Chicago Cubs 2019 Season

bdutts

Houston, Texas
I liked the David Bote walk of slam video and the thought process behind it.

After a slow offseason, it's become extension season (Trout; $68/minute for the next 12 years, Goldschmidt, Snell, Arenado).

And Ichiro retired today. One of the greatest of my lifetime. Incredible what he did coming to MLB from Japan at age 27. #HoF

bdutts

Houston, Texas
I hadn’t been paying attention. OPSing .389 in Spring Training... yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

Ian Happ (2017 and 2018) owns the worst two strikeout percentages for a player in a single season in Cubs history (min 400 PA). Also OPS of .803 or something like that.

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
Ian Happ (2017 and 2018) owns the worst two strikeout percentages for a player in a single season in Cubs history (min 400 PA). Also OPS of .803 or something like that.
its time for Ian to make an appointment with an optometrist .

The league obviously knows his weaknesses, and its time for him to get 4 at bats everyday and correct it. The Cubs cant afford 3 whiffs every game or every other game. Crazy, a year ago he led the Cactus league in homers .

Cubs extending Hendricks through 2023 with option for 2024. No details yet, but I imagine it will be in line with the other extensions we’ve seen this offseason - Nola, Severino, Mikolas, Snell, etc.

Basically, 5 years for $63M guaranteed, with a vesting option for an additional $14.5M in 2024 and incentives that could bring the total to almost $80M.

Chump edit - I no math good. Changed guaranteed total after Ian posted the correct total in the Tweet below.

Last edited:
Happy Opening Day! First pitch at 3:05 central time.

Cubs @ Rangers, Lester vs. Minor.

Very excited for the season!

Man, that Rangers' starting pitching staff is gruesome! Vozquez and Smiley didn't pitch last year. Miller pitched 16 innings and had an ERA over 10. Neither Lynn nor Minor got more than 160 innings. Yohander Mendez, their 24-year-old top MLB-ready pitching prospect is going to miss the first half of the season with a strained UCL. And for some reason, they just released Jason Hammel, who hasn't been good since leaving the Cubs (and arguably wasn't any good before coming to the Cubs) but could have at least provided them some innings.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
Man, that Rangers' starting pitching staff is gruesome! Vozquez and Smiley didn't pitch last year. Miller pitched 16 innings and had an ERA over 10. Neither Lynn nor Minor got more than 160 innings. Yohander Mendez, their 24-year-old top MLB-ready pitching prospect is going to miss the first half of the season with a strained UCL. And for some reason, they just released Jason Hammel, who hasn't been good since leaving the Cubs (and arguably wasn't any good before coming to the Cubs) but could have at least provided them some innings.

I think Hammel retired.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
I know Chavez pitched poorly for Texas yesterday, but did the Cubs make any attempt to re-sign him after last season? He was great after the Cubs acquired him.

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
il_fullxfull.1320570832_5djo_360x.jpg