Chicago Cubs 2018 Season

bdutts

Houston, Texas
If you are satisfied with the wild card game, good for you. I expect more from the talent on this team. 16-13 in their last 29 games is not what I call turning it on.

To be clear, I said they had a good season with great talent. I'm pretty sure Theo would not consider this a phenomenal season. Yet. They could still win it all and I'd love to be surprised.

Actually, the year they had showed their depth. They got nothing out of 40% of their starting pitchers, lost Morrow for half the year, lost Bryant for a good chunk of the year, lost Russell for some time, had no closer in September, lost Heyward to a couple of stints on the DL, Contreras had a down year. It’s been a better year than it probably should have been.

Actually, the year they had showed their depth. They got nothing out of 40% of their starting pitchers, lost Morrow for half the year, lost Bryant for a good chunk of the year, lost Russell for some time, had no closer in September, lost Heyward to a couple of stints on the DL, Contreras had a down year. It’s been a better year than it probably should have been.

All true, but that doesn't fit the narrative. :p

With the hope that I make myself look like a clown: This offense is trash and the Cubs are going to lose.

If the Cubs don't win tonight you'd have to imagine big changes in the offseason, especially with the offense being so incredibly hot and cold.

El Mago!

ucywVRq.gif

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Man, last year and this year I've told myself, "Baseball doesn't matter that much. Cubs already won the World Series in my lifetime. I shouldn't get greedy. Don't care about this game. Don't care, just don't do it."

And then I care so much.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
If the Cubs don't win tonight you'd have to imagine big changes in the offseason, especially with the offense being so incredibly hot and cold.
Not sure what changes you can make other than hope guys like Schwarber and Happ get better. Maybe Contreras also, and hope Bryant gets back into form. Not sure who will be available in free agency. Well Harper and Machado are the biggies but that will entail breaking the bank.

Last edited:

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Always nice to see champagne popping by two different opponents on back to back days in your home park. :doh:

bdutts

Houston, Texas
Not sure what changes you can make other than hope guys like Schwarber and Happ get better. Maybe Contreras also, and hope Bryant gets back into form. Not sure who will be available in free agency. Well Harper and Machado are the biggies but that will entail breaking the bank.

Here are the questions I have, having thought about this overnight. :)

Starting pitching: I'll assume that Yu comes fully back. The question is, do you pick up Hamels option? I am thinking yes at this point but if they do, can they afford to sign another big name position player? If no to Hamels, what do they do with Chatwood? Do they try to reclaim him somehow or do they dump him? Will they look to trade position players to get another starter?

Relief pitching: I will assume Morrow makes it all the way back. While I like the ERA from the guys overall, I am not sure they have enough "swing and miss" in them as compared to other pens (Milwaukee a prime example). Edwards has some when he can find the zone and Strop does as well. Wilson, too. But they aren't flamethrowers like other pens are. I'd like to see them shore it up a bit. I don't think they need major changes but a couple of tweaks should be good. I have no idea who's available so I cannot even comment on who they should pick up.

Position players: The biggest question to me is Kris Bryant. Is he going to be healthy enough to play at 3B or do the Cubs see him as an OFer due to his shoulder? Putting him in LF will definitely help his shoulder but guys would have to be moved out (one of Schwarber, Happ, Heyward or Almora). If they see Bryant as an OFer, then signing Machado to play 3B makes sense, assuming they can afford him and keep under the luxury tax (since they have said they want to stay under). If Bryant stays at 3B, I don't see them being a real player in the Harper derby due to the fact it would put them over the luxury tax cap (pending shipping guys out like Heyward, for example).

Also, what to do about Russell? Are they going to keep him (suspend him) or will they release him or trade him? I think Bote has shown enough that he can handle 2B so I could see an infield of Machado, Baez, Bote and Rizzo if they decide that Bryant's position is OF. I think Russell's admin leave ends today so perhaps we will hear something about that soon. Not sure which Russell is the real Russell. Is it 2016 Russell or 2018? Time will tell of course but assuming he's in good standing with the league, his defense alone should be enough to get something in return for him should they want to trade him.

I am disappointed at the end result but overall, I thought it was a pretty darn good year for all the stuff they went through. Hope the guys rest up and they get ready to bring it in 2019.

They are going to break the bank and sign Harper or Machado. They’ve been planning for this off season for some time. They might even announce the free agent signing when they announce their new television deal.

They’ll also probably sign a second catcher that can hit some. They can’t go into another season expecting Contreras to catch 130 games.

They will attempt some sort of salary dump. Zobrist could be dealt. Happ or Almora might get bundled with Heyward or Chatwood. Don’t know if they’ll be successful in this regard. If they do manage a salary dump, they’ll sign a relatively cheap infield free agent.

I think Russell will be suspended for half the year. The Cubs will simply waive him before the suspension is over.

It will be really tempting to pick up Hamels’ option. I bet they don’t. Instead, they try to trade for a young “change of scenery” pitching candidate - maybe Stroman, Bundy, or Fullmer.

I think they really like Chavez and will try to re-sign him. Then they’ll sign one other relatively prominent reliever. The reliever market is full of great pitchers next year. If they are patient, they might get a steal.

Scooter Gennett is sort of a poor-man’s Daniel Murphy. He’s entering the last season of his contract with the Reds and might be a decent candidate for mid-season trade pickup.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
Scooter Gennett is sort of a poor-man’s Daniel Murphy. He’s entering the last season of his contract with the Reds and might be a decent candidate for mid-season trade pickup.

Scooter had a 4.5 WAR this season, which puts him in the top 5 of all 2B (and Top 50 in MLB). I don't see him signing anywhere where he's not given the chance to play every day. I don't think the Cubs can offer that to him.