Champaign Urbana Construction Projects

Orange Krush Class of 2013
Stanford, CA
It looked like they were getting ready to do that, there were some crane pieces on the ground when i drove by earlier.

Admin
Officials confident -- but cautious -- about Lincoln Hall renovation

The planning and design phase of the project should wrap up by the end of this month, and come Aug. 25, when the UI fall semester starts, classes will be held in places like Wohlers Hall and Smith Memorial Music Hall instead of Lincoln Hall.

The state has released the $5 million for the planning phase, but the additional $55 million estimated for the building's renovation looks unlikely this year after the Legislature failed to pass a capital bill.
http://www.news-gazette.com/news/lo...but_cautious_--_about_lincoln_hall_renovation

As far as the bell tower, it may look a little better in real life since the brick will create more of a pattern and texture (they show it as a solid color). However, I think the design is still really plain. I wish they would have at least incorporated stone accents with the brick to give it more dimension.

On the other hand, I am thrilled that the University appears to be directing more attention to the South Quad and so-called Military axis. I think the removal of the remaining segment of Laredo Taft Drive and coverting the Military axis to a park-like setting will have a dramatic and positive effect on the entire south side off campus.

A related question: I understand that the University has already commenced moving the Mumford barn and chicken coop further south to make way for the Research Park expansion and to form an ACES welcome center south of campus. However, Mumford House located on the south quad next to the new bell tower is also supposed to be moved to the welcome center site.

Does anyone know what the current status is for the Mumford house move? Removing the Mumford house from the south quad is a key component to improving the appearance of the south quad because it is completely out of context and character in relation to the larger surrounding buildings. Any info would be appreciated!

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
I don't know when they plan to move Mumford House but it would be nice if after they move it they could put some money into rehabbing it. It's the oldest building on campus and thus deserving of some attention. It wouldn't take but $30-40,000 to bring it up to close to it's original condition.

As for Lincoln Hall, it's needed extensive renovation for decades now. It's nice they are finally doing a planning phase but with the status of the state budget, unless some wealthy alum steps up to donate money to the project I think it will still be sitting on the drawing board for some time.

Admin
Photo I took during tonight's big storm shows the post-jumped height of the 309 E Green crane, plus Burnham and Tower on Third all in relation to each other.

Anyone know how many more floors to go on 309 E Green?

http://gct13.com/e/20080721/champaign-thunderstorm

Last edited:
Photo I took during tonight's big storm shows the post-jumped height of the 309 E Green crane, plus Burnham and Tower on Third all in relation to each other.

Anyone know how many more floors to go on 309 E Green?
Nice pic Dan. I guess 3 more floors to go.

Admin
Build-out construction is expected to begin this September in the new Gregory Place East building for the University of Illinois School of Social Work.

The school, which currently has offices and classrooms in three different buildings on Oregon Street in Urbana, will eventually occupy more than 30,000 square feet of space in the multi-use building on the east side of campus. The building, at 300 S. Gregory St., U, will house the school, apartments, a Provena Medical Group clinic and retail.
UI Social Work building construction set to start in September

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Nice lightning pic, Dan! The 309 Green building is supposed to have 24 floors. I'm not sure how many are completed now but they must be getting close to it.

I don't know when they plan to move Mumford House but it would be nice if after they move it they could put some money into rehabbing it. It's the oldest building on campus and thus deserving of some attention. It wouldn't take but $30-40,000 to bring it up to close to it's original condition.
I'm sure that when they move the Mumford House to the ACES Welcome Center location, it will be remodeled for its new use. Right now it is unusable in its current condition. I believe the main idea is to use these buildings to show off the history and architecture of Illinois agriculture while serving as a functional Welcoming Center for the public.

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Theres an old house sitting on stilts/rafters on St. Mary's around Goodwin I think, close to the softball fields. Anybody know what that thing is? It looks like it could be from about the same time frame as the Mumford house. I assume they have plans for it somewhere. I usually run down St. Marys during the school year and I always wondered what it was.

Illini Foot Soldier
Theres an old house sitting on stilts/rafters on St. Mary's around Goodwin I think, close to the softball fields. Anybody know what that thing is? It looks like it could be from about the same time frame as the Mumford house. I assume they have plans for it somewhere. I usually run down St. Marys during the school year and I always wondered what it was.
I believe what you are talking about is the house in front of the Round Barns at the top of that big hill.

Iowa Corridor
That's the Horse Barn, it was moved to make room for the tennis center expansion.

http://illiniathletics.blogspot.com/2008/07/memorial-stadium-and-champaign-photos.html

here are some pictures I took yesterday, there are couple of the horse barn, along with some of campustown and the stadium.

Admin
The big tower crane at Burnham 310 will be coming down Monday and Tuesday.

Admin
Article on the renovated 34 E Main St (corner of Walnut) in Downtown Champaign, one of the oldest buildings in the area. I believe the building used to be known as the Enterprise Building, but that isn't mentioned in the article.

Champaign apartment living - $1200 per month!

Restoration project gives new life to an old downtown building

The building has undergone an eight-month, $1.2 million renovation that has taken it from a downtown eyesore to a restored Italianate gem.

On the ground floor of the building, which is not quite finished, Youngerman would like to land a restaurant/bar as a tenant, or possibly higher-end retail. The ground floor encompasses 1,800 square feet of space, plus another 1,000 square feet in the basement. Barr Real Estate is the leasing agent.

Novak said she isn't sure of the exact age of the building but believes it dates from between the 1870s and 1890s. Novak is chairwoman of the Urbana Historic Preservation Commission.
http://www.news-gazette.com/news/lo...ct_gives_new_life_to_an_old_downtown_building

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
This is the one surrounded by parking lot across the street from Skins & Tins, correct? It's a nice looking building now. They really did a nice job. But $1,200 per month in Champaign?! Some people must REALLY like their urban living.

Also, I went by the new belltower construction site the other day. Wow! It's already rising up a good 40 feet or more. Hopefully it will look better in person than in the renderings as someone mentioned before.

Admin
This is the one surrounded by parking lot across the street from Skins & Tins, correct? It's a nice looking building now. They really did a nice job. But $1,200 per month in Champaign?! Some people must REALLY like their urban living.
If you want to be right in downtown Champaign there's not much out there, so you gotta pay a premium especially for these newly-renovated spaces.

The Hickory apartments, up a bit on Washington St, are fully leased. Most units are 4-figures.

There are a few other renovated spaces opening up soon, some are listed here.

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
I've seen those. I've actually been inside several of the units and many of the others in downtown Champaign. They are all very nice, with high quality finishes, high ceilings, etc. I'm wondering how much demand is still out there for such units. I understand the condo market has been hit the hardest with the housing downturn (even though it's been less pronounced in C-U as compared to elsewhere), and they've had a hard time selling a lot of units in the new M2 building.

Admin
Have you seen the interior of the renovations of the building at Neil and Main, across the street from Guidos?