Chicago Bears 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ryan Pace is getting killed in the press today, and I hated the trade up at the time, but after some reflection I like it more and more.

Without a QB none of the other positions matter. This was obviously Ryan Pace's guy and he did what he felt he had to do to get him. He might have been taken advantage of by the 49ers, but good on them for improving themselves. We will likely never know the truth but can rest assured that there were calls being made by other teams to move up.

The Bears still have plenty of rounds left in this draft to address their other needs and Glennon should be a good mentor for TruRisky.

I agree with all of this. If you've got your QB you are on your way. I get that those third and fourth round draft picks create depth on your roster, but that's the kind of depth you can address with free agency. Let's face it, this is a big risk. I think it's a risk well worth taking though. I look at it this way. If you had a baseball team and played one game a week and could start the same SP every game, how important would it be to have an elite SP. The QB position in today's NFL is so critical. Getting your QB through free agency is relying on complete incompetence of another team somewhere. If you are an elite QB the team that has you just doesn't let go.

All the armchair analysis is kinda frustrating. There are two relevant questions:

1. Did the trade up to 2 need to be made at all/at that price?

2. Will Trubisky be good?

#1 is unknowable to everyone but John Lynch and he's not telling. And QB projection is such a mystery that everyone's takes today basically sidestep #2.

Being an NFL consumer is loaded with this kind of stuff. Part of the reason why I pay less and less attention. But hey, I hope the kid can play.

All the armchair analysis is kinda frustrating. There are two relevant questions:

#1 is unknowable to everyone but John Lynch and he's not telling. And QB projection is such a mystery that everyone's takes today basically sidestep #2.

Being an NFL consumer is loaded with this kind of stuff. Part of the reason why I pay less and less attention. But hey, I hope the kid can play.

You don't like armchair analysis and you have almost 7,00 posts on loyalty? How does that work? :)

Part of my issue is there doesn't seem to be any coherence to the Bears moves this offseason. Half their moves seem to be that of a team that thinks it's competing this year and half seem to be of a team that knows it's years away.

So, I can't tell what Pace thinks of this team, but the trade and pick yesterday were the acts of a team that thinks it's just a qb and a couple tweaks from competing in the next couple years.

On the other hand, I, and I think the vast majority of outside observers, see a team that's nowhere near competing and somewhere between likely and certain to be picking in the top 5 again next year.

If we're right, the much more logical path would be to keep your picks and take a qb in round 2. If the 2nd round pick or Glennon don't hit, you can draft your franchise guy next year when there's supposedly a much better QB class headlined by the two kids from the L.A. schools.

ILL in IA

Iowa City

Really 2 parts to #1 here. And you are correct, only Lynch will know if the deal needed to be made. The second part of it is if they over paid. I'm a believer you can never over pay for a good QB, but that will be seen in the future. But if you go off of the "pick value chart" that seems to be universal now with all organizations, the Bears seemed to pay the asking price to move up from 3 to 2. They talked about this early on Spiegel and Parkens on 670 today. The difference in value of the 2nd and 3rd pick is about 400 pts on the magical chart. The draft picks the Bears gave up this year didn't equal 400 pts on that chart. That's why the pick for next year got added.
So I don't think they gave up to much to get the #2 pick. And we can't say they would have got him at #3. Teams were moving up last night to get a QB, so its logical to think someone else COULD have moved up to 2.

Either way, this is the first time in a while that I've had a strong reaction either way to anything the Bears have done.

One report I heard indicated the Bears were getting several calls for their #3 pick. If that were true, it might explain their reasoning to pay such a high price, anticipating SF was also listening to calls for the #2 pick.

I still feel they overpaid, but if true, helps,explain the price.

One report I heard indicated the Bears were getting several calls for their #3 pick. If that were true, it might explain their reasoning to pay such a high price, anticipating SF was also listening to calls for the #2 pick.

I still feel they overpaid, but if true, helps,explain the price.

Nothing explains what the bears did last night.

jmwillini

Tolono, IL
Really like the trade down here. Almost recoups the picks from last night.

As far as Trubisky, it's been interesting me to see the Bears fans reaction to the Trubisky pick. While I will agree that the Bears overpaid to get him, barring any injuries or Glennon underperfoming this season, Trubisky is likely not your starter til week 1 of the 2018 season at the earliest.

Plus if Glennon flames out, they have an opt out after the 2017 season that only costs them $4.5 million in dead money against the cap.

As far as Trubisky, it's been interesting me to see the Bears fans reaction to the Trubisky pick. While I will agree that the Bears overpaid to get him, barring any injuries or Glennon underperfoming this season, Trubisky is likely not your starter til week 1 of the 2018 season at the earliest.

Plus if Glennon flames out, they have an opt out after the 2017 season that only costs them $4.5 million in dead money against the cap.

And when you trade a million picks to move up to number 2, that is the problem. Especially when you could have had him at your original pick, ONE PICK LATER. If Trubisky isn't there at 3, you draft an immediate impact guy, because let's face it, the bears suck, and any player they draft that isn't a complete reach like the guy they took, would have helped immediately.

Ubermensch

BOOM! Feed my ego.
Either Ryan Pace is a genius or the biggest sports idiot since Isaiah Thomas (Det).

And when you trade a million picks to move up to number 2, that is the problem. Especially when you could have had him at your original pick, ONE PICK LATER. If Trubisky isn't there at 3, you draft an immediate impact guy, because let's face it, the bears suck, and any player they draft that isn't a complete reach like the guy they took, would have helped immediately.

They would not have been able to get him at 2. San Fran was reportedly fielding calls from Cleveland and KC for that pick.

The Bears do not need to have Trubisky be their starter. In fact, I'd prefer he sit and hold a clip board this season and only start if Glennon performs poorly or both Glennon and Sanchez are injured.

They would not have been able to get him at 2. San Fran was reportedly fielding calls from Cleveland and KC for that pick.

The Bears do not need to have Trubisky be their starter. In fact, I'd prefer he sit and hold a clip board this season and only start if Glennon performs poorly or both Glennon and Sanchez are injured.

You don't mortgage the farm and draft a QB #2 overall to hold a clipboard.

Either Ryan Pace is a genius or the biggest sports idiot since Isaiah Thomas (Det).

Zero possibility of Pace being a genius, even if Trubisky becomes an All-Pro. He gave away 3 picks to move up one spot for a player who was going to be there at 3. No other team was moving to number 2 to pick him!

You do have him hold the clipboard his first season when the expected starting QB you have allows you to allow your rookie first round pick to develop into the QB that you want him to be.

You don't do what the bears did to wait for a player to develop.

homesickalien

Springfield
You don't do what the bears did to wait for a player to develop.

How much you wanna bet? Glennon is the starter this year. After that it's all open and the reins will probably be passed but it isn't happening this year unless Glennon just completely tanks which I don't see happening.

How much you wanna bet? Glennon is the starter this year. After that it's all open and the reins will probably be passed but it isn't happening this year unless Glennon just completely tanks which I don't see happening.

that is the problem

that is the problem

So lemme get this straight. You'd rather start a rookie QB who needs time to develop and learn how to play the toughest position in the NFL on the fly rather than have him sit on the bench for a year behind a starting QB who was always likely going to be the bridge guy and one year placeholder in Mike Glennon?

So lemme get this straight. You'd rather start a rookie QB who needs time to develop and learn how to play the toughest position in the NFL on the fly rather than have him sit on the bench for a year behind a starting QB who was always likely going to be the bridge guy and one year placeholder in Mike Glennon?

Not at all. I'd rather not draft a guy that I traded a million picks for to move up one spot who would still have been available at my original spot who is not ready to play immediately. Number 1 and 2 overall picks are for guys that will come in and make immediate impacts, not guys who have to be planned on to sit out for a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.