Bears / NFL Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
Agree. Beat them now so you don’t have to beat them later.

That said, I think there’s a strong likelihood that the game is meaningless for both teams, with the Bears locked into the #3 and Vikings locked into the #6. If that’s the case, don’t let anyone get hurt and don’t commit anything to tape you don’t want anyone to see on tape.

With the Panthers, Eagles, and Redskins all currently a half game back of the Vikings, it could easily be a win and you're in scenario for them.

With the Panthers, Eagles, and Redskins all currently a half game back of the Vikings, it could easily be a win and you're in scenario for them.
Compare schedules.

The Eagles play the Rams, Texans and Skins
The Skins play Jags, Titans and Eagles. (And are down to their 4th string qb.)
The Panthers play Saints, Falcons and Saints.
The Vikings play Dolphins, Lions and Bears.

The Vikings will be favored to win their next two, although the Dolphins are a bizarre team and who really knows with them. The other three should lose at least one of their next two. If that happens, the Vikes will have clinched at least the #6 spot before the Bears game.

Although, if the Seahawks split the 9ers and Chiefs, the Vikings could be playing for the #5. They’d need to beat the Bears and the Seahawks to lose to the Cardinals. But if that’s the case, I don’t really see the Bears gaining a whole bunch by possibly keeping the Vikings out of the #5 in the unlikely event the Seahawks lose to the Cardinals.

Nickelback Bryce Callahan, who was having a Pro Bowl worthy season, broke the fifth metatarsal in his left foot and his timetable to return is unknown. Sherrick McManis will replace him at nickelback.

Didn't know where to put this, but I will go here, because I will include a Bears player's name.

Just noticed lately how the Florida Gators have had so much talent at the QB positions and really been a pretty average team most years, and it seems didn't use or know how to use the talent.

Florida QB names that I have seen pop up either reading about sports or watching ESPN.

-Jeff Driskel - transferred...now in NFL
-Jacoby Brisset - transferred...now in NFL
-Trey Burton - multi-positional at UF...now in NFL
-Will Grier - transferred...will be NFL
-Cam Newton - transferred...now in NFL

Just kind of weird all the talent they have had at QB and really didn't do anything for them (Burton is kind of an exception, as he was a good player for them.)

One thing to note for Bears fans this weekend is that even if they don't clinch the division, they can still clinch a playoff berth if the Washington NFL Franchise loses at Jacksonville tomorrow.

Didn't know where to put this, but I will go here, because I will include a Bears player's name.

Just noticed lately how the Florida Gators have had so much talent at the QB positions and really been a pretty average team most years, and it seems didn't use or know how to use the talent.

Florida QB names that I have seen pop up either reading about sports or watching ESPN.

-Jeff Driskel - transferred...now in NFL
-Jacoby Brisset - transferred...now in NFL
-Trey Burton - multi-positional at UF...now in NFL
-Will Grier - transferred...will be NFL
-Cam Newton - transferred...now in NFL

Just kind of weird all the talent they have had at QB and really didn't do anything for them (Burton is kind of an exception, as he was a good player for them.)

Will Grier might end up the best of that bunch. Muschamp ran him off after Grier tested positive for a banned supplement.

My understanding is that Muschamp was a real piece of work and may have set that program back a long ways.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
Did anyone else notice the clock issue at the end of the game? When the Bears sacked Rodgers with :15 left, the refs stopped the clock because there was a holding call on GB (which was declined). The clock should have started as soon as the ball was ready for play. But, it did not start until GB snapped the ball for the field goal. So - if there was no penalty on the offense, the clock never would have stopped when Rodgers was sacked. But the holding call allowed them to get their FG unit on the field with the clock stopped. I was prepared to be very annoyed if they had recovered the onside kick.

Did anyone else notice the clock issue at the end of the game? When the Bears sacked Rodgers with :15 left, the refs stopped the clock because there was a holding call on GB (which was declined). The clock should have started as soon as the ball was ready for play. But, it did not start until GB snapped the ball for the field goal. So - if there was no penalty on the offense, the clock never would have stopped when Rodgers was sacked. But the holding call allowed them to get their FG unit on the field with the clock stopped. I was prepared to be very annoyed if they had recovered the onside kick.

Looking online, it appears that the clock stops in the last 2 minutes of the first half and last 5 minutes of the game if a foul is called on either team (whether accepted or declined) and does not start again until the snap of the ball on the next play.

Was at B-Dubs watching the game so I haven't had the chance to post most of the day.

So all I gotta say is this...

NFC NORTH CHAMPS SON!!!

CLUB DUB IS OPEN!!!!

Gonna be so great to have January football in Chicago for the first time in awhile.

Win next week in San Fran or have Dallas lose at home to Tampa next week and the Bears will be no worse than the 3 seed in the NFC which likely avoids a wild card match-up with Seattle, who is a much better team now than when the Bears beat them in Week 2.

the national

the Front Range
There was also their play near the end of the game where our receiver ran out of bounds trying to stop the clock and the refs let it roll. It was a blatant miss.

the national

the Front Range
I've heard this from a couple people now. What exactly makes Seattle much better now? I haven't watched or followed them since week 2 and at that time their O-line was bad, defense not the same as years past, and most had them written off for the year.
Well, they lost today. They are hot and cold.

I think a lot of the "avoid the Seahawks" talk is less the Seahawks and more whoever the 6th seed ends up being.
Options:
Vikings - were 1-3 in last four entering today
Washington - 0-4 entering today
Panthers 0-5 entering today
Eagles 2-3 entering today

None of those teams have looked like a playoff team at any point in the last month.

It is possible that one of them turns it around and starts to look good and peak for the playoffs, but at the moment WC2 clearly looks to be a step behind the Seahawks.

I think a lot of the "avoid the Seahawks" talk is less the Seahawks and more whoever the 6th seed ends up being.
Options:
Vikings - were 1-3 in last four entering today
Washington - 0-4 entering today
Panthers 0-5 entering today
Eagles 2-3 entering today

None of those teams have looked like a playoff team at any point in the last month.

It is possible that one of them turns it around and starts to look good and peak for the playoffs, but at the moment WC2 clearly looks to be a step behind the Seahawks.
Agree. It’s about playing a mediocre team in the first game before having to go on the road against NO or LAR.

Although if the Bears win out and the Rams keep playing like they have these last 2 1/2 games, the point might become moot.

Although if the Bears win out and the Rams keep playing like they have these last 2 1/2 games, the point might become moot.

Precisely.

That sound you heard at the end of the Sunday night game was the window cracking ever so slightly for the Bears getting a first round bye in the NFC Playoffs.

Won't be easy as the Bears would have to go 2-0 their final two games (@San Fran and Minnesota) and Rams would have to split their final two games (@ Arizona and home vs. San Fran). Obviously Bears would have head to head tiebreaker if they tied with the Rams.

If the Saints lose tomorrow night in Carolina (which I don't think will happen given how much of a tailspin the Panthers are in right now), then that could make things interesting as well as the Saints would still have home games against Pittsburgh and Carolina left to play. If the Bears win out and the Saints go 1-2 (including tomorrow night), then the Bears would have them beat on the record in conference games tiebreaker.

I am so happy about winning the north, but i am worried about Nagy three play calls that could have cost us the game

Every game has a handful of plays that could potentially swing it.

I had no issues with any of the calls yesterday. Sometimes they didn't work (fake punt), but they were all in line with the team's strategy of being aggressive and winning the game. It was a much better called game than week 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.