Chicago Bears 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Love the timing, like Nagy's pedigree, and really like that it appears the Bears are trying to keep Fangio.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
Man am I unimpressed. Is this really the best guy out there, or are the Bears trying to get a good coach on the cheap again?

Man am I unimpressed. Is this really the best guy out there, or are the Bears trying to get a good coach on the cheap again?

I’m not exactly doing backflips over the hire, but I also don’t see a clearly better candidate out there. It’s a really conventional hire of a coach that is going to mesh far better with the GM than the last coach.

It’s really going to come down to putting together a good staff and giving him some talent.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Just like the draft, we won't know for a few years if this was a good hire or not. It was a very quick and decisive hiring. What I like is that this is clearly Pace's show now and Fox isn't there as a shield anymore. Now get some better offensive talent!

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL

He was O.C. for a team with the leading rusher in the league and the QB with the league's best passer rating. He took over play calling duties from Andy Reid and the Chiefs' offense improved. And, he's a big fan of Trubisky. What more do you really want?

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
He was O.C. for a team with the leading rusher in the league and the QB with the league's best passer rating. He took over play calling duties from Andy Reid and the Chiefs' offense improved. And, he's a big fan of Trubisky. What more do you really want?

There are currently 6 head coaches in the NFL who have coached under Andy Reid. Matt Nagy was referred to by Reid as the best head coaching candidate he's ever had coach for him... So...

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL

Experience.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
This is what I get working all day, I had no idea that they already hired Nagy. As was said, we won't know for a while if this is a good thing. I do like Fangio, if they do keep him, that would be a bonus.

Experience.

How about John Fox? Seriously though, I don’t see any candidates out there with experience and tremendous track records. I like the hire. Getting a head coach with a great resume is like saying go get a QB with a great track record. They aren’t available because the teams that get them don’t let them go. Gotta find your own. Like the direction Pace has the team heading.

I hope Reid took it back during the second half on Saturday. Great running back barely touched the ball with an 18 point lead.

You wanted to fire up the NFL Retread Machine again? Hardest possible pass.

I wonder if Jim Tomsula was interested. Maybe Jim Schwartz. Greg Schiano?

Seriously though, I probably would have rolled my eyes at it, but Jim Caldwell would have been an interesting hire. I have to imagine some team is going to bring him in as a HC.

ChazzReinhold

Mom! The Meatloaf!
I wonder if Jim Tomsula was interested. Maybe Jim Schwartz. Greg Schiano?

Seriously though, I probably would have rolled my eyes at it, but Jim Caldwell would have been an interesting hire. I have to imagine some team is going to bring him in as a HC.

No, you didn't write Jim Tomsula did you?

No, you didn't write Jim Tomsula did you?

Don't worry, those first three were playing off the joke of the "NFL Retread Machine". Just trying to show that there are plenty of guys that "have experience" that probably should have never gotten said experience.

I'm not sure what to think of the hire but I'm intrigued nonetheless. If nothing else, KC's offense did some things that Trubisky can do as well and Nagy will have time to develop him.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
You wanted to fire up the NFL Retread Machine again? Hardest possible pass.

There are sooooo many other good coordinators out there with good systems that have had the job (solo) for more than a season. Frank Reich, Steve Wilks, Shurmer, hell, even Vrabel excite me more than a guy who has been in coaching a whopping 4 years at a level above "Quality Control." To me this looks like another McCaskey/Pace eff-up that we'll be lamenting in 3 seasons, just like Fox and Trestman.

Sorry to be a downer. For every McVay there's a bunch of Mornhinwegs. The odds are we got a Marty, not a Sean.

There are sooooo many other good coordinators out there with good systems that have had the job (solo) for more than a season. Frank Reich, Steve Wilks, Shurmer, hell, even Vrabel excite me more than a guy who has been in coaching a whopping 4 years at a level above "Quality Control." To me this looks like another McCaskey/Pace eff-up that we'll be lamenting in 3 seasons, just like Fox and Trestman.

Sorry to be a downer. For every McVay there's a bunch of Mornhinwegs. The odds are we got a Marty, not a Sean.

I haven't read 1 negative thing about the guy, other than he doesn't have much experience. But most people were saying if he was an OC for 1 or 2 more years, he would be the top candidate on everyone's list.

He came here because he believes in Trubisky. That's awesome. He mixes in some spread offense. That's awesome. He's the only OC that Andy Reid allowed to call plays. Great. Andy Reid's coaching tree has more hits than misses. Great.

Is it risky? Yeah. Do we need a lot more talent no matter who the coach is? Yeah. But I don't know how you can't help but be excited about the potential power couple that could be forming between Trubisky and Nagy. Potentially for the next 15+ years.

blmillini

Bloomington, IL
I haven't read 1 negative thing about the guy, other than he doesn't have much experience. But most people were saying if he was an OC for 1 or 2 more years, he would be the top candidate on everyone's list.

He came here because he believes in Trubisky. That's awesome. He mixes in some spread offense. That's awesome. He's the only OC that Andy Reid allowed to call plays. Great. Andy Reid's coaching tree has more hits than misses. Great.

Is it risky? Yeah. Do we need a lot more talent no matter who the coach is? Yeah. But I don't know how you can't help but be excited about the potential power couple that could be forming between Trubisky and Nagy. Potentially for the next 15+ years.

I like the perspective and hope you are right. However, I am imagining more Trestman/Cutler than anything else at the moment. With nowhere to go but up, why not. The upside is Nagy is a star and start moving us in the right direction. The downside, in 3-4 years Nagy and Pace are looking for new employers.

homesickalien

Springfield
After watching the press conference I did like the charisma, energy, and honesty Nagy seems to have in spades. First Bears coach I can ever remember that seems like a guy you can really rally behind.

We'll see how he does, but it seems we have a new bromance in town with Pace and Nagy. Can only help having them on the same page.

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
The Bears might get a little better with Nagy. Maybe will make playoffs in 2 or 3 years. But they will be a wild card team and wont go far.

Both the Packers and Vikings will continue to dominate the division as they always have the last 25 years. Both organizations are committed to winning, and both have shown that over and over again. The McCaskeys remain in control and represent one of the last 2 franchises (along with the Steelers) with original owners from the 1930's.

The old lady is 94 and owns 80% of the team. The family may have to sell off a decent sized chunk to pay estate taxes when she does pass away likely in the next 1-3 years. When that occurs , and new ownership has a major stake in how things are run, we may see significant changes that lead to long term success.

Until then its apply, lather, rinse, repeat.

Frankly, with all the long term likely changes to the NFL game and threats of litigation re head injuries, I don't understand why the family doesn't sell out now. Hard to imagine valuations to continue the trend of the last 20 years.

I like the perspective and hope you are right. However, I am imagining more Trestman/Cutler than anything else at the moment. With nowhere to go but up, why not. The upside is Nagy is a star and start moving us in the right direction. The downside, in 3-4 years Nagy and Pace are looking for new employers.

Agreed, and I will add this. This is the right time to make a high risk high reward hire. We are not ready to contend for a Super Bowl right now. We need more talent and Trubisky is still young and learning. Keep stockpiling talent, let Trubisky grow, grab a couple free agents, and 3 years from now we could be ready to contend. At that point, if Nagy is the perfect coach then we're rolling. If not, then you have the talented squad that can attract a big name guy and Trubisky is in his prime.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
Agreed, and I will add this. This is the right time to make a high risk high reward hire. We are not ready to contend for a Super Bowl right now. We need more talent and Trubisky is still young and learning. Keep stockpiling talent, let Trubisky grow, grab a couple free agents, and 3 years from now we could be ready to contend. At that point, if Nagy is the perfect coach then we're rolling. If not, then you have the talented squad that can attract a big name guy and Trubisky is in his prime.

3 Years? That seems to be setting the bar a bit low. Teams in the NFL can make drastic changes from year to year. Look at the LA Rams. They were 4-12 in 2016 and jumped to 11-5 this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.