Chicago Cubs 2018 Season

MLB needs to retrain their umps, then. Two sets of them got the call wrong.

I would need to read the rule. Didn't look like anything nefarious to me but since I don't know the official rule...there is a difference between being illegal and dirty so I suppose it could be breaking the rule but not with intent to injure.

From what I understand this is what happened and the umpires missed it.

League-wide there seems to be confusion regarding the interpretation of the rule. Officially, the runner's deviation from the baseline to disrupt the play is considered to be interference. So while perhaps it wasn't a "dirty" play with the intent to injure the catcher (e.g., sliding spikes up), it was technically an illegal slide.

[ W ] #33

SWEEP!

Javy stole home and Lester delivered a much needed deep start for a taxed bullpen.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
From what I understand this is what happened and the umpires missed it.

League-wide there seems to be confusion regarding the interpretation of the rule. Officially, the runner's deviation from the baseline to disrupt the play is considered to be interference. So while perhaps it wasn't a "dirty" play with the intent to injure the catcher (e.g., sliding spikes up), it was technically an illegal slide.

What’s deviation from the baseline? To me, if Rizzo can still touch the plate, he’s not out of the baseline. In any event, as per MLB , it’s illegal so...

I think someone else said it a few posts up, but this is similar to the catch rule in the NFL. One day, both leagues will get their respective rules right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
What’s deviation from the baseline? To me, if Rizzo can still touch the plate, he’s not out of the baseline. In any event, as per MLB , it’s illegal so...

I think someone else said it a few posts up, but this is similar to the catch rule in the NFL. One day, both leagues will get their respective rules right.

Yeah - what I don't understand is how the exact same play at the plate and at 2nd base can be called differently. This play happens all the time at 2nd and, as long as the base runner can touch the base, he is allowed to attempt to break up the double play.

Yeah - what I don't understand is how the exact same play at the plate and at 2nd base can be called differently. This play happens all the time at 2nd and, as long as the base runner can touch the base, he is allowed to attempt to break up the double play.

It's illegal at 2nd as well, it's just not officiated correctly.

Collision at home rule:

A runner attempting to score may not deviate from his direct pathway to the plate in order to initiate contact with the catcher(or other player covering home plate), or otherwise initiate an avoidable collision

"Bona fide slide" rule for double plays:

If a runner does not engage in a bona fide slide, and initiates (or attempts to make) contact with the fielder for the purpose of breaking up a double play, he should be called for interference (...) Bona Fide Slide = runner slides within reach of the base without changing his path-way for the purpose of initiating contact with a fielder.

So it's pretty clear, by the rules, that the runner can't, at any base, change their line to the base at the last moment just to make contact with the defender (as Rizzo did).

When issues arise in unequal application of the rule though, managers who don't like the rule have a couple options; 1) try to have your players follow the rule even if it doesn't get called or 2) just ignore the rule since it doesn't get called. Maddon and Rizzo seem to have taken option 2...

In Cubs draft-related news, at pick #24 in round 1, Stanford junior SS Nico Hoerner was selected.

Next selection is pick #62 in round 2.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
So it's pretty clear, by the rules, that the runner can't, at any base, change their line to the base at the last moment just to make contact with the defender (as Rizzo did).

Then the league needs to educate the umps. If the umps don’t call it, how are the players going to know what’s going on?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I just say that the Cardinals who recently signed a $1Billion television contract and have topped 3 million in home attendance 19 of the last 20 years getting a competitive balance pick is just bull.

The shortstop pick is an interesting one. A college guy drafted in the first round is expected to be ready pretty quick.

ETA - It almost goes without saying that the Cubs have done very well with collegiate hitters under the current regime.

Last edited:
Can I just say that the Cardinals who recently signed a $1Billion television contract and have topped 3 million in home attendance 19 of the last 20 years getting a competitive balance pick is just bull.

The shortstop pick is an interesting one. A college guy drafted in the first round is expected to be ready pretty quick.

ETA - It almost goes without saying that the Cubs have done very well with collegiate hitters under the current regime.

I thought this was more of a there’s nobody here we love pick. Let’s sign somebody way below slot and save money for later.

Serious Late

Peoria via Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque vi

I was looking over the draft rules and read about the compensation picks before looking at the list of competitive balance picks. When I saw the Cardinals were one of the teams receiving a competitive balance picks, I was floored. That is a struggle to rationalize...

It's illegal at 2nd as well, it's just not officiated correctly.

Collision at home rule:

"Bona fide slide" rule for double plays:

When issues arise in unequal application of the rule though, managers who don't like the rule have a couple options; 1) try to have your players follow the rule even if it doesn't get called or 2) just ignore the rule since it doesn't get called. Maddon and Rizzo seem to have taken option 2...

Similar argument in basketball, where guys jump out of their way to initiate contact and get the call. If that shooter shot like that normally, he'd find a seat on the bench next to the coach :D

One question to ask: if the runner was not trying to break up a double play, would they make that slide? Imagine a stolen base at second, trying to leg out a double etc. Would you slide to make contact with the fielder? No, you slide to avoid a tag and not make contact.

I am in favor of good slides trying to break up DP's, and agree the issue is in the inconsistent enforcement of the rule.

Hoerner seems like a pretty high floor pick. I like that he can likely play anything up the middle. I trust the Cubs FO and think it is a solid pick. The logic of "draft SSs that can hit and move them as needed" is valid.

Compensatory picks for Wade Davis (Rockies) and Jake Arrieta (Phillies) are California HS OF Cole Roederer at #77 and University of San Diego RHP Paul Richan at #78, respectively.

[ W ]alkoff #34!

He has his detractors, but I absolutely love Jason Heyward.

Walk-off grand slam!!!!

Follow-up: We as Cub fans are so incredibly lucky to have Len Kasper as the TV play-by-play announcer. What a fun call. And Jim Deshaies is a perfect compliment.
https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1004569479592992768

i still miss Bob tbh. But I think Jim has more humor and might fit better with Len. Either way, they are solidly 1B in chicago sportscasting team behind Pat and Eddie. Once hawk retires, the overall talent raises about tenfold too...