Chicago Cubs 2018 Season

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
I went to the game yesterday and sat in the bleachers. I never thought they would squeak that one out as I watched innings 7,8 & 9 from sluggers and got a break from the sun.

watching Chatwood pitch is not fun. I think its time he gets moved to the bullpen and pitch long relief and we give one of the guys in Iowa a chance to pitch for 2-3 weeks. Chatwood is not right.

Something is up with his mechanics or his head, but he needs a break from starting every 6 days.

I think both Chatwood and Hickey have said publicly that Chatwood is having problems with his mechanics. But yes, it’s like pulling teeth watching him pitch right now.

With Alzolay and Butler both hurt (and Darvish) and all of Mills, Tseng, and Underwood having rough years at AAA, the Cubs’ high minor league pitching depth is pretty crappy right now. I don’t think they want to dip down into AA for a guy to start multiple games. (Although some of those 2016 picks are having nice years down there.)

So, barring a trade, I think Chatwood is going to keep getting starts until either Darvish or Butler come back. And I wouldn’t hold my breath in either case.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
This starting staff is going to kill the bullpen. Other than Lester none of them can make it through six innings and most of the time they only go five or five plus. There is no help coming from the minors either. As much as I like Jed and Theo, they have not developed pitching from within the organization.

This starting staff is going to kill the bullpen. Other than Lester none of them can make it through six innings and most of the time they only go five or five plus.

Cubs bullpen is 8th in the NL in innings pitched. Entering today’s game, league average was 315 IP. Cubs’ bullpen had pitched 317.2. Dodgers, Giants, Braves and Brewers are all among the teams that have used their bullpens more than the Cubs.

That’s just the way the game is played now. Teams used to carry 6 relief pitchers. They now carry 8. Rosters are set up assuming they’re going to use about 4 relievers a game.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Cubs bullpen is 8th in the NL in innings pitched. Entering today’s game, league average was 315 IP. Cubs’ bullpen had pitched 317.2. Dodgers, Giants, Braves and Brewers are all among the teams that have used their bullpens more than the Cubs.

That’s just the way the game is played now. Teams used to carry 6 relief pitchers. They now carry 8. Rosters are set up assuming they’re going to use about 4 relievers a game.

I don't disagree with you that the game is trending this way. But if so why would you ever pay a starter more than $15 million or so?

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
I was just looking up some Cub salaries and it's amazing the production they are getting for the dollars they are paying some of these young guys. Baez and Contreras, two starting All-Stars, are making $1.275 million between them. Schwarber is only at about $605,000. Russell is at $3.2 million. And with arbitration they have control for several years to come on some of these guys.

I don't disagree with you that the game is trending this way. But if so why would you ever pay a starter more than $15 million or so?

I was just looking up some Cub salaries and it's amazing the production they are getting for the dollars they are paying some of these young guys. Baez and Contreras, two starting All-Stars, are making $1.275 million between them. Schwarber is only at about $605,000. Russell is at $3.2 million. And with arbitration they have control for several years to come on some of these guys.

I feel like you answered your own question. Under Theo, the Cubs have always operated under the acquire young, cost-controlled bats and sign/trade for quality arms philosophy.

I think we saw in free agency this year that a lot of teams aren’t.

Darvish’s was the biggest contract signed in the offseason. Compared to projections, the Cubs basically got a free year out of the deal. They’re getting 6 years for the price most thought they’d get 5. It’s also extremely front loaded. So at the end, he’s “only” making $18-$19M per year. Arrieta is making more per year, but far less of his contract is guaranteed.

Looking at the free agent class next year, Kershaw is the only potential free agent who will make anything close to those two contracts and with all his injuries this season, he’s not even a sure bet to opt out.

I think we’ll see a guy like Patrick Corbin, who would have cashed in in the past, get right around that $15M figure.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Am I wrong to be worried about Rizzo? This will be the third year in a row that his WAR has decreased and it currently stands at zero this season. I wonder if he is hurt and if his back problems are serious. In last night's game he simply dropped two throws in the fifth inning and was charged with errors on both plays. I know the throw from Baez kind of handcuffed him, but he just doesn't look right.

Am I wrong to be worried about Rizzo? This will be the third year in a row that his WAR has decreased and it currently stands at zero this season. I wonder if he is hurt and if his back problems are serious. In last night's game he simply dropped two throws in the fifth inning and was charged with errors on both plays. I know the throw from Baez kind of handcuffed him, but he just doesn't look right.

I agree another downward trend will be bad, but given how poorly his first month and a half went, if he can put together a great second half, I think you're safe.

If the .240 BA stays (without a major power increase), then doubt can creep its way in. I think for the Cubs, it isn't a huge issue--his contract is far from burdensome and we have the pieces to mask even average 1B play.

Rizzo recovered from an abysmal April and was very good in May and the first week of June. Now he’s been horrible again for about the last month.

I have to wonder if his back is acting up on him again. He doesn’t look comfortable out there. That said, his BABIP is among the lowest among qualifying position players. So bad luck might be a big part of it.

The Cubs have $16.5M options on him in 2020 and 2021. It was unthinkable just 6 months ago that they might not pick those up. But looking at how cheap power hitting 1st basemen are and the season Rizzo is having, if he doesn’t pick his performance way, way up over the next season and a half the Cubs might actually decline that option.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
I have to wonder if his back is acting up on him again. He doesn’t look comfortable out there. That said, his BABIP is among the lowest among qualifying position players. So bad luck might be a big part of it.
If he is unable or refuses to go the opposite way more against that ridiculous shift they play against him, this will continue to be the case. How many times have we seen a rocket hit by him into right field that was fielded by the second baseman?

As much as it’s possible to feel good about losing a series 2-1, you have to feel good about Hendricks’ and Quntana’s starts and about Bryant hitting a homer in his first game back.

Rizzo meanwhile looks like the ASB can’t come soon enough for him.

[ W ] #53

Rizzo goes the opposite way with 2 outs in the 9th to tie it and Javy does his thing to take the lead in extras.

Cubs back in first!

Brewers have now lost 5 straight after the Pirates swept them today.

It's about time that stupid team began its inevitable slide down the standings.

MLB scheduling is so bizarre. From the beginning of the Brewers' first loss through the end of the Brewers' fifth loss, the Cubs played 1 game.

It's about time that stupid team began its inevitable slide down the standings.

MLB scheduling is so bizarre. From the beginning of the Brewers' first loss through the end of the Brewers' fifth loss, the Cubs played 1 game.

I'll be very interested in seeing how seriously the Brewers pursue Machado by the deadline. I feel they'd be better suited bulking their rotation, but who's to say?

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
[ W ] #55

Sweep!

Cubs have placed themselves in a great position at the break.

On track to win 96-99 games , which will be enough to win the division and if they can play as well as they should , can win 102 games and win the home field for the playoffs.

Now , lets go NL on Tuesday night and win the home field for the WS