Champaign Urbana Construction Projects

Admin
I've got a few...coming soon :)

Admin
7/28/2008

309 E Green

Burnham 310

The grocery store is being built on the corner of Fourth and Springfield.

507 E Green - the Urban Outfitters Building

Presby Hall

Newman Center

619 S Wright

M2 on Neil

The Hill St city parking lot is being building behind M2.

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Presby, Newman, M2, and Urban Outfitters look nice. Burnham is just hideous. 309 Green looks like it's about ready to top out. It makes the skyline look funny with the two tallest buildings in C-U on the very same block.

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Have you seen the interior of the renovations of the building at Neil and Main, across the street from Guidos?
You are talking about the building that had Periscope at one time (and SolTec, and Nic's Basketcase)? I have not been in that one.

Thanks for the update! Truly amazing the transformation Champaign has taken over the last 10 years, hell even the last 2 years.

They (whoever they may be) need to make buildings like the Gameday shop and Jerusalem/Kinkos building in Campustown multi-storied, multi-function buildings. They are both great locations that have tons of potential but are both under utilized.

Looks like the 309 might possibly be finished in time. I think the top 2 floors are unleased and will be finished during the semester. I wanna say that leases start the 21st or 22nd. I talked to a friend living there but I can't remember.

Illini Foot Soldier
Looks like the 309 might possibly be finished in time. I think the top 2 floors are unleased and will be finished during the semester. I wanna say that leases start the 21st or 22nd. I talked to a friend living there but I can't remember.
I'd put money on 309 not being done until late Sept.

Admin
They (whoever they may be) need to make buildings like the Gameday shop and Jerusalem/Kinkos building in Campustown multi-storied, multi-function buildings. They are both great locations that have tons of potential but are both under utilized.
Yes, and I'd like to see the Colonial Pantry on Fourth and Green (where nothing good ever happens) eliminated and replaced with a real development.

Illini Foot Soldier
Yes, and I'd like to see the Colonial Pantry on Fourth and Green (where nothing good ever happens) eliminated and replaced with a real development.
As long as there is still an IHOP there. Sometimes you just need bacon at 4am.

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Not to mention that old National City location on the south side of Green.

Iowa Corridor
I've ranted about this on the other sites..

I'd love to see 6th street built up... 4-6 story buildings from Healey to John (at least)

Its great too see the improved spatial definition throughout Green Street... less open expanses and more of an "outdoor room" feel... hopefully the new towers further down the street will spur more infill between 4th and the Railroad.

The 309 Burnham building might look kinda trendy for a couple years, but it is NOT going to age well... which is too bad.

Admin
UI's IMPE to complete transformation to ARC on Aug. 21

It's ARC, the Activities and Recreation Center. And there are four levels of things to do here: work out on cardio equipment, run around the new track, join a spinning class, even lounge in the sauna, on a couch in front of a flat screen TV or at the cafe.

After a $54 million face-lift, you could say a radical one, the new building officially opens on the University of Illinois' move-in day, Aug. 21.

The campus building, which first opened in 1971, has gone from roughly 210,000 to 340,000 square feet. Administrators have called the project an expansion and renovation.

"We've basically gone up and out," said Jayne DeLuce, an associate director at the UI Division of Campus Recreation.

Under construction since March 2006, the building's previously renovated east wing remained opened with basketball courts and a small fitness center. That area is called Gym 1, and it contains five basketball courts and a multi-activity area.
http://illinihq.com/news/misc/2008/08/10/uis_impe_to_complete_transformation_to_arc_on_aug_21

That's a winner!!
OH
Wow, only a year later than they told me my freshman year. They said I'd get to enjoy it...

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
That's right: a 23-person, coed sauna.
:D

I can't wait till it opens. I just hope they haven't wussed up the workout areas like they did at WIMPE (it will always be WIMPE to me).

The Burnham 310 development really angers me. This was not the product of free capitalism gone wild; rather, this was the product of much deliberation by the Champaign City council. They could have accomplished something much better than what we ended up with.

Not only will there be a giant wall of a building that will forever mar the landscape of the City, but what also bothers me is that this started out as something much different. Look at these early pictures (for example)...

http://www.apartmentfinder.com/details.aspx?aptid=219943

...actually a reasonably attractive building. However, through a series of modifications (each time taking a step down) after receiving City approval (and after squeazing even more money from the City) we have what we have now.

It is not like the Burnham site was so undesirable that the City had to take whatever they could get. The corner of Fourth and Springfield is only a few blocks from campus and would have eventually been developed. I am all for developing the site, but the City absolutely settled for something much less than they could have achieved.

Very unfortunate!!!

On a different note, I am generally happy with the other developments on campus.

belIeve
The south quad tower continues to rise.
Looking west:

Looking almost north:

Admin
Thanks mdeming. That sucker is going up quick.

Orange Krush Class of 2013
Stanford, CA
Yep took that one after I dropped off a few books at the drive up. Man that thing is cool! Too bad i had the camera left on 0.3 megapixel mode instead of 7.

Admin
Delays force Champaign high-rises to postpone move-ins

309 E. Green St
A 24-story tower going up on the site of a former Burger King restaurant, hence its nickname, the “Whopper.” Developers are trying to get a partial-occupancy permit by Sept. 5 for the first 16 floors, which include seven levels of parking, a multipurpose level and eight residential floors. The upper floors won’t be ready until January.

Burnham 310
An 18-story, 259-unit loft-apartment development at the former site of Burnham Hospital at Springfield Avenue and Third Street in Champaign. The building was two-thirds leased, but developers announced last month they would postpone move-in until it can be finished in mid-October, rather than attempting partial occupancy now. Tenants were sent to three other apartment buildings and will be compensated for the inconvenience, said Theresa Kamerer, property manager for Burnham 310.

Presby Hall
The McKinley Foundation’s seven-story residence hall near Fifth and John streets in Champaign opened today, about a week late. It failed inspections on Friday but received a conditional occupancy permit this week allowing students to move in while non-critical inspection items are addressed, officials said. McKinley found accommodations for a handful of international students who’d planned to move in Sunday, but most students simply delayed their arrival until today, officials said.

54 E. Chalmers, C
A five-story apartment building. Garry Bowman, building safety supervisor for the city of Champaign, said developers must finish installing exterior blocks before students can move in, but delivery of the material was delayed.

A fifth project, an expansion of Newman Hall, passed final inspection a week late but is ready for occupancy, Bowman said.
http://www.news-gazette.com/news/lo...rce_champaign_high-rises_to_postpone_move-ins