdue thing to do.

At the school that trademarked the term Cradle of Quarterbacks? I don't think so. They learned their lesson with Fred Akers.

Relevant tweets from him:

AM coaching notes: Is Tom Herman's stock cooling? Lovie one-and-done at Illinois? What to do at Minnesota? (In): https://t.co/7vHRP3ev1v
@CGreen63 Read the story. Didn't say he'd be fired. He may decide it's not for him because of all the problems. But he might not.
@CGreen63 Read the story. Didn't say he'd be fired. He may decide it's not for him because of all the problems. But he might not.
@STLIlliniGuy @CGreen63 The roster is in disastrous shape. He may want to wait out the upgrades, but he's also 58 and basically an NFL lifer
@STLIlliniGuy @CGreen63 Someone close to Lovie said his recruits will help a lot and lift his outlook. Still think he's back.
@STLIlliniGuy @CGreen63 Came from three sources. Also cited someone close to Lovie I trust who thinks he'll be back. All in the story.

Great click bait if nothing else.

Ummm - Does this guy really believes that Smith just now realizes we are a train wreck. I'm pretty sure Smith knew exactly what he was getting into and isn't surprised by any of this. He's been around and I'm sure his conversation with Ron Turner shed even more light on what this place was like.

I'm pretty sure Smith knew exactly what he was getting into

He didn't think he was winning a national title in year one, but I think it's pretty clear that he thought it was going to be somewhat easier both on the field and in recruiting in August versus what he's facing now.

If he wants to give up and become and NFL DC, he'll have that opportunity. But that would cost him a bunch of money and be a personal embarrassment, so I really doubt it.

BZuppke

Plainfield
You never know, but so much of reporting reflects the hopes and concerns of the fans (and plays to those hopes and concerns). September starts out and all is good and we fans feel good about Lovie and the future. Team suffers a bunch of losses revealing the false hope we once had and the hard work ahead. Fans and reporters then project these feelings on to the coach. It is more likely this than any reality coming from Lovie. No one goes into a non traditional power job and thinks it is going to be a cake walk.

icengineer

Southern Illinois
You never know, but so much of reporting reflects the hopes and concerns of the fans (and plays to those hopes and concerns). September starts out and all is good and we fans feel good about Lovie and the future. Team suffers a bunch of losses revealing the false hope we once had and the hard work ahead. Fans and reporters then project these feelings on to the coach. It is more likely this than any reality coming from Lovie. No one goes into a non traditional power job and thinks it is going to be a cake walk.

I think anyone with some knowledge of the team knew we weren't going to be very good. Sure lots of people tried to talk themselves (and others) into thinking we had a realistic chance at a bowl game, but I doubt you'd have very many of those people willing to lay down some hard earned cash on the prospect. There was one guy who did that for a few games, sorry can't remember who, but I was rooting for you/us!! If you look back at all the predictions of wins that would get us into a bowl game about half of those wins were based on 'best case scenarios'. And we all know that over the course of a season no one gets that lucky. You can't really blame the fans though, this is what real fans do. We want our team to win and we search for reasons/answers that will make that come true. What might appear to be 'false hope' is actually 'wishful thinking'. ;)

I think anyone with some knowledge of the team knew we weren't going to be very good. Sure lots of people tried to talk themselves (and others) into thinking we had a realistic chance at a bowl game, but I doubt you'd have very many of those people willing to lay down some hard earned cash on the prospect. There was one guy who did that for a few games, sorry can't remember who, but I was rooting for you/us!! If you look back at all the predictions of wins that would get us into a bowl game about half of those wins were based on 'best case scenarios'. And we all know that over the course of a season no one gets that lucky. You can't really blame the fans though, this is what real fans do. We want our team to win and we search for reasons/answers that will make that come true. What might appear to be 'false hope' is actually 'wishful thinking'. ;)

Fans are usually over optimistic and coaches always portray their teams in a favorable light but in that coaches office they know what they got. If they were caught off guard then they were horrible at evaluating talent or weren't paying attention during spring practice.

He didn't think he was winning a national title in year one, but I think it's pretty clear that he thought it was going to be somewhat easier both on the field and in recruiting in August versus what he's facing now.

If he wants to give up and become and NFL DC, he'll have that opportunity. But that would cost him a bunch of money and be a personal embarrassment, so I really doubt it.

What makes you think he thought it would be easier? I never got that impression but I don't run in his circles either.

Going into year, I was expecting 5-6 wins. This optimism was based on returning seniors and a stout defense ( expected) and a relatively weak big ten west.

However, I expected us to fall back for two years before hopefully becoming a consistently solid program.

I still feel we underachieved v unrealistic expectations. Only place I really s e me wrong thus far was WMU.

The Purdue game was just a killer on the W/L record. Make that FG and we have shot at 5 wins.

I've been disappointed in Lovie and staff coaching so far.

I'm also extremely disappointed in the lack of productivity from the upperclassmen, missing assignments, etc and getting demoted in the lineup is just sad. I expected way more from them.

Combine the lack of stellar recruiting, too many jucos, and upperclassmen who either digressed, didn't buy in, or whatever this roster is just in shambles. We have a TON of holes to fill, and at key positions. Of course that has to be a major concern for Lovie. I hope it is, and I hope he realizes that he needs another stud recruiter or two on staff. Get those this offseason, recruit like hell, and let's see what happens in 2019.

icengineer

Southern Illinois

I'm also extremely disappointed in the lack of productivity from the upperclassmen, missing assignments, etc and getting demoted in the lineup is just sad. I expected way more from them.

Combine the lack of stellar recruiting, too many jucos, and upperclassmen who either digressed, didn't buy in, or whatever this roster is just in shambles. We have a TON of holes to fill, and at key positions. Of course that has to be a major concern for Lovie. I hope it is, and I hope he realizes that he needs another stud recruiter or two on staff. Get those this offseason, recruit like hell, and let's see what happens in 2019.

I think Lovie made the decision early on that perhaps sacrificing a win or two this season wasn't as important as getting our younger guys reps. Giving up a win or two this year and getting the younger guys some experience might give us another win or two next year (and the year after next) that wouldn't be there if we were starting inexperienced players. Having so many seniors this year and still being a borderline bowl team I think makes the decision easier. I don't think Lovie, or anyone else, will ever admit to that. So I'm doing it for them!:thumb: Beside that, Having a crappy year in year 1 of the Lovie tenure is much more palatable then in subsequent years. We are building for the future now, instead of waiting to do it next year.

What makes you think he thought it would be easier?

The ongoing radical lineup changes and open disgust with the way his team is playing. Not to mention some of the foibles on the recruiting trail.

And I guess we shouldn't say "easier". It's not like he'd be working any less hard if we were 6-2 instead of 2-6. It's more about the scale of the rebuilding project. It was always going to be big in a roster sense going forward, but the full scale of the Illinoisitude was something Lovie didn't know and couldn't have known going in.

All the Lovie talk of 1 and done I now see on twitter can't be good for recruiting. I hope he either strongly denies he is thinking of leaving or goes fast.

And if he went we are screwed anyway.

The ongoing radical lineup changes and open disgust with the way his team is playing. Not to mention some of the foibles on the recruiting trail.

And I guess we shouldn't say "easier". It's not like he'd be working any less hard if we were 6-2 instead of 2-6. It's more about the scale of the rebuilding project. It was always going to be big in a roster sense going forward, but the full scale of the Illinoisitude was something Lovie didn't know and couldn't have known going in.

Maybe . But I think he put a lot into what Whitmans overall plan is. As far as the lineup changes I think it has more to do with not flushing the upperclassmen down the toilet from the get go. Let them fail then rebuild from there on up. Every one knew this was a 4 year rebuild and the roster reflected that.

The recruiting will take shape when 2 things happen.

1. New additions to the staff.
2. A year to get his feet on the ground as far as recruiting.

There needs to be some changes to the staff for sure. Remember the skill set of these players is not in tune what they are trying to teach on both sides of he ball. Plus the skill level is average MAC level at that, even though they are upperclassman.

There needs to be some changes to the staff for sure. Remember the skill set of these players is not in tune what they are trying to teach on both sides of he ball. Plus the skill level is average MAC level at that, even though they are upperclassman.

I've heard several people say this. While it may be true. I am not sure how it could be known yet. We have brought in pretty much nobody yet. They need to get their own recruits (a Couple years) before you can tell much.

Things Lovie may have thought he had going for him when looking at this job: decent senior QB, stud RB, experienced OL , experienced DL . His type of football : run the ball behind said OL , shorten game for maturing defense. Injuries and inconsistencies have derailed the plan . I agree with Lake ; he needs to strongly deny he's going anywhere or other coaches are going to feast on this .

Things Lovie may have thought he had going for him when looking at this job: decent senior QB, stud RB, experienced OL , experienced DL . His type of football : run the ball behind said OL , shorten game for maturing defense. Injuries and inconsistencies have derailed the plan . I agree with Lake ; he needs to strongly deny he's going anywhere or other coaches are going to feast on this .

watch the end of his presser. he shoots it down as emphatically as i think you'll get from Lovie Smith, complete with a classic Lovie bristle and eyeroll.

icengineer

Southern Illinois
Lovie is not a quitter. Someone is just looking for clickbait or being a troll. He has a lot more class then to leave after one year as our HC.