Champaign Urbana Construction Projects

Sure beats the old abandoned hospital that had been sitting there for 15+ years.
Burnham City Hospital! The place I was born :)

Don't know if you guys heard about this, but a 20 story building is going to be added next to 'the whopper' on Green Street...
Thanks for posting the rendering. The 307 Green has already been approved, but hey with 309 so far behind who knows when (if?) demolition/construction will be started.

Photos taken 6/17/2008

I Hotel and Conference Center
http://www.stayatthei.com/

Across the street from the Assembly Hall at First & St. Mary's Rd, this place is billing itself as the area's best conference center. Opening in August, with only 120+ units, it's all booked for most of the weekends of the year (and all football weekends).

M2 on Neil - Downtown Champaign
http://www.m2onneil.com/

According to the website, 41 of the 51 condo units are still available, and most of the retail space has been taken.

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Only 10 of the condo units have been sold at M2? Wow. They WAY overshot the market on that one! Too bad because it's a nice looking, high quality building.

Do you know what retail is going in there?

East Central IL
Only 10 of the condo units have been sold at M2? Wow. They WAY overshot the market on that one! Too bad because it's a nice looking, high quality building.

Do you know what retail is going in there?
Wouldn't surprise me to see a Walgreens in there. It wasn't enough that they oversaturated the market a couple years ago by opening FOUR stores in Champaign/Urbana within a year. Only their corporate culture would call for the kinds of excesses that Walgreens spends on new stores in fully saturated markets.

Photos taken 6/17/2008

I Hotel and Conference Center

Across the street from the Assembly Hall at First & St. Mary's Rd, this place is billing itself as the area's best conference center. Opening in August, with only 120+ units, it's all booked for most of the weekends of the year (and all football weekends).
Dan, while you were in the area, did you get a chance to see IMPE or ARC or whatever it is called these days? I'm curious if that project will be completed on time.

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
I've been by a few times, I think it essentially looks the same on the outside as the photo I took on Feb 29-

http://gct13.com/e/20080302/activities-and-recreation-center
Pretty close, but a LOT of work has gone on inside. I have a couple friends who've been given the tour and the inside is definitely closer to being completed. The climbing wall is up, locker rooms are done, and they are moving in all the exercise equipment/freeweights in there, now.

Thanks for the pics Dan.

Campustown has indeed changed a lot over the last 7 years that I've been in Champaign. Does anyone have campus pics (or CMI pics in general) from the 70s, 80s or 90s ?

Does anyone have campus pics (or CMI pics in general) from the 70s, 80s or 90s ?
smilepolitely.com found these photo sets on flickr-

* Champaign, 1975
* Urbana, 1975

Campustown sure has changed in the past 10 years, hasn't it?
Yes indeed. Also of note, Presby Hall, Newman Center, and the Business Instructional Facility will open this fall.

The new 619 S Wright building (formerly Cochrane's, Orchid, etc) is being built at the moment. This is what it will look like.

Finally, the new South Quad Tower (maybe)

They've started digging a big hole / foundation work on the South Quad. The site is directly east of the Mumford House. It's probably the new South Quad Carillon Tower, I first heard about it in this story. General info about the project here.

Finally, the new South Quad Tower (maybe)

They've started digging a big hole / foundation work on the South Quad. The site is directly east of the Mumford House. It's probably the new South Quad Carillon Tower, I first heard about it in this story. General info about the project here.
Funny how long it takes for projects like this to finally come to fruition. I have been hearing about the new South Quad bell tower for years! The story says they are starting construction now and it will be completed by the fall.

Anyway, scanning the internet I found a pic that shows the majority of the Burnham 310 redevelopment project. After the high-rise is complete, the developer should be starting on Phase 2 of the project which includes the 2-story row houses to the west and north of the Burnham building. Along with the new boneyard creek, downtown Champaign and campustown are really going to feel connected.

Thanks for posting those renderings oskeeorange, that Boneyard plan looks great.

South Quad Tower update, photo and blurb in today's News-Gazette, the tower and carillon will be 185 feet tall and contain 49 bells. It'd be nice to see a rendering.

OMG, that thing is ugly. I just don't see how that is supposed to "blend" with the surrounding UI architecture.

However, I am very, very excited to see the East-West Military Axis quad starting to fill in. I know the image is a little hard to see, but the yellow parts on the map are what the school expects to build in the coming years - creating what will be a beautiful new quad on the UI campus.

**A little off topic, how many stories is 185 feet?**

Last edited:
OMG, that thing is ugly. I just don't see how that is supposed to "blend" with the surrounding UI architecture.

However, I am very, very excited to see the East-West Military Axis quad starting to fill in. I know the image is a little hard to see, but the yellow parts on the map are what the school expects to build in the coming years - creating what will be a beautiful new quad on the UI campus.

**A little off topic, how many stories is 185 feet?**[/QUOTE]

Agree the tower is ugly. True that all the yellow parts are possible future additions, but the campus master plan is just that - a plan. Having been a part of the law school, I can say that the South Quad portion of that picture (the sidewalk x just north of the future tower) is being heavily considered for a new law school building that will essentially eat that entire square of green space. They are limited skywards by the Morrow Plot and so the idea seems to be to stretch the SQ. Just goes to show that, for as many exciting plans are on that master plan, there are probably a few dozen plans in the works that we do not know about.