Chicago Cubs 2019 Season

Shane Walsh

aka "Captain Oblivious"
Cynthiana, Kentucky
hard to imagine they aren't thinking real hard about this possibility now that Morrow wont be pitching for awhile, if ever
I predict that a Kimbrel signing will happen at some point after July 1st by a team in contention and willing to outbid others for his service. [captain obvious]

I predict that a Kimbrel signing will happen at some point after July 1st by a team in contention and willing to outbid others for his service. [captain obvious]

June 6 is the date I’d look at. The draft pick penalty goes away once the June draft is done. After that’s gone, there will be a lot more suitors for him.

The Cubs are now .004% ahead of the Brewers in the standings, too.

It's been a fun first month with a week to go.

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
It's amazing what happens when pitchers don't walk hitters...
aint that the truth!

Q was throwing them right where he wanted to last night and the home plate ump was no friend to him. There were many calls that were a bit incorrect. Joe was letting him have it.

That said, I had to laugh when Roberts was out arguing Baez' elusive base running skills, (wasnt that AWESOME?) and he basically told him it was the First base umps judgment and nothing ,he or Roberts, could do about it.

Loved Baez's juke; such a low risk, high reward try. I wouldn't have cared if they called him out of the baseline (though I think he was within his line). He didn't give up on the play.

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
it was so classic Baez. not sure there are 5 other guys in a MLB starting line up who can do that .

He is just so good with the tag, and eluding the tag, that it makes me laugh

Having been an ardent Jason Heyward supporter since his arrival, this April has been lovely to watch unfold.

Also, I have zero interest in Addison Russell playing SS when he returns. Javy is just too good.

Chilliniwek

Chicagoland
Also, I have zero interest in Addison Russell playing SS when he returns. Javy is just too good.

I agree 100%, I've always believed Javy has the better arm, instincts and range. Russell can play second like he did when he first got here. And I truly hope Russell has been able to see and change the errors of his ways, and come back and be an integral part of the team again. Good luck to him, but at second!

bdutts

Houston, Texas
[ W ] #12

Javy. Heyward.

Man, Heyward has been on such a tear. Good thing, too, with Bryant and Rizzo underperforming so far. I'd be happy with him hitting 0.250 with a 1:1 K/BB rate while playing stellar D.

I agree 100%, I've always believed Javy has the better arm, instincts and range. Russell can play second like he did when he first got here. And I truly hope Russell has been able to see and change the errors of his ways, and come back and be an integral part of the team again. Good luck to him, but at second!

I also agree. I wonder why so many were so quick to say all offseason that Javy would move back to 2nd when Russell is back.

There had been arguments made that Javy was better at SS for the past few years, and when there is finally a natural or organic way to switch them, it is all "Russell will go back to SS and Javy to 2nd." I think Javy is better and has earned it.

The question isn't who is a better shortstop, it is what makes the best lineup. If Javy is a 10 at SS and a 9 at 2B (rankings made up) and Russell is a 9 at SS and 7 at 2B, then it makes more since to play Russell at SS and Javy at 2B. Optimizing a lineup doesn't require you to optimize each individual spot.

The question isn't who is a better shortstop, it is what makes the best lineup. If Javy is a 10 at SS and a 9 at 2B (rankings made up) and Russell is a 9 at SS and 7 at 2B, then it makes more since to play Russell at SS and Javy at 2B. Optimizing a lineup doesn't require you to optimize each individual spot.
I agree, but I'd have to say that they are both probably darn close to a 10 at short (and I personally give Baez the edge), and Baez is a 10 at 2nd....Russell can't be far off there either. Who knows though. I did just read an article that said they are going to work on moving Russell around in the minors since Javy is playing so well at short.

This is off-topic for the "Chicago Cubs 2019 Season" thread, but being a member of this community over the past few years has served as very important piece of self-care for me as I trudged through my doctoral program.

With that, I am very happy too share that today I successfully defended my dissertation, and I'd like to thank you lovely IL members for letting me talk baseball with you over the years. Go Cubs!

chiefini

Rockford, Illinois
This is off-topic for the "Chicago Cubs 2019 Season" thread, but being a member of this community over the past few years has served as very important piece of self-care for me as I trudged through my doctoral program.

With that, I am very happy too share that today I successfully defended my dissertation, and I'd like to thank you lovely IL members for letting me talk baseball with you over the years. Go Cubs!

Congratulations!

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas

Your welcome.

:thumb:

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Hendricks has really been bad so far. If his location with his pitches is just a bit off or if he's not getting good movement, his stuff just gets pummeled.