Chicago Cubs 2018 Season

Scooter had a 4.5 WAR this season, which puts him in the top 5 of all 2B (and Top 50 in MLB). I don't see him signing anywhere where he's not given the chance to play every day. I don't think the Cubs can offer that to him.

He’s not a free agent. As I said, he’s entering the last year of his contract with the Reds and might be a nice mid season trade pick up.

If the Cubs don't go into the luxury tax this offseason, its because they've either a) traded some of their more expensive contracts, or b) are not trully committed to this current teams success. No other way around it, they have money to spend, about as solid a young core as you can get, and a pitching staff that isn't getting younger.

I prefer Machado to Harper, think he's a better fit for this team (I'm all in on Bryant being a corner outfielder). Wouldn't be surprised to see Machado be an everyday leadoff man. If not, then they really, really need to find an answer to that. I would be fine with Harper too ;)

I'm going to continue to complain about Maddons jumbling of the order until it proves we can get consistent offensive results. I wont blame the entirety of the offensive woes on it, especially these last couple games, but consistency is key in baseball.

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Position players: The biggest question to me is Kris Bryant. Is he going to be healthy enough to play at 3B or do the Cubs see him as an OFer due to his shoulder? Putting him in LF will definitely help his shoulder but guys would have to be moved out (one of Schwarber, Happ, Heyward or Almora). If they see Bryant as an OFer, then signing Machado to play 3B makes sense, assuming they can afford him and keep under the luxury tax (since they have said they want to stay under). If Bryant stays at 3B, I don't see them being a real player in the Harper derby due to the fact it would put them over the luxury tax cap (pending shipping guys out like Heyward, for example).

The issues he's had are with his left shoulder. I don't think being at 3B or LF really impacts his shoulder. Just needs to heal.

One thing I loved seeing last night, even through the tensions of an extra innings/win-or-go-home elimination game was the excitement and fun the guys were having. Rizzo was like a kid in the dugout with a smile ear-to-ear. This team has fun, and that's what makes them so enjoyable to watch.

A few things I am foreseeing for the offseason:
  1. Despite the early exit, the offseason is quite welcomed. A lot of players (especially Bryant) just need to get healthy.
  2. Russell being cut is one of the first transactions.
  3. A big run for Harper or Machado is brought in. This has been an offseason the front office has been eagerly anticipating for a long time.
  4. As bdutts stated, the relief needs some power arms. As a lefty myself, I appreciate finesse, but they need some fire.
  5. Going off of champaignchris' points, I think Happ is dealt over Almora and several rotation options will be explored.
  6. Many fans of opposing franchises will direct the "Yankees treatment" toward the Cubs for buying some players.
Lastly the postseason unfolds, I am pulling for Cleveland, Oakland, and Colorado.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
One thing I loved seeing last night, even through the tensions of an extra innings/win-or-go-home elimination game was the excitement and fun the guys were having. Rizzo was like a kid in the dugout with a smile ear-to-ear. This team has fun, and that's what makes them so enjoyable to watch.

A few things I am foreseeing for the offseason:
  1. Despite the early exit, the offseason is quite welcomed. A lot of players (especially Bryant) just need to get healthy.
  2. Russell being cut is one of the first transactions.
  3. A big run for Harper or Machado is brought in. This has been an offseason the front office has been eagerly anticipating for a long time.
  4. As bdutts stated, the relief needs some power arms. As a lefty myself, I appreciate finesse, but they need some fire.
  5. Going off of champaignchris' points, I think Happ is dealt over Almora and several rotation options will be explored.
  6. Many fans of opposing franchises will direct the "Yankees treatment" toward the Cubs for buying some players.
Lastly the postseason unfolds, I am pulling for Cleveland, Oakland, and Colorado.
I'm just wondering what value guys like Happ, Almora, and even Schwarber have at this point. You would be selling low in my opinion. And picking up Hamels option is an easy move, but for 20 million $? Just too pricy for a position that is decreasing in value.

And picking up Hamels option is an easy move, but for 20 million $? Just too pricy for a position that is decreasing in value.
Ok so I highly doubt the Cubs pick up that 20m option. But, how likely is it that Hamels comes back on a cheaper deal? Does not picking up the option burn the bridge of resigning him for less? Worst case he still seems poised to be a 4.5 ERA guy who can be a long relief spot start guy. never a bad thing having two of those guys around, i.e. see what happened this year.

I think Schwarbs has way more value to an AL club. Really think he could give us a 2/3 starter if packaged rightly.

'They will attempt some sort of salary dump. Zobrist could be dealt. Happ or Almora might get bundled with Heyward or Chatwood. Don’t know if they’ll be successful in this regard. If they do manage a salary dump, they’ll sign a relatively cheap infield free agent.'

I think Almora has very decent trade value, but why would you not want him as your every day CF?? I honestly can't imagine any team touching that Heyward contract unless the Cubs are willing to eat a majority of it, just a terrible terrible contract. And the Cubs would be lucky to get a bag of used baseballs in return for Chatwood, one of the worst statistical pitchers in baseball this year. Not much trade value with what you are saying between Zo, Heyward and Chatwood at all.

A Heyward trade only works if a team needs an outfielder and has a bad contract to send back to the Cubs that isn’t as expensive as the Heyward contract.

Heyward was awful in 2016. He’s been merely disappointing in 2017 and 2018. Without any consideration of his contract, he can help a team in the outfield. You can make his cost reasonable to another team if you eat a ~$50M contract from that other team. Cubs wouldn’t be getting any player that would be worth anything. It would simply be about replacing Heyward’s contract with a somewhat less expensive contract. And so you only do it if that’s what you need to do to sign Harper or Machado.

There were a few teams last off season (the Giants before they traded for McCutcheon was one) that looked like they could have been decent fits, but the Cubs never explored it because Heyward had a No Trade Clause and made it clear he wouldn’t waive it. That clause has expired and the Cubs can trade him to whoever they can make a deal with now. I haven’t looked at rosters next year to see who would be a good fit.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
The issues he's had are with his left shoulder. I don't think being at 3B or LF really impacts his shoulder. Just needs to heal.

Thanks, thought it was his throwing shoulder.

I'm just wondering what value guys like Happ, Almora, and even Schwarber have at this point. You would be selling low in my opinion. And picking up Hamels option is an easy move, but for 20 million $? Just too pricy for a position that is decreasing in value.

If you believe what is said by other GMs, Happ has value due to him being a switch hitter, a guy with power, plays multiple positions and has speed. And he's still really young.

A guy like Schwarber has value only as a potential DH. Almora would have to prove he could hit getting 600 ABs and then he'd have value.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Machado be an everyday leadoff man. If not, then they really, really need to find an answer to that. I would be fine with Harper too ;)

This came from Sahadev Sharma, responding to a tweet with a similar sentiment: They (Cubs) had the highest OBP from the leadoff spot in the NL, second-highest in baseball. He (whoever it was on that day) went, then no one else did. It was a team-wide offensive failure, especially in the second half. Not a leadoff issue.

Cleveland, Oakland then don't really care after that. I suppose the Stros since I live in Houston but really don't care otherwise. For the record, I do think Houston will win it all again. I think they'll have a challenge coming out of the AL but will steamroll whatever team represents the NL.

I think Almora has very decent trade value, but why would you not want him as your every day CF??

He doesn't take walks and I am not sure he'll hit enough when getting 600 ABs. I think he hit .230 or so after the break. Part of the reason his stats were what they were IMO is due to them putting him in the right situations to succeed.

Not to mention, he's an injury waiting to happen with the way he plays CF (which I love BTW).

Saw this from Jesse Rogers: Those aren’t reports. Just speculation. Big difference. Tune in at 1 CT on Espn 1000 and I’ll give you the scoop! RT @henryprobst19: @ESPNChiCubs thoughts on reports that cubs will Fire Maddon after last night’s loss, hearing that Girardi, David Ross and derosa are candidates

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Just responding to some of the points made-Almora did hit only like .232 after the break and has absolutely no power. I think this limits his value and he went from starting center fielder at mid-season to being platooned again the last month and a half. And re-thinking my position on Hamels, there is a $6 million buyout on his contract, so picking up the option is really a question of paying an additional $14 million instead of $20 million.

I find the people who gripe about Schwarber’s platoon splits while simultaneously demanding that Almora play every day to be... interesting.

The analytics also like Schwarber as a fielder way more and Almora way less than popular opinion does.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
I find the people who gripe about Schwarber’s platoon splits while simultaneously demanding that Almora play every day to be... interesting.

The analytics also like Schwarber as a fielder way more and Almora way less than popular opinion does.
I think some of your positive feelings about Schwarber may be based too much on OPS, which many people are now starting to question as to how important of a number that is. On Bernstein's show on the SCORE they have a stats guy on once a week, cant remember his name, and he was on yesterday. I'm not a big metrics guy but apparently they have some new stats to determine how a player does in his most highly leveraged, or "clutch" situations. According to this guy in Schwarber's 66 most leveraged, or clutch at-bats, he had two singles. Those were the only hits in the 66 plate appearances. I think that speaks to the type of season he had.

Rough end, but they kept playing. I'm mainly putting it on the injuries.
For me, now I'll just enjoy the rest of the playoffs as a baseball fan. Still fun to be had.

As for armchair GM in me:
1. Fiddle with the bullpen, as others have said. Morrow and Strop (pick up his option) is a good start. Nothing really wrong with the bullpen besides health, but I think you always fiddle with it.
2. I'd prefer to not pick up Hamels option, $20M is just too much. However, I'd try to wait and see what the market shakes out to be as that could end up being market price. I'd rather get him for $30 over 2. Not sure if he'd take that short though. I think it ends up being picked up with Cubs crossing their fingers on it.
3. Get everyone healthy.
4. If I don't go all out on Harper or Machado, I try to buy out FA years on Hendricks. Maybe Baez. I just feel Hendricks would be more open to it.
5. Find a viable back up C. Contreras needs help back there.
6. Try to find some more flexibility with respect to Heyward's contract.

I'm not sure if I go all in on a FA this year. Always tempting, but the money might be better spent cleaning up in house.

Deleted member 645583

D
Read Theo's comments about the season. I, too, can't "fathom" how a team that scored no more than one run in 40 games still won 95 games!
Something other than dead bats during those 40 games might have been at play. Baez hinted at it: chemistry, spirit, outlook etc.

Yeah, sure, Cubs looked tired at the end; but all teams are pooped at the end of the season. I bet they were pooped in 2016, but they were on a roll and having fun winning; that energizes a team.

Poor Bryant: he said his left shoulder was fine. I don't think so. Rest, I hope, will cure it. Bad shoulder, right or left, will affect hitting. Yeah, he got the guy at second, but the throw from left field was not a bullet. Left shoulder trouble can even affect a righty.

The loss to Rockies was a pitcher's duel. Rockies and Cubs both looked lousy at the plate overall. I can't beat up the Cubs for that loss, but I wonder what the heck the 40-game thing was all about. Any ideas?

I think (hope) Theo will figure it out.

In a way, this season was somewhat like '69.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 645583

D
I'd say that '69 was far worse. YMMV.
I said somewhat. Yes, you're right. But there seemed to be an attitude in both seasons that "we can't win it." Check out "Cubs of '69", Banks, of all people, telling Holtzman some of team weren't winners. I may be wrong here. Will check. Incidentally, hell yes, Big Ern was a winner!. My favorite, Mr. Banks; Lou Gehrig second.

But I say 95 wins is a great season. Do you want to regress to 1950s when I grew up loving the Cubs despite their losing ways? Hell, no.

YMMV doesn't sound too good; will look it up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 645583

D
I said somewhat. Yes, you're right. But there seemed to be an attitude in both seasons that "we can't win it." Check out "Cubs of '69", Banks, of all people, telling Holtzman some of team weren't winners. I may be wrong here. Will check. Incidentally, hell yes, Big Ern was a winner!. My favorite, Mr. Banks; Lou Gehrig second.

But I say 95 wins is a great season. Do you want to regress to 1950s when I grew up loving the Cubs despite their losing ways? Hell, no.

YMMV doesn't sound too good; will look it up.
Looked it up, YMMV. Not an insult. But let's speak English, OK? Not newspeak. This interweb lingo drives me crazy Lot of room for misunderstanding. Speak, text English! Thanks, Si?

I'd assume he'd be gone, too. If that's the case, why wait to dump him?

Pretty sure rosters are frozen during the playoffs. Also, he's arbitration eligible, so you don't just "dump him", you non-tender him. That deadline isn't until December.
They could make an announcement that they will not tender him a new offer now, but that would be unprofessional on multiple levels.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
Pretty sure rosters are frozen during the playoffs. Also, he's arbitration eligible, so you don't just "dump him", you non-tender him. That deadline isn't until December.
They could make an announcement that they will not tender him a new offer now, but that would be unprofessional on multiple levels.

Dump him means to get rid of him outside of a trade. Couldn't they flat out release him?

I don't think rosters are frozen. For example, today, the Pirates sent a guy to AAA and the Blue Jays designated someone for assignment. Maybe during the WS rosters are frozen.