Chicago Cubs 2019 Season

Schwarber was hosed in that final at bat. League-wide the umpiring has been trash this year. Automation needs to integrate its way into baseball more quickly.

Deleted member 526137

D
Schwarber was hosed in that final at bat. League-wide the umpiring has been trash this year. Automation needs to integrate its way into baseball more quickly.

Bote up with the bases loaded would have been interesting.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Looking at the replay I think the call could have gone either way. In slo-mo it looked like he offered at it, he just can't be doing that on a pitch in the dirt in that situation.

If you get this Q, then yes. If you get the normal Q, then no.

What's the "normal" Q? Is he more likely the guy who posted a 2.2 WAR last year or the one that averaged 4.1 WAR a season for six years before that? If you take his whole career into account, the Q of the last couple starts is a lot more normal than what we got last year.

The Q trade was worth it. He's got a sub 4 ERA as a cub. We traded from an area of surplus for an area of need. The fact is, Eloy/Cease would've contributed nil over the past couple seasons, whereas Q has given us a solid 3/4 starter.

Anyone who thinks we gave up too much for that trade obviously doesn't understand how most MLB trades work.

The Q trade was worth it. He's got a sub 4 ERA as a cub. We traded from an area of surplus for an area of need. The fact is, Eloy/Cease would've contributed nil over the past couple seasons, whereas Q has given us a solid 3/4 starter.

Anyone who thinks we gave up too much for that trade obviously doesn't understand how most MLB trades work.

The way to evaluate trades was to decide if it worked at the time and then treat everything that happened after that as dumb luck.

At the time, the Cubs desperately needed young, controlled, MLB level starting pitching. They got one of the most valuable ones on the market, Quintana had just put up 4 straight seasons of 200 innings and 4 to 5 fWAR and was under an insanely valuable contract.

And at the time, Eloy looked promising and was rated highly by scouts, but he was in high A ball. Nobody in A ball is a slam dunk to even make the majors, none the less be a perennial starter. Cease was also in A ball and had control issues.

Quintana immediately jumping his walk rate by 1 per 9 innings and those 2 guys actually panning out doesn't really matter as far as trade value. The trade was good.

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
the trade was good then, and its still good now. IF the Cubs had Eloy, I don't know if he would be playing yet in the bigs. In order to get him into the lineup, who's position to do you give him right now ?

Q is a solid #3 starter. That we happen to have 5 guys who are all valid mlb starters is a luxury few teams have. Almost undoubtedly one will go down for a little, and we will be happy we have the other 4. Not sure is Chatwood will ever be what he once was.

Its really nice to have Lester, Darvish, Hamels, Hendricks and Q as the starters . That is about the most solid group of 5 in the MLB this year.

[ W ] #8

Hot take for the second night in a row: The Cole Hamels trade and extension was 100% worth it.

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
when all is said and done , pitching is what wins a World Series......the offense is just what is fun to watch the other halves of the inning

If/when the Cubs can put together 7-8-9 in a row, the fact we were 5 back after 7 games wont matter anymore

Non-Cubs items...

I’ll take the Cubs situation over the Red Sox. They’ve been bad and the Rays have been fantastic. So the Sox are 8 1/2 games out already. That Rays team is legit. Won 90 last year and are probably better this year. And the Sox’ record is not some fluke. They’ve been awful. Only the Marlins have a worse run differential in MLB.

Did anyone else see the crazy Joey Votto stat? Tonight, he popped up to the first baseman for the first time in his 13-year MLB career. How is that even possible? For a left-handed batter, you’d figure he’d catch one off the handle or maybe get way out ahead of a change up at some point, but no. Dude seems to make nothing but solid contact. Anyway, my favorite non-Cub position player for a while now. I think he’s a HoFer when it’s all said and done.

Chilliniwek

Chicagoland
Non-Cubs items...

I’ll take the Cubs situation over the Red Sox. They’ve been bad and the Rays have been fantastic. So the Sox are 8 1/2 games out already. That Rays team is legit. Won 90 last year and are probably better this year. And the Sox’ record is not some fluke. They’ve been awful. Only the Marlins have a worse run differential in MLB.

Did anyone else see the crazy Joey Votto stat? Tonight, he popped up to the first baseman for the first time in his 13-year MLB career. How is that even possible? For a left-handed batter, you’d figure he’d catch one off the handle or maybe get way out ahead of a change up at some point, but no. Dude seems to make nothing but solid contact. Anyway, my favorite non-Cub position player for a while now. I think he’s a HoFer when it’s all said and done.

In almost 7,000 at bats!

bdutts

Houston, Texas
What's the "normal" Q? Is he more likely the guy who posted a 2.2 WAR last year or the one that averaged 4.1 WAR a season for six years before that? If you take his whole career into account, the Q of the last couple starts is a lot more normal than what we got last year.

What's the normal Q? His total WAR with the Cubs, including this year, is 3.8. His average WAR with the White Sox is 3.55 (21.3/6). I'd take the White Sox guy of course but it's still debatable whether or not he was worth giving up that package for.