Bears / NFL Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 645583

D
It's really exciting when the Bears are winners - as in championship contenders. My hope is that this win over the Packers is the first in a long run to overtake them in the all-time series lead. I'm not going ape, but there's a little 1985-86 vibe buzzing around. But Ditka's team was superior to this one, I think. As always - the Bears have the best unis in the NFL. Packers are nice, too, but that green and yellow is kinda wienie stuff, ballet. Seriously, I respect the Packers the same as I do the STL Cardinals - both winning organizations. But I love to hate them. Go Bears! Hope Bears' injuries aren't too serious.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
It's really exciting when the Bears are winners - as in championship contenders. My hope is that this win over the Packers is the first in a long run to overtake them in the all-time series lead. I'm not going ape, but there's a little 1985-86 vibe buzzing around. But Ditka's team was superior to this one, I think. As always - the Bears have the best unis in the NFL. Packers are nice, too, but that green and yellow is kinda wienie stuff, ballet. Seriously, I respect the Packers the same as I do the STL Cardinals - both winning organizations. But I love to hate them. Go Bears! Hope Bears' injuries aren't too serious.
I think the Bears are a very good team, but they are a young team. Great defense, but definitely not on par yet with the '85 Bears defense. They realistically could be 12-2 or even 13-1 right now, but remember that '85 team went 15-1 in the regular season in a less diluted league. I think they'll make some noise this year but I think next year is really their year if they can stay healthy. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go 14-2 next season and win it all, especially since I feel like Drew Brees and Brady might hang 'em up after this season (especially so for Brees if they win it all as I could see him wanting to go out on top).

The Bears non-divisional opponents will be the NFC East, the AFC West, the Saints and the Rams. A lot of unknowns before next year, but by default the Bears will be playing a tougher schedule next year than this year. They've played the easiest schedule in the NFL this year by opponent's record.

The NFC East is a mess, but there aren't any really bad teams there and you have to think the Eagles won't suffer as many injuries as they have this year and will be a pretty good team. The Cowboys should also be pretty good, while the Redskins and Giants will be looking for new starting quarterbacks. The AFC West will have two close to elite teams in the Chargers and Chiefs and another pretty good team with the Broncos. The Raiders will be coming out of tear-down stage and heading into build-up stage, but probably still pretty bad. I don't see the Lions being better than mediocre, but the Vikings and Packers will be going through coaching staff changes and might come out better than this year. The Saints (assuming Brees doesn't retire) and Rams will both be very good.

I could see the Bears being a better team next year, but with a worse record.

Deleted member 645583

D
How the heck did the Bears lose to Miami in 85?

That Bears team was, IMO, one best of the all -time NFL teams. Best defense of all time, great offense: McMahon, Sweetness, Suhey, Gault, Gentry, Mckinnon(sp), et al

These today Bears don't match up well - especially at QB.

That was Dan Marino in his prime. Had a great game despite being sacked three times. Also had a fluke TD when the ball bounced off of one of his receivers and into the arms of another one of his receivers who was wide open. McMahon was hurt and had missed the previous three games. Fuller started, was awful, and McMahon tried to come in late to save them and was also awful. They combined to throw three picks. The Bears also lost a fumble and allowed 6 qb sacks. Walter Payton had a great game - 123 yards rushing on 23 carries - and at the time critics said he should have gotten the ball even more considering the qb situation.

People tend to forget that after starting off amazingly in the first 4 or 5 games, McMahon was pretty awful or hurt the rest of the 1985 season, before having a fantastic run in the playoffs.

Without much evidence, I'll predict a 6-10 season.

September 8th, 2018:

tumblr_ozmzxnaeOU1sl2jkoo4_r1_400.gif

From where the Bears were a year ago, what happened?

Obviously the Khalil Mack trade.
The free agent signing of all three starting receivers - Robinson, Gabriel and Burton.
Development of 2017 draftees Cohen and Jackson into Pro Bowlers and Trubisky into a legitimate starter.
Drafting starters Daniels and Smith and 3rd WR Miller in 2018.

That’s adding 7 key players plus developing 3 more beyond what anyone had any right to expect.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
The 85 comps and how they would fare against each other are fun arguments, but not very realistic. The 85 team would not be allowed to do what they did to opposing QBs in today's football. And if we're being real, Bill Walsh laid out a nice gameplan of how to attack that style of defense. I think the quick reads of today's football would do well.

It would be fun to see how the amount of talent from that team could be used today. I can only imagine how Payton would be used in a creative offense that put him in space.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
From where the Bears were a year ago, what happened?

Obviously the Khalil Mack trade.
The free agent signing of all three starting receivers - Robinson, Gabriel and Burton.
Development of 2017 draftees Cohen and Jackson into Pro Bowlers and Trubisky into a legitimate starter.
Drafting starters Daniels and Smith and 3rd WR Miller in 2018.

That’s adding 7 key players plus developing 3 more beyond what anyone had any right to expect.
Adding those players is huge for sure. But I believe just the creativity and ability to game plan from Nagy compared to Fox and the Football for Dummies offensive scheme we had in place last year is just as important.

The Bears non-divisional opponents will be the NFC East, the AFC West, the Saints and the Rams. A lot of unknowns before next year, but by default the Bears will be playing a tougher schedule next year than this year. They've played the easiest schedule in the NFL this year by opponent's record.

The NFC East is a mess, but there aren't any really bad teams there and you have to think the Eagles won't suffer as many injuries as they have this year and will be a pretty good team. The Cowboys should also be pretty good, while the Redskins and Giants will be looking for new starting quarterbacks. The AFC West will have two close to elite teams in the Chargers and Chiefs and another pretty good team with the Broncos. The Raiders will be coming out of tear-down stage and heading into build-up stage, but probably still pretty bad. I don't see the Lions being better than mediocre, but the Vikings and Packers will be going through coaching staff changes and might come out better than this year. The Saints (assuming Brees doesn't retire) and Rams will both be very good.

It's worth pointing out that the home and road games (aside from divisional games) would look like this:

Home: Cowboys, Giants, Chiefs, Chargers and Saints
Road: Eagles, Redskins, Broncos, Raiders and Rams

I personally like their chances with their home schedule and that road schedule isn't that much of a beast. There's a possibility that Raiders game could be in London too.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL

That Bears team was, IMO, one best of the all -time NFL teams. Best defense of all time, great offense: McMahon, Sweetness, Suhey, Gault, Gentry, Mckinnon(sp), et al

Well, that day they may have, if memory serves (MNF, was drinking at R&R), McMahon didn't play. I think it was Steve Fuller. I would take this year's receivers, Mack and maybe the secondary. The rest, I would go with '85 team.

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83

there are a few backstories to that loss that I cant recall at the moment, things that if indeed true, explain a lot of it.
McMahon was hurt a lot that season, and I cant recall if he started that game or not. Fuller did start a fair number of games, in midseason, most notably the Dallas game when we beat them and Danny White like a rented mule. I kinda recall White on the sideline shaking his head "no" when asked if he could go back in when the sub had gotten his bell rung as well !!

I was 2-3 years out of school then, and the game was SUPER HYPED at that time, due to MNF being the lone national game then.
With the 'fins being the only franchise having gone undefeated in the modern era, there was the entire 1972 squad on the sidelines, and they have always held that record up as a HUGE distinction. Although it isn't , really, anymore, with all the scheduling and roster changes the NFL has implemented to stop teams from being dynasties or having easy schedules the year after a championship.

I recall the fluke plays in that game , (tipped pass that should have been an INT going for a TD , and I recall the night being VERY HUMID and warm and many Bear players were gassed . I also recall the referees having the thumb on the scale as well. It wasn't meant to be. Yea , as fans, we were needlessly concerned until the playsoffs started and we went thru the Giants and Rams like a buzz saw , shutting both teams out and just dominating them. Then the SB game, we kicked NE Pats a$$ and that is well documented . I Felt bad for Tony Eason in that one.

That team very well may have been the best team the NFL ever had

Last edited:
Bears down 9-7 at half to the 49ers. Offense has looked really bad thus far with some questionable play calling by Nagy. Defense will likely need to get a turnover or two in order for Bears fans to feel more comfortable about this one.

Also, I get that Gould wasn't good his last year with the Bears, but I miss him.

None of the kickers that have been in Chicago since have had a better season than Gould’s last season with the Bears.

Parky’s cap hit is almost twice as much for the Bears as Gould’s is for the 9ers.

Status
Not open for further replies.