Bears / NFL Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the things I was saying about Trubisky at the beginning of the season was that pretty much all top-5 QB draft picks who "amount to something" make huge statistical leaps from their first year to their second. Their team might not be all that much better and their performance might not be as crisp and polished as you'd want, but the talent shines through enough that they post some pretty huge numbers. You can go back and look at pretty much every top-5 pick QB going back to the Manning/Leaf draft and see the huge numbers gap in the second year between guys who become at least solid NFL starters and the guys who don't.

So, that was something I was paying attention to going into the season.

Well, through 6 games, Trubisky is on pace to throw for... 4,251 yards, 35 TDs to 16 Ints, averaging 7.56 yards per pass attempt (anything over 7 yards is pretty good). He's also on pace to rush for 653 yards and 5 TDs.

Needless to say, if he were to keep this up for the remaining 10 games of the season, that would more than qualify for the huge statistical leap I was looking for.

I saw this on Twitter and will echo it here. The path to (10-6) seems to be broken down into two groups.

Must win - Jets, @Bills, @Giants, @49ers

Then get 3 from Lions x2, Viking x2, Packers, Rams.

I think we can do that. But if we lose one of those must wins I’m not sure we can get 4 wins out of that 2nd group.

I have no idea what to make of the NFC North. Right now it looks like any game could be a 20 pt win for either team.

The Jets, Bills, Giants and Niners are all RRRRRRRRRReal bad. If the Bears are as good as they think they are, they should win those games.

Of the other games, the Rams are the only world beaters there. Just win your home division games, and you're in the playoffs.

Meanwhile, Brock Osweiler looks a lot more like Brock Osweiler when he isn't playing the gimpy-Mack version of the Bears' defense.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Iv
One of the things I was saying about Trubisky at the beginning of the season was that pretty much all top-5 QB draft picks who "amount to something" make huge statistical leaps from their first year to their second. Their team might not be all that much better and their performance might not be as crisp and polished as you'd want, but the talent shines through enough that they post some pretty huge numbers. You can go back and look at pretty much every top-5 pick QB going back to the Manning/Leaf draft and see the huge numbers gap in the second year between guys who become at least solid NFL starters and the guys who don't.

Well, through 6 games, Trubisky is on pace to throw for... 4,251 yards, 35 TDs to 16 Ints, averaging 7.56 yards per pass attempt (anything over 7 yards is pretty good). He's also on pace to rush for 653 yards and 5 TDs.

Needless to say, if he were to keep this up for the remaining 10 games of the season, that would more than qualify for the huge statistical leap I was looking for.
I've been a skeptic about Trubisky until recently. I know he still has a ton of things to work on, but if his numbers pan out to anything resembling this it will be by far the greatest single season a Bears' qb has ever had. Dare I say it a season like that probably puts him only behind Rogers, Brady, Brees, and Rivers and makes him a top 5 NFL qb? Maybe throw Watson in there as he is putting up video game numbers recently. Sorry throw in the kid from the Rams too. Stream of consciousness at four in the morning...

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Iv

I've been a skeptic about Trubisky until recently. I know he still has a ton of things to work on, but if his numbers pan out to anything resembling this it will be by far the greatest single season a Bears' qb has ever had. Dare I say it a season like that probably puts him only behind Rogers, Brady, Brees, and Rivers and makes him a top 5 NFL qb? Maybe throw Watson in there as he is putting up video game numbers recently. Sorry throw in the kid from the Rams too. Stream of consciousness at four in the morning...
From what I am seeing, half the QBs in the league are putting up video game numbers. I heard a discussion a couple of weeks ago, about how OCs are fantastic at scheming receivers to be wide open, and making it easier for QBs to put up these numbers. Making the question, "who is more valuable, a great OC or the QB who runs the system?"

I’d crap my pants if a bears qb had that stat line.

Well it wasn't pretty but I'll take it as the Bears win comfortably. They shouldn't need Mack next week against Buffalo either so get him healthy for those 3 straight divisional games that come after that one.

Kind of a ho-hum win over a bad Jets team.

Main positive was that the Bears played nearly mistake-free football. 2 penalties, I think only 3 or 4 yards lost in sacks, no turnovers.

Trubisky is still very inconsistent. Had an awful second quarter, but I wonder how much that was the wind. Still, some of those throws show the talent he has. The second TD pass being a great example. Still had a qb rating over 100 for the game.

Best game of the year from Howard. Will need him to be more of a factor as the weather gets bad.

Roquan Smith is a keeper.

I hope people are recognizing the great year Bryce Callahan is having. He’s pretty much the perfect nickleback.

Did Floyd get in the game at all? If he did, he was completely invisible out there.

It’s really nice when a lackluster performance is still a relatively comfortable win. Mack should be able to sit out next week against the Bills and let’s hope for some good news on Kyle Long.

Packers lose a tough one. If the Vikings lose tonight we are back in 1st.

Not trying to get too far ahead, but a 6 game win streak would be really nice (and not too far-fetched). That would put as at 9-3 going into two tough games against the Rams and Packers.

Status
Not open for further replies.