Chicago Cubs 2019 Season

bdutts

Houston, Texas
[ W ] #68

Bryant is having a great season.

And extend Castellanos now. Never have I witnessed a player become acclimated so quickly to a club and city. He's a perfect fit.

Not sure he's been tested in the outfield but his D play hasn't been bad.

Or heaven forbid, if we have to do the wildcard play-in game...

If the Cubs are in the WC play-in game, it will be in Washington with Max Scherzer as the opposing starter. If that’s the case, the Cubs will be doing well to be having a lead to blow in the first place.

Not sure he's been tested in the outfield but his D play hasn't been bad.

Yeah. The reports out of Detroit had me expecting him coming out with his glove on his foot or something.

He’s looked like a relatively competent corner outfielder thus far. He’s long and gangly and a pretty ugly runner, but he seems to catch the ones he gets to.

Deleted member 645583

D
Today's result only underscores my appreciation of Greg Maddux as a "defensive" pitcher - a true sixth infielder. Maddux squared up after each pitch and prevented many a ball from going up the middle.

I watched today's game; on Wick's last pitch it looked like he was falling off the mound but then righted himself. Had he not, that ball might have ended up in center field, and who knows what then would have happened in a 1-0 game.

Well done, Mr. Wicks.

Pitchers everywhere: watch a Maddux video. (But I still don't think his uniform number should have been retired or flying jointly with Fergie's). Don't fall off the mound - develop pitches, keep it low, placement, throw some junk.

Memory lane: I could hit, but I was a lousy infielder when I was switched to third in high school.

At 11 I faced a guy who looked like he was seven feet tall and was a straight fastballer. OK, me a shrimp. Result: homer, me, to direct center field. The guy later became a teammate in high school and a Big 8 linebacker.

Hitters everywhere: don't fear the fastball unless you're up against Sandy Koufax, Bob Gibson, Nolan Ryan, Walter Johnson, Goss Gooseage et al.

Thanks for your time.

A good hitter will beat a fastballer most of the time. You can quote me, no charge.

A fastballer just wants to get it over the plate; a good hitter knows that. Advantage: hitter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
If the Cubs are in the WC play-in game, it will be in Washington with Max Scherzer as the opposing starter. If that’s the case, the Cubs will be doing well to be having a lead to blow in the first place.

True. But on the chance we do have a one run lead going into the late innings, color me worried.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Cubs' offense is so frustrating. After coming back and scoring 12 runs on Wednesday, they predictably get five hits over the next two games. Also if the Cubs made the first round of the playoffs and a five game series were to start tomorrow, Lester would be in the pen.

Baseball is a long season with a lot of games. Eventually the bounces even out and the law of averages catches up to you; eventually you are what your record says you are.

And for over three months, the Cubs have been a team struggling to play .500 baseball.

We caught the Nationals at the wrong time. Had a really bad feeling about that series going into it. We still have 7 games left against the Cardinals, 4 of them being at Wrigley where we're 6-0 against them. If we can stay within a few games of them going into that home series, we're still in this. Can't keep falling behind though.

I'm an eternal optimist who is eagerly awaiting September baseball.

How soon we forget how terrible a century the Cubs had.

[ W ] #71

Oh this beautifully flawed team.

source.gif