Champaign Urbana Construction Projects

Chief Optimism Officer
Chicago
This is what happens when you try to "modernize" perfectly good Georgian Revival architecture. I think they were trying to combine the look of the new ACES library "silo" building and Mumford Hall/DKH and ended up failing miserably.
Trying to update the Georgian style to be consistent with contemporary design standards is not easy. Only a handful of buildings on campus have truly been successful (IMO).

With regard to ACES and this new bell tower, I might admire the architect's attempt to modernize the Georgian style. . . if they were actually successful. This is a pass/fail situation. There is no room for middle ground.

It makes me wonder if there is any design input from competent architects acting on the University's behalf (other than some of the schmo professors I had the misfortune of being taught by in the late 90's). It's no wonder the ratings for the UI Architecture program have plummeted in the past 10 years. We used to be Top 3 nationally (and No 1 for public), and now I think we're in the bottom portion of the Top 25. Sad, really. And this bell tower is a great example why.

Trying to update the Georgian style to be consistent with contemporary design standards is not easy. Only a handful of buildings on campus have truly been successful (IMO). .
I'm curious as to which buildings you think are successful.

J

Trying to update the Georgian style to be consistent with contemporary design standards is not easy. Only a handful of buildings on campus have truly been successful (IMO).
Which makes me wonder if the Board of Trustees should truly be the deciding factor on the design of some of these buildings.

There are design guildelines for new campus buildings for a reason. http://www.fs.uiuc.edu/PDFs/planning/guidelines5.pdf

Doesn't seem as though they are ever followed that closely (i.e. Chemical & Life Science Lab across the street from Krannert, Animal Science Lab across from Bevier, Digital Computer Lab) - all atrocious looking buildings from an architecture standpoint.

By far, the "best" new buildings on campus IMO are the campbell alumni center and institute for genomic biology, just for the mere fact that the architects made an attempt to blend modern design with a pseudo-Gregorian style.

Here are some other construction projects in the Champaign area. Not nearly as exciting as the various projects already being discussed but good in-fill projects no less for the city of Champaign.

North Neil: New Retail/Office space, right off of I-74. Will definitely help spruce up the area.

619 S Wright: New 5 story Retail/Office space behind Follets. *RIP Tonic/Orchid*

South Neil: What was once JBJ Fine Gifts is now being redeveloped into 'Whiteline Market' - a mixed use building that will include retail, office, and restaurant space on the ground floor with condos on the second floor

Woodridge, IL
I feel like I'm missing so much of Chambana... I confined myself to pretty much campus and then Prospect and Neil to the Wal-Marts and the mall.

Next semester, I'm going to do some exploring cause I feel absolutely clueless about some of the spots you guys are talking about.

Can someone explain me how this works ? For the last month, I've been seeing hardly 10-20 ppl working whenever I pass by that bldg. Why didn't they double the manpower to speed up the construction work ? Is it to do with money or is it the shortage of skilled workers in the wake of so many construction projects in the CU area ? Wouldn't they have to spend a lot of money now to arrange temporary leases for the tenants ?

Illini Foot Soldier
Can someone explain me how this works ? For the last month, I've been seeing hardly 10-20 ppl working whenever I pass by that bldg. Why didn't they double the manpower to speed up the construction work ? Is it to do with money or is it the shortage of skilled workers in the wake of so many construction projects in the CU area ? Wouldn't they have to spend a lot of money now to arrange temporary leases for the tenants ?
For the 4 years I was in Champaign, I saw multiple buildings go up and in the 4 years since I've been gone, even more buildings have gone up. I honestly think the stadium might be the first to even come close to opening on time.

I walked by the 309 last night and there were people working on it around 10 at night. I'm not sure if they have all the floors up yet but it sure doesnt look like it will be ready in 4 more weeks either.

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
It's interesting going down I-57 now how you can see all these new buildings popping up out on the horizon over the cornfields, some with cranes perched perilously on top. It makes for some semblance of a skyline now, and brings just a wee bit more urbanity to this once quaint college town.

Admin
I walked by the 309 last night and there were people working on it around 10 at night. I'm not sure if they have all the floors up yet but it sure doesnt look like it will be ready in 4 more weeks either.
It's not topped-off yet, got a few more floors to go before it's taller than the Tower on Third. They said in one of the articles that the lower floors would in fact be rented in August while work is ongoing to finish up the top of the building. We shall see how that goes...

Admin
South Quad Bell Tower under construction

July 15, 2008

Admin
I wondered if that boom I heard today was an accident. From the new parking deck being built next to the M2 building-

Crane accident won't delay parking deck in Champaign

A cable broke Thursday afternoon on a 175-ton hydraulic crane at the site of a city parking deck on Hill Street, causing minor injuries and damages to the crane.
Advertisement

Steve Rhoades, a superintendent with English Brothers Company, said the crane was pulling in its boom after 3 p.m. when a cable snapped, dropping a "headache ball" – a steel ball with a hook on the bottom – weighing several hundred pounds. Either the ball or the cable slashed a tire on the crane, causing a loud boom, Rhoades said.
http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2008/07/17/crane_accident_wont_delay_parking_deck

I'm wondering why they didn't move the Mumford House before starting construction on the bell tower. It was supposed to be moved to south farms.

Campustown Construction updates from the City of Champaign

http://www.ci.champaign.il.us/departments/2008/07/17/campustown-projects-update-6/

507 E. Green St.
Construction activities at this location are on schedule. Foundation work, underground utility site work, steel erection, exterior wall framing, concrete floor slabs and window installations are complete. Brick and limestone masonry work is underway and will be completed by the end of July. Due to streetscape work in the area, the sidewalk has been temporarily closed. This work will be completed by the end of July and the sidewalks will be reopened for pedestrian use at this time. Urban Outfitters has an estimated open date of August 15. The University of Illinois will begin to move into office spaces beginning on August 1 and will continue to do so throughout the month. A seven story office building has been erected at this site. The project has required a temporary lane closure on Green Street. This lane will be reopened to vehicle traffic by mid-August. Also, a dumpster and enclosure have been placed in two parking meter spaces on Sixth Street. These will be removed by mid-August as well. The project is still expected to be completed by August 2008.

310 E. Springfield (Burnham 310)
According to the job superintendent, Todd King, concrete slabs have been poured for the roof deck on the high rise portion of the project (adjacent to Springfield Avenue). Structural stud work is complete through the 18th floor. Windows installations and the finished exterior skin will be completed by the end of next week. This high rise section will rise to a total of 17 floors. The low rise portion of the project (adjacent to Third Street) has been trimmed out (cabinets installed, finishing, etc.). This western section rises 5 floors. The parking deck is being formed and poured. Streetscape work in the area will begin in August and will take approximately 3-4 weeks to complete. Sanitary and storm utility work are underway in Stoughton Street. Pavement work for this street will begin in late August. The project is expected to be completed by October 2008.
Also, foundation construction work is underway at the Niemann Foods grocery store site, directly east of the Burnham 310 building. Masonry walls and steel are being erected. This project is expected to be completed by Thanksgiving 2008.

604 E. Armory (Newman Center)
River City Construction and related contractors are working on drywall finishes, plumbing, and mechanical and electrical installations. Interior finishes including painting, floor covering, and tiling are finished for the upper floors. Final touches on the first floor and basement are being performed. Exterior building brickwork has been completed. Miscellaneous brick work such as the planter walls and courtyard are still being constructed. Streetscape and landscaping work are underway. Sidewalks adjacent to the new building will be open by the time University of Illinois classes commence. The sidewalk adjacent to the renovated older building (to the south) might still be closed for a few weeks into classes due to streetscape work. This building is still set for a completion date of mid-August 2008 when students will begin to occupy the facility.

405 E. John (McKinley Foundation)
Stevens Construction has indicated that the footing walls and foundation for this 8 story building have been completed. Steel erection and interior floor slabs have also been completed. Roofing and interior stud framing have been completed. Drywall throughout the building will be completed by the end of the week. Exterior brickwork will be completed in 2-3 weeks. Also, streetscape work will begin by Friday and will be completed in approximately 2-3 weeks. Sidewalks will be opened by August 15. The project still has an expected completion date of August 2008.

309 E. Green (University Towers)
The twenty-first floor of the new superstructure has been completed and concrete and framing for the twenty-second floor is in progress. Broeren Russo expects to have occupancy through the first 16 floors by August 2008. The next 8 floors (17 through 24) are expected to be completed by Thanksgiving 2008. Throughout the summer, the sidewalks and pedestrian walkways have been closed in order to complete fa?ade, concrete, and streetscape work. During this time, the area has been closed to through foot traffic. The pedestrian walkway around the project will be reopened by August 15 to facilitate pedestrian traffic. By early September, the streetscape will be completed and the sidewalk and lane of traffic will be reopened.

Admin
Thanks for the update link oskeeorange.

I got unofficial word that the crane at 309 E Green will be jumped (raised) tomorrow (Sunday July 20th).