Champaign Urbana Construction Projects

16-story building planned for Fourth and Green

But the stand-out feature would be the automated parking system proposed for the building.

Cars would enter the garage from Fourth Street, then be moved by elevators to "parking vaults" on the second, third and fourth floors where drivers would not be allowed.

There would be no parking ramps, less space between cars because the car doors don't open, and less ceiling height because people don't need to walk on those floors, developers say.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/bu...-story-building-planned-fourth-and-green.html

sweeeet...Green Street is gonna look way different when I'm a senior. I remember when they built 309 and 310 Burnham, all the new buildings seemed to pop up at once. Now it looks like the same thing is happening again with these 3 big projects.

16-story building planned for Fourth and Green

But the stand-out feature would be the automated parking system proposed for the building.

Cars would enter the garage from Fourth Street, then be moved by elevators to "parking vaults" on the second, third and fourth floors where drivers would not be allowed.

There would be no parking ramps, less space between cars because the car doors don't open, and less ceiling height because people don't need to walk on those floors, developers say.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/bus...and-green.html
Great! Until a glitch in the system fails to deliver your car. :D

All these high rise apartments are getting kind of ridiculous. This 27 story one will be at 4th and Green, a 14 story building at 6th and Green, and a 12 story hotel/apartment building across the street in Lot J next to Legends, this in addition to Burnham and 309 Green. Are they still planning the smaller building next to 309?

I was unaware there was such a demand, let alone enough students who can actually afford these apartments.
Students coming out with record debt, and yet some still appear to have deep enough pockets for these expensive apartments.

Chillicothe, IL
Something tells me that's a Venn diagram where the circles don't intersect.
Agreed. I'd be curious to see the breakdown of college expenses covered by the parents vs those covered by the students themselves for a sample in those "high-end" apartments against a sample in a median or low-end apartment.

Orange Krush Class of 2013
Stanford, CA
My guess is that a lot of the demand for those apartments comes from the international students. Not all of them, but a number are able to drive around campus in BMWs and Audis, and those students are probably not living in cheap housing after they're out of the dorms.

4th & Chalmers, a few years ago...Now? Weeki Wach
Wow, that looks weird. I signed up for the draft, 1980, at that post office. 20th b-day, staggered down from my apt, hung as a dog. Me and a couple buddies lived in the apt complex at 2nd and Healy during the summer. 4 stories, is that still there? Kinda looks like the complex in front of the big building...

Last edited:
So Lincoln Hall got a makeover...used to study in some of the class rooms at night, beat the hell out of the library...

So anyway, me and 2 buddies are walking home from T-Birds one Sat night (Mar 31st, 1978 to be exact). Drunk as chit and pitch black. Cut through between Lincoln and Greg Halls, lived in Lundgren Hall, basement (anybody remember Lundgren? Corner of 4th and Gregory, old as chit, with a manhole into the steam tunnels under our floor). We're goofing around, my buddy pushes me, I trip and fall face first on a ledge jutting out of Lincoln Hall. A broken nose and 20 stitches later (from the old student health care on Lincoln Ave.), good to go.

The next day (not morning!), wake up, I guess about 1. April fools day. Whole side of my face is swollen to beat the band, finally get hungry about dinner time. We ate in the Forbes Hall cafeteria. The looks I got! "WTF happened to you?" And of course, the requisite response..."You should see the other guy!"

Ahh, the good old days...:thumb::thumb::thumb:

First post :chief:...just wanted to post a few updates on the construction for those who don't live in C/U.

The Ihop & Campus Liquors have finally been razed to make way for the 308 E Green building: http://ci.champaign.il.us/cms/wp-co...d-Development-Application-4-2-13-Drawings.pdf

Unfortunately, no update as to when JSM will start work on Parking Lot J (between Legends & Chipotle). However I did find the following images/plan of the planned mixed-used complex (apartments, hotel, retail, & parking deck). I also find it interesting that JSM is already leasing space for this complex even though construction has not yet started. http://ci.champaign.il.us/cms/wp-co...velopment-for-Campus-Center-Parking-Lot-J.pdf (starts on pg 45)

And lastly, the Bankier apartment complex is going up quite fast at the corner of 6th & green (519 E Green). I would guess the construction is on pace to be completed/ready on time for their goal of August 2014.

Happy to see Champaign coming out of the recession with some new construction in campustown. :hailtotheorange:

Peoria via Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque vi
Wow, $850 per person for the location on 6th and green. It was less than 10 years ago I was living on the corner of 5th and Healey, paying I believe around $400 per person. Great spot by the way, about a half a block walk to Legends.

Wow, $850 per person for the location on 6th and green. It was less than 10 years ago I was living on the corner of 5th and Healey, paying I believe around $400 per person. Great spot by the way, about a half a block walk to Legends.
I paid $430 a person at 5th and Healey 3 yrs ago. Green st rents in these new building have been $800+ when I was there

Peoria via Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque vi
I paid $430 a person at 5th and Healey 3 yrs ago. Green st rents in these new building have been $800+ when I was there
Wow. All the power to the kids that can get their parents to pony up the money, but this reminds me of when my girlfriend at the time (now wife) lived in Bromley her first year on campus. They paid more for her to live in the bigger room with a shared bedroom, but she honestly couldn't stand the people she lived with. Much happier once she moved into the six-pack with the "general population".

Wow. All the power to the kids that can get their parents to pony up the money, but this reminds me of when my girlfriend at the time (now wife) lived in Bromley her first year on campus. They paid more for her to live in the bigger room with a shared bedroom, but she honestly couldn't stand the people she lived with. Much happier once she moved into the six-pack with the "general population".
my first apt in 1980 was on Oak & Daniel , about a block west of first, near the tracks. there was a small redi mix plant right there. anyway, we had a fairly new small 4 bedroom unit, with tiny rooms for each guy, and we shared one bathroom. we split rent 4 ways and it was $120 each per month.

my one son is at Ole Miss, and he is in one of these newer student apts that are all over various campuses, where its basically two decent sized bedrooms, each with their own bathroom and lockable bed room door. you are only responsible for your own rent. its 650 per person. its nice, but I wouldnt call it living large.

800 per month is not cheap, but if it is set up where you are only responisble for that, and not the other rooms, getting a 7th story unit right on Green st isnt too bad.

college is not cheap. it actually used to be, and that was why back in the 60's-90's you were foolish to not go. Today, that axiom is no longer true for many.

Yeah I think bromley is in the neighborhood of 14/15k a yr now if I'm not mistaken? Yes lots of kids parents pony up a lot of dough 309 was around a grand a piece a few yrs ago

my first apt in 1980 was on Oak & Daniel , about a block west of first, near the tracks. there was a small redi mix plant right there. anyway, we had a fairly new small 4 bedroom unit, with tiny rooms for each guy, and we shared one bathroom. we split rent 4 ways and it was $120 each per month.

my one son is at Ole Miss, and he is in one of these newer student apts that are all over various campuses, where its basically two decent sized bedrooms, each with their own bathroom and lockable bed room door. you are only responsible for your own rent. its 650 per person. its nice, but I wouldnt call it living large.

800 per month is not cheap, but if it is set up where you are only responisble for that, and not the other rooms, getting a 7th story unit right on Green st isnt too bad.

college is not cheap. it actually used to be, and that was why back in the 60's-90's you were foolish to not go. Today, that axiom is no longer true for many.
Gil, you were right down the street from my buddies, they were in a big old house at 1006 S Oak, basically Oak and Chalmers...same time frame...

San Bernardino, Ca.
Wow, I lived in an apt. at 908 W. Nevada for two years from 75-76. Over the years the University has bought most of the properties along Nevada St. and torn them down to build offices, parking lots, and classrooms. 908 was the last building standing.
I was back in CU last fall, and much to my dismay, the University had finally torn down my old apartment building as well.
I suppose that's progress, but man do I have a lot of fond memories of that place.