Chicago Cubs 2018 Season

Looks like Cobb is most likely going to be added. That probably eliminates the possibility of bringing back Arrieta. Arrieta is trending down and he doesn’t strike me as someone this front office will want to throw $100 million at. Way to many high pitch count games and not the same stuff anymore. I think Happ and Schwarber have a good chance to be dealt to address the leadoff position (Inciarte?) and the bullpen (Britton?). There isn’t much in the minor leagues to deal anymore and the positional depth of the major league roster will have to be compromised to help on the pitching side. Should be an interesting offseason.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
I think Happ and Schwarber have a good chance to be dealt to address the leadoff position (Inciarte?) and the bullpen (Britton?).

I have no problems with trading Schwarber (should have done it last year), but I won't be happy if they trade Happ. He hit 24 HR in 115 games as a rookie last season. That equates to 34 over a 162 game season. Plus he can play 2B or in the OF.

If you only trade players you don’t mind trading you don’t get difference makers back. The Cubs have a plethora of resources in positional depth and they need to reallocate some of those to the pitching side. I’d love it if they could do it with a Zobrist salary dump and moving Caratini. That’s just not going to produce a return that they need on the pitching side.

Looks like Cobb is most likely going to be added. That probably eliminates the possibility of bringing back Arrieta.

Most predictions I've seen for Cobb have him signing for 3-5 years and for $12-$16 million per year. If his contract falls in there some place, that would absolutely not preclude the Cubs from making a second big free agent starting pitching signing.

If Arrieta agreed to a four year deal, they could sign both Cobb and Arrieta.

Again, I think Arrieta will get that 5th and 6th year from another team.

I’d love it if they could do it with a Zobrist salary dump and moving Caratini. That’s just not going to produce a return that they need on the pitching side.

Might not get them a starting pitcher, but might net them something like Zach Britton for the pen.

Caratini and Sisco would give the Orioles a real nice righty/lefty catching combo for the next five years.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
Don't be surprised if many teams start asking for Adbert Alzolay. BA just named him the Cubs #2 prospect, and I was surprised he wasn't #1. He made huge strides in 2017 and just performed very well in the Arizona Fall League. I'd hate to part with his potential but, if he can help land an established starter, it might be worth it.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
I have no problems with trading Schwarber (should have done it last year), but I won't be happy if they trade Happ. He hit 24 HR in 115 games as a rookie last season. That equates to 34 over a 162 game season. Plus he can play 2B or in the OF.
I agree with you on Happ. I think he has a high ceiling and just needs to work on his plate discipline. I don't think Schwarber has much value at this point. I was reading an article by Jesse Rogers from the winter meetings and his discussions with other league executives and scouts confirmed as much.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
Cubs are one of the 6 finalists for Ohtani, with Dodgers, Giants, Padres, Mariners and Rangers being the others.

Stay tuned.

Can the Giants (or Dodgers for that matter) add both Stanton and Ohtani? I know the Dodgers aren't in it for him (seemingly).

I kind of like the Cubs chances for landing Ohtani. They aren't small market or West Coast but he could play OF and Maddon is great about getting guys playing time.

I kind of like the Cubs chances for landing Ohtani. They aren't small market or West Coast but he could play OF and Maddon is great about getting guys playing time.

I dont think I want one of my starting pitchers to be playing the OF 4 out of 5 days. Maybe he can do it, but I think it undercuts his value as a pitcher while probably not adding much offensively (certainly not defensively). I think the AL fits him nicely because he could theoretically DH everyday, or maybe only ever 3/5 or so. Same could be said about playing the OF in the NL, but still.

That said, him in cubbie blue would be fantastic.

Can the Giants (or Dodgers for that matter) add both Stanton and Ohtani?

Ohtani will be playing for the Major League minimum for his first three years and then be subject to arbitration for the next three after that. So from a budget and luxury tax standpoint, Ohtani won't restrict anyone from adding payroll via trade or free agency.

There's the $20M posting fee whoever signs him will have to pay the Japanese league, but to big market teams like the Dodgers, Giants and Cubs, that's pretty much pocket change.

Whoever gets Ohtani is getting the best under-24 pitching prospect in the world for 6 years at a cost of probably around $65-$70M, posting cost included. That's an incredible bargain. Which is why 27 of the 30 teams put in bids to negotiate with him.

Oh, I think people have WAAAAAYYYYY overstated Ohtani's desire to be a hitter. He wants to hit some. Not necessarily everyday. 4 of his 7 finalists are in the NL. The three AL teams that are his finalists all have well-established DHs (Choo in Texas, Pujols in Anaheim and Cruz in Seattle) that won't be giving up too many at bats to a rookie pitcher.

Hey champaignchris, Tyler Chatwood to the Cubs! Christmas came early!

3 years, $38 million.
http://www.bleachernation.com/2017/12/07/boom-cubs-sign-righty-tyler-chatwood-to-a-three-year-deal/

Yup! Been banging on the Chatwood drum since at least June. Young. Big curve ball. 94-ish mph fast ball. Huge road splits. All those pitches that were gappers at Coors are going to be lazy popups at Wrigley because he’ll actually be able to spin his curveball.

Nice price, too, for three years. Doesn’t rule the Cubs out of Cobb or whatever other free agents they might want. Very happy with this.

In case anyone is looking at Chatwood's "baseball card" stats and is wondering what I'm smoking, take a look at his numbers over the course of his 6-year career when pitching in Coors versus not in Coors...

ERA: 5.17 to 3.75
Hits/9 innings: 10.2 to 8.6
HR/9 innings: 1.17 to .78

Those are not small sample size numbers. 254 innings in Coors. 393.2 elsewhere.

And this doesn't mean the Cubs are necessarily out of the Ohtani sweepstakes. The Cubs were going to get two starting pitchers this offseason. Chatwood is one of them.

In case anyone is looking at Chatwood's "baseball card" stats and is wondering what I'm smoking, take a look at his numbers over the course of his 6-year career when pitching in Coors versus not in Coors...

ERA: 5.17 to 3.75
Hits/9 innings: 10.2 to 8.6
HR/9 innings: 1.17 to .78

Those are not small sample size numbers. 254 innings in Coors. 393.2 elsewhere.

And this doesn't mean the Cubs are necessarily out of the Ohtani sweepstakes. The Cubs were going to get two starting pitchers this offseason. Chatwood is one of them.

I'll continue the bandwagon.

"Chatwood, 28, has a 4.31 ERA in 130 MLB appearances, but is tied with Stephen Strasburg for second in the NL in road ERA the last two seasons, with a 2.57 mark. #Cubs"
https://twitter.com/GaryCohenVL/status/938837465292525569

Stanton headed to the Yankees. This is great for the Cubs...

A. Stanton isn’t headed to a NL team.

B. The Yankees are out as a bidder in the Harper sweepstakes next year. (And make no mistake, the Cubs are going to go all in on signing Harper next year.)

Possibly C. If the Rays and/or Jays think they can’t compete in the AL East now, they may make Stroman or Archer (more) available in a trade. Even if the Cubs aren’t the one they’re traded to, it takes someone else out of the bidding for Cobb/Arrieta/Darvish.

Stanton headed to the Yankees. This is great for the Cubs...

A. Stanton isn’t headed to a NL team.

B. The Yankees are out as a bidder in the Harper sweepstakes next year. (And make no mistake, the Cubs are going to go all in on signing Harper next year.)

Possibly C. If the Rays and/or Jays think they can’t compete in the AL East now, they may make Stroman or Archer (more) available in a trade. Even if the Cubs aren’t the one they’re traded to, it takes someone else out of the bidding for Cobb/Arrieta/Darvish.

A.1. More specifically, Stanton isn't going to the Cardinals.

B.1. What a great trade for the Yankees (assuming there are no further snags). By including Castro in the trade, they open the door for Torres at SS or 2B at some point in 2018 or 2019.

B.2. I heard a talking head on CBS Sports Radio today lamenting the unfairness of the trade for Miami. Loria doling out that contract forced the new ownership's hand. I can't fault the Yankees here.

B.3. Get Bryce Harper.

C.1. Stroman or Archer are quite fun to think about in Chicago. They are two of my favorite pitchers in the league. Stroman may cost more because he's 3 years younger, but either would be a fantastic fit on the north side.

Gotta feel bad for Starlin Castro. Traded from the Cubs before 2016. Traded from the Yankees to acquire Stanton.

I still root for him and I hope he gets flipped to a contending team. The Angels would be a fun destination.

Gotta feel bad for Starlin Castro. Traded from the Cubs before 2016. Traded from the Yankees to acquire Stanton.

I still root for him and I hope he gets flipped to a contending team. The Angels would be a fun destination.

Starlin will always have a soft spot in my Cubs fan heart.

In other news, here's the first report I've seen this winter linking the Cubs to Chris Archer. And closer Alex Colome for that matter.

#Cubs seem likely to pursue #Rays closer Alex Colome and ace Chris Archer. Getting both would take a monster return, however. It's going to be a fun week at Winter Meetings.
https://twitter.com/philgrogers/status/939584206451216384

Last edited: